National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't younger kids allowed to order from the adult menu, and vice versa? I don't think my kids ever ate from a kids menu. My mom (age 87) does though, because her appetite is smaller now.

Kids can order from either menu as can adults. I always allowed, even suggested my children and my grandchildren order from the adult menu. There were times when they were in their younger years the children's menu at dinner sounded better. I let them splurge, it was just a short time, so they had dessert for Lunch and Dinner. This made their trip more memorable. Amtrak should have Children's meals that are appealing to Children, but also healthy. Even my youngest to travel didn't want a big plate of french fries with her plate of mac n cheese. She asked for apples or similar. Yes, she was young, but her sister had Type 1 at 3, so all our kids knew we all ate the same in our house and as much as possible out.

Back when the Hot Dogs were still very good, (Pretzel Buns and Kosher Weiners)I would often order one for Lunch from the Kiddie Menu since Amtrak served very large portions at all meals.

Although I'm not a huge Pizza fan, on long,traveler type trips, I would order the not too bad Pizza from the Kid Menu as a change of pace.

Back when the Hot Dogs were still very good. . .
You mean they're not very good anymore? I ate two of them a few weeks ago and thought they were very good! On no!! Don't tell me I haven't yet earned my Food Snoot badge!!! ;)

And Hebrew National hot dogs are no longer kosher? Oh no!! Wait - I'm Lutheran, so it's mox-nix (whew).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hebrew National Hot dogs are still considered a good product by most. The inconsistencies in how they are nuked for service by different LSA has been pointed out here before, and it can make a big difference. I do miss the pretzel roll though, nice change of pace.

You can tell I'm not into haute quisine - my favorite hamburger and hot dog buns are the ones you get at the gas station. My farm-girl Mom would fix me soup and a hot dog for lunch, putting the wiener in the soup to warm it up. Good stuff! :D

Here's how to nuke a hot dog without shriveling it to death :) : place the dog in a bun; wrap the bun and dog in a paper towel; nuke on high for about 45 seconds. Depending on the strength of your micro, YMMV. Then top with chopped onions [a must], and other condiments to your liking. Jalapeno peppers does it for me, but I live in Texas!

Here's how to nuke a hot dog without shriveling it to death :) : place the dog in a bun; wrap the bun and dog in a paper towel; nuke on high for about 45 seconds. Depending on the strength of your micro, YMMV. Then top with chopped onions [a must], and other condiments to your liking. Jalapeno peppers does it for me, but I live in Texas!
I put mine in the microwave for 30 seconds and add the bun at the 20 second mark. It does depend on the dog sometimes. My current dogs I found I need to only nuke it 25 seconds (and still add the bun at the 20 sec mark).

For the record, the updated the menus on the trains that typically have diner lite service (48,49,50,51,58 and 59) are now posted.
And still no ingrdients lists. Losers. Do I have to file an ADA lawsuit to get them to pay attention, or can someone suggest a better first move? Maybe a personal letter to Wick?

For the record, the updated the menus on the trains that typically have diner lite service (48,49,50,51,58 and 59) are now posted.
And still no ingrdients lists. Losers. Do I have to file an ADA lawsuit to get them to pay attention, or can someone suggest a better first move? Maybe a personal letter to Wick?
Personal letter to Wick definitely. If you were to sue, that'd provide evidence that you made a good faith effort to resolve the problem without litigation.

I'm not sure the lawsuit would help. It is an area where the ADA is deficient. Not bad on non discrimination in employment or services because of allergies, but just about a zero on ingredients. FDA rules on disclosure of "major food allergens" still don't help people with the less common ones.

I'm going to be on the Meteor soon and will have dinner (just a short trip, so will only be dinner this time.) Of the two noodle bowls, is one less spicy than the other? (I'm ok with spices like ginger, just not super-spicy like hot peppers.) Which would you suggest?

I have already made up my mind to have the lemon tart, so don't need dessert suggestions.

I love spicy foods myself. Especially those from Mexican and Thai cultures. I also really enjoy fresh pico de gallo and/or fresh salsa on just about anything except for sweet foods. That being said I cannot remember having anything remotely "spicy" on Amtrak. In the past I've added salad dressing to Amtrak's eggs and veggies just to give them a bit of flavor.

Well, looking more closely, I see that one of the noodle bowls has a huge amount of calories, and the other says "Made by Amy's" (glorified TV dinner?). So I may have to stop trying to be vegetarian this trip and just go back to the steak. At least I'm not going all the way to Florida and would have to look at the cows in the agribusiness farms as I'm eating steak. :(

Although they seem to have ruined the steak by having soybeans in the veggies. Am I imagining it, or was there a time when broccoli was the veggie? My ideal train menu would have a broccoli omelet for breakfast and broccoli as the standard veggie, but I have a feeling I would be greatly outvoted! :p

Considering that my favorite hot dog (as in the discussion above) is right off a Philly street cart, and I have just been persuaded to try something in pink sauce from the cafeteria at work, I'm not sure why I'm so fussy about my train food! :giggle:

Back when the Hot Dogs were still very good. . .
You mean they're not very good anymore? I ate two of them a few weeks ago and thought they were very good! On no!! Don't tell me I haven't yet earned my Food Snoot badge!!! ;)

And Hebrew National hot dogs are no longer kosher? Oh no!! Wait - I'm Lutheran, so it's mox-nix (whew).
Actually, there is a controversy in the Jewish world about whether Hebrew National products are kosher. The rabbis of my denomination say they are. Other groups have a different opinion. If you really want the gory details, read this: http://blog.rabbijason.com/2012/06/are-hebrew-national-dogs-kosher.html

Also, for those who are really into this, there's the issue of whether the bun was made with dairy products, which would make the resulting combination not kosher.

Actually, there is a controversy in the Jewish world about whether Hebrew National products are kosher. The rabbis of my denomination say they are. Other groups have a different opinion. If you really want the gory details, read this: http://blog.rabbijason.com/2012/06/are-hebrew-national-dogs-kosher.html
Also, for those who are really into this, there's the issue of whether the bun was made with dairy products, which would make the resulting combination not kosher.
Thanks for the additional info. Was totally unaware of these sorts of things.

Interestingly enough, Amtrak IS aware of these things and talks about the Hebrew national dog + bun combination in its "food facts," which I quote:

"Hebrew National Hot Dog

All-beef, hot dog produced under strict Kosher rabbinical supervision.

Note that the bun is not Kosher therefore this item can’t be considered a true Kosher menu option."

I'm not sure the lawsuit would help. It is an area where the ADA is deficient. Not bad on non discrimination in employment or services because of allergies, but just about a zero on ingredients. FDA rules on disclosure of "major food allergens" still don't help people with the less common ones.
Well, it's been ruled that the allergies are disabilities. Providing an ingredients list *which Amtrak already has access to* seems like a very minimal reasonable accomodation to me. I'm not even asking that they provide any food I can eat, I'm just asking them to pass on the ingredients lists they get from their suppliers so I can *tell*.

I'll try writing a letter to Wick and the board members personally, since I've tried everyone lower down in the bureaucracy already over the past few years...

Interestingly enough, Amtrak IS aware of these things and talks about the Hebrew national dog + bun combination in its "food facts," which I quote:

"Hebrew National Hot Dog

All-beef, hot dog produced under strict Kosher rabbinical supervision.

Note that the bun is not Kosher therefore this item can’t be considered a true Kosher menu option."
In this context, "the bun is not Kosher" probably means that it wasn't produced in a certified-Kosher facility, under a rabbi's supervision. It might, or might not have dairy ingredients.

In case you're not confused yet: Even if the bun were certified kosher, if it had dairy ingredients it would NOT be kosher to eat it with a hot dog. And in any case, a yeast-risen roll would NOT be kosher during the week of Passover.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to try and make a situation better for someone. I was just pointing out that it is an area where rules and regulations are weak. Allergies certainly can be disabilities, but the rules for dealing with them are not forceful for the public, more so for employment. I still hold the door for people, offer to carry packages to the car for people, and on days when my hip allows me, I'll give up my seat on the bus. The fact that we meed rules to tell people what they should want to do anyway says alot about society.

Had dinner on the Meteor yesterday--steak (very good, even if smaller than they used to be), huge baked potato, veggies that tasted better than they look. Salad brought immediately without asking (I was in a roomette, so it did come with the meal). Absolutely delicious lemon tart for dessert.

They had to swap the diner out, on 19 with the one that arrived on 20, so left NY 4+ hours late. The shrimp and steak was good, better than I expected. No rolls or salad though. Breakfast was decent too, had the omlette grits and bacon. The new croissants aren't quite as good as the old ones but they make less of a mess, not being quite as flaky. And easier to deal with, more like a biscuit than a croisant.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to try and make a situation better for someone. I was just pointing out that it is an area where rules and regulations are weak. Allergies certainly can be disabilities, but the rules for dealing with them are not forceful for the public, more so for employment. I still hold the door for people, offer to carry packages to the car for people, and on days when my hip allows me, I'll give up my seat on the bus. The fact that we meed rules to tell people what they should want to do anyway says alot about society.
The issue of ingredient list showed promise when the Food Facts site included them for the Chef Inspired entrees (which are all pre made, off train), but then it fails to list them

on the newer heat and eat entrees for the Cardinal, CONO, and Lake Shore.

http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/restimg2/force/template/1/Amtrak__Food_Facts/w432/h340/AMFF-SPRING-2017-40.pdf

Consistency has never been a strong point for Amtrak's food service.

Ken

Back