National Train Day 2013!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will likely take the Crescent to WAS from CVS - on Sat the NER doesn't arrive until 1:30 pm. Then I could take another NER to NYP late afternoon - I could take the Acela, of course, for an extra $75. Then I'll take the Lynchburger back home on Monday.

It looks like WAS is getting lots of interest on the East Coast so I'll start to check the train schedule from Metro park today. .
I am on the 8:27am Acela out of Metropark to WAS and returning on the 4pm Acela as mentioned above.
I will book the same trains tomorrow both ways to NTD WAS. As soon as I book, should you want to join me for some chat on the way down, I'll gladly provide more contact info The Acela saves about 30 minutes travel time each way over the regional train . Not great but I'll take the hour savings. Does anyone know if the ClubAcela lounge is open at WAS?

For us west coast types, from Facebook: I will probably be in PDX. Anyone else?

Aorta - Association of Oregon Rail and Transit Advocates
National Train Day! Saturday, May 11 at Portland Union Station (10 am - 4 pm). Free admission. Live Steam locomotive, Amtrak and other rail equipment on display. Stay tuned for a possible major announcement about something else that may appear at this exciting event!
I am arriving in PDX at 3:35p on the CL CS and catching the EB at 4:45p on the NTD, not sure if you will still be there. I am not sure if I will have time to even get into the station for anything more than checking in for the EB.

Last edited by a moderator:
For us west coast types, from Facebook: I will probably be in PDX. Anyone else?

Aorta - Association of Oregon Rail and Transit Advocates
National Train Day! Saturday, May 11 at Portland Union Station (10 am - 4 pm). Free admission. Live Steam locomotive, Amtrak and other rail equipment on display. Stay tuned for a possible major announcement about something else that may appear at this exciting event!
I am arriving in PDX at 3:35p on the CL and catching the EB at 4:45p on the NTD, not sure if you will still be there. I am not sure if I will have time to even get into the station for anything more than checking in for the EB.
Think you meant the CS June ;) ! (unless Amtrak has started running the Cap thru to PDX from CHI!!! ^_^ )

Just got ticketed to NTD for WAS NTD.

Train 2203 Acela Express Business Class

LV MET 8:27 AM

AR WAS 10:57 AM

Train 2220 Acela Express Business Class

LV WAS 4:00 PM

Anyone ticketed for the same train who wants to meet up and ride down just let me know.

No exhibits or train tours posted as yet for WAS but it should be nice. Does anyone know if an AGR cardholder line will be on the gate to tour the trains. It was really nice using it last year.

We'll be hosting a National Train Day event at Tampa Union Station again this year, complete with Amtrak equipment.

If you are in the area, come join us! Better yet, take the train even if you are far away and come join us!

Details below.

Sincerely,

Jackson McQuigg

President

Friends of Tampa Union Station

Join Us at Tampa Union Station for National Train Day!

FTUS%20logo.png

10 AM-5 PM

Tampa Union Station, 601 No. Nebraska Avenue, Downtown Tampa

Free Admission

Celebrating the 144th Anniversary of the driving of the Golden Spike marking the completion of the transcontinental railroad and the 15th Anniversary of Tampa Union Station's restoration!

TUS%20Charlie%20Cacioppo%20Photo%20NTD%202011.jpg

Features this year include:

Amtrak equipment on display!

Exhibits! Operation Lifesaver, Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers, Amtrak, Atlantic Coast Line & Seaboard Air Line Railroads Historical Society, City of Tampa Office of Historic Preservation and Urban Design, Florida Railroad Museum, Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library/Burgert Brothers Photograph Collection, Friends of Tampa Union Station, Tampa Bay History Center and more!

Telegraph demonstrations!

Operating Model Railroads! HO-, N- and G-scale trains from the H.B. Plant Railroad Historical Society, the Suncoast Model Railroad Club, the Greater Florida Lego Train Club, and others!

Food Trucks, Live Music and More!

More information: www.tampaunionstation.com

Just checked again for WAS events and go this:
Currently, there are no events scheduled for this location. Check back weekly for event listing updates, or apply to host your own event now. Display info is posted closer to NTD. Amtrak is most likely still figuring out what will be where.
I noticed that some of the exhibit trains that were in PHL last year will now be in NY GCT for the 100th anniversary event. I don't know exactly how much they will siphon off from WAS and PHL so maybe Amtrak is still scrambling to find trains to fill the exhibit platforms in those cities.

The fraudulent "National Train Day Association" website, which has appeared on the web in recent years is back for 2013.

For your information, the *real* NTD site is: http://nationaltrainday.org

The unfortunate part is that internet search engines offer the bogus site as part of search results. For example just now I searched Google for "national train day pdx official site" and sure enough, the fake site was at the top of the list!

What does the fraudulent site do? Try to get you to purchase tickets from their website for all of those FREE NTD events?

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...
...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D
Which superdome, I'm trying to plan a trip out to Minneapolis the ex ATSF fulldome is all that's left.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...
...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D
Which superdome, I'm trying to plan a trip out to Minneapolis the ex ATSF fulldome is all that's left.
I'm in the Friends of the 261 Super Dome (ex Milwuakee Road #53)

Ah the nicer one, I have my itinerary planned out, just need to find a hotel in Duluth.

Ah the nicer one, I have my itinerary planned out, just need to find a hotel in Duluth.
I just got an email from Friends of the 261 today that the Radisson is closed, and will be until after the trip, due to a pipe bursting in their basement, which caused a flood.

I just got an email from Friends of the 261 today that the Radisson is closed, and will be until after the trip, due to a pipe bursting in their basement, which caused a flood.
Yeah saw that, prices in area hotels jumped 30 bucks as a result. Luckily I'm saving some money using air miles and guest rewards points to get to and from Minneapolis.

NTD at PDX:

According to nationaltrainday.com: "A FREE Family Event at Portland Union Station featuring SP&S 700 Live Steam Locomotive including cab viewing. See an Historic North Coast Limited Lounge Car and a retired Union Pacific Caboose. Also, the first public "peek" at one of Oregon's NEW Amtrak Cascades Talgo train sets."

However, there is conflicting info from the SP&S 700 website:

01/24/2013 - The SP&S 700 will steam up and run to Union Station to join in Amtrak's National Train Day celebration on Saturday, May 12. We're very excited to attend and we hope you'll be there too!

02/02/2013 - Last month we had reported that the SP&S 700 would be attending Amtrak's National Train Day celebration in Portland. This announcement turned out to be premature as, due to some coordination and logistical issues involving Amtrak, it has not been fully confirmed that Portland will be included in the festivities. We apologize for any confusion our previous announcement may have caused and will keep you apprised of decisions as we become aware of them.

03/02/2013 - Unfortunately, Amtrak will not be holding a National Train Day celebration in Portland this year."

Even if there is not an event at PDX Union Station, visiting SP&S 700 at the ORHF enginehouse is always an option! SP4449 should be there also but according to it's website, it's undergoing a rebuild and 15 year inspection right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back