National Train Day 2013!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of us will go to ORL then! :giggle:
I get no respect!!! :eek: :wacko: I am not sure they are aware of NTD in ORL - I was in ORL on NTD two years ago - on my way to WAS (as you recall, Dave, I ran into you and Jim in WAS, the day after NTD). I wished the ticket agent a "Happy National Train Day" and he looked at me as if I was from Mars (but then again I get those kind of looks fairly often). :ph34r:
Maybe he thought you were from KIN. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about going to WAS and have a question. Do people here thing there would be superliner equipment on display there? In the past, was this equipment there?

Last year I went to PHL to check out what a viewliner sleeper is like for a trip that me and the wife were planning. Now our ideas have changed, and maybe going farther out west which would be superliner and I wanted to get a feel what the roomettes are like.

Thanks!

Two years ago they had a couple of Auto Train pax cars as well, which are definately interesting to see, as they are nicer than standard Superliner equipment.

It is official. I am going to the events at GCT this year. I have had New York on the brain for some time now.

My reservations were just made. I will be at GCT Saturday May 11.

I hope to see anyone else who plans to go there.

Please get in touch with me if you will be there.

After reading through this thread it appears that members are making their plans without considering a central meeting place. I must admit that GCT sounds like a good train event that features original NYC 20th century and Pullman cars. PHL can be fun as its not as hectic there as WAS and GCT. WAS sounds like PHL but a bit larger and more crowded. However, if there is a planned meet up place for most in the group I'll try to make that location. If it were strictly my choice I would head over to GCT. I wasn't around when the 20th Century LTD ran and the fully restored lounge car that will be on exhibit should give a look on how elegant train travel was back then.

I've sent in an information request to the California State Railroad Museum about them hosting any NTD events, since none are listed on their museum calender. So far, no reply. Actually, getting information from them (I tried, but never heard a peep in return, volunteering with them multiple times; I'm a firefighter and a state employee already too!) is pretty slow and usually difficult. Since SAC as a station will undoubtedly be out of commission for hosting any activities with its current "construction-site" state, the museum is the best alternative I can think of in the SAC area.

I will be on the 4pm Acela out of WAS on Saturday. I will be getting off at MET where my car will be parked, and go home from there. On Sunday I will take NJT from Short Hills to NYP sometime in the morning and then subway from there to Grand Central.

Why is the design theme of the advertising for NTD 2013 the same as last year, 2012, namely an eye inside a camera lens hovering above train tracks? This would be the first year Amtrak did this.

Why is the design theme of the advertising for NTD 2013 the same as last year, 2012, namely an eye inside a camera lens hovering above train tracks? This would be the first year Amtrak did this.
If it's the same as last year, wouldn't it be the second year they did this? :wacko:

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...

...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D

It looks like WAS is getting lots of interest on the East Coast so I'll start to check the train schedule from Metro park today. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back