National Train Day 2013!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
Does anybody have a clue if it will be on May 4 or May 11

I went to Chicago last year and had a blast! :D

I want to book my time off from work, now that I can.

Has anybody heard anything yet?

Thanks...

I will be traveling on the the S.W. Chief from Lax to Chi, should I expect more people at the stations? Is this a big event should I plan on getting to the stations earlier than normal to ensure I catch my train?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were on a train to or from DC I would consider NTD to be a major impediment to easy movement to or from the tracks. Can't speak to CHI's impact though.

There will be lots of people in the grand hall and there will be train displays on several tracks on both the north and south sides of the station, but it shouldn't impact access to trains.

I was going to go to CHI for it, but 261 is going to be fired up that weekend to go to Duluth, so i am going that way instead.. Next year for sure I am going to CHI for NTD!

Any plans for a meet up of the group so far? On the eastern U.S. on the NE corridor, only PHL and WAS have any significant festivities but I wonder if Grand Central will have it again this year. NTD is just before my CHI trip and I would really like to attend this one.

Does anyone know what if anything is planned for Grand Central Terminal? And do we know if Washington DC will be back in business for NTD this year?

Per Amtrak's Facebook page, NTD will be at WAS and doesn't look like it will be at GCT.

Festivities at GCT will occurre on national train day. They will be sponsored by Metro-North Railroad not Amtrak. See the GCT Centennial info mta.info

It sounds like the only decent Amtrak NTD exhibits on the East coast in 2013 will be at WAS and PHL. I am open to attending either but PHL tends to be a less stressful, less congested event. I am also open to GCT but without Amtrak its not known what exhibits will be there. Whatever the group decides I will attend.

Because I hope to attend National Train Day by arriving in the morning and leaving in the afternoon on the Silver Meteor, I probably will only attend NTD in either WAS or PHL since NYG will not work for a day trip for me.

I assume that if AU plans to meet as a group, it will be posted sometime in the not too distant future.

I haven't seen anything definite, but the indications on here seem to suggest that a group will be meeting at PHI. A shame; if I go to anything, it's much more likely to be WAS. I'd be happy to meet up with anyone else going there.

If I go, it will be WAS for me, unless of course there is an equipment display with a "can't miss it" car or two in Philly. But I think that is unlikely if there is an NTD event in WAS. Besides I would also lik to take advantage of the usual 2x or 3x AGR thing to gather a few thousand AGR point and a thousand TQP too. Can't do so going to Philly.

I will do NYG on the other day of that weekend.

I am seriously leaning towards WAS and thinking about making reservations tonight. I went to PHL last year.

I have no problem going to either GCT, WAS or PHL. I prefer PHL for its smaller crowds but WAS will hopefully have the AGR card holder line rules this year. GCT shows this on the schedule:

Grand Central will be anchored by a rare public display of historic train cars in the Terminal. One of the historic train cars returning to Grand Central Terminal will be “The Most Famous Train in the World”, The 20th Century Limited. Other historical trains include Pullman, NY Central and business cars of yesteryear. This free, family friendly weekend will be filled with many fun activities, performances, and a “railroadiana” artifacts and trade show, sure to appeal to transportation enthusiasts of all types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back