National Train Day 2013!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if there is not an event at PDX Union Station, visiting SP&S 700 at the ORHF enginehouse is always an option! SP4449 should be there also but according to it's website, it's undergoing a rebuild and 15 year inspection right now.
The 4449 is undergoing a rebuild and is currently in pieces. The rebuild should take 1 or 2 years to complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if there is not an event at PDX Union Station, visiting SP&S 700 at the ORHF enginehouse is always an option! SP4449 should be there also but according to it's website, it's undergoing a rebuild and 15 year inspection right now.
The 4449 is undergoing a rebuild and is currently in pieces. The rebuild should take 1 or 2 years to complete.
I hope that Steamtown isn't performing the rebuild. If they are, lets hope it doesn't turn into the K4 project. :eek:

FYI, Amtrak exhibit train will be displayed at Fullerton Railroad days on May 4th and 5th. (It's one week before the NTD) http://www.scrpa.net/scrrdays.htm
Aloha

I've Been to the Fullerton RR Days event. They do a fine job, Been Lucky to be there twice.
I have been their RR days in 2008. It was really nice.

also Santa Fe steam locomotive 3751 will be displayed at National Train Day 2013 at Los Angeles Union Station according to the 3751's FB page.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...
...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D
Which superdome, I'm trying to plan a trip out to Minneapolis the ex ATSF fulldome is all that's left.
I'm in the Friends of the 261 Super Dome (ex Milwuakee Road #53)
Ah the nicer one, I have my itinerary planned out, just need to find a hotel in Duluth.
I just got an email from Friends of the 261 today that the Radisson is closed, and will be until after the trip, due to a pipe bursting in their basement, which caused a flood.
Yikes.. I almost booked this place at first, but end up booking at the Best Western Downtown.

That's what the Austin Steam Train Association said about their Old SP Steamer that pulls the Hill Country Flyer when it went in for Rebuilding/Rehab 5 YEARS and Several Millions of Dollars Ago! :eek:

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...
...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D
Which superdome, I'm trying to plan a trip out to Minneapolis the ex ATSF fulldome is all that's left.
Ah the nicer one, I have my itinerary planned out, just need to find a hotel in Duluth.
I just got an email from Friends of the 261 today that the Radisson is closed, and will be until after the trip, due to a pipe bursting in their basement, which caused a flood.
Yikes.. I almost booked this place at first, but end up booking at the Best Western Downtown.
I ended up booking The Suites Inn, Best Western wouldn't let me stay just one night. Even after calling them and explaining they insisted that I would have to stay two nights.

I ended up booking The Suites Inn, Best Western wouldn't let me stay just one night. Even after calling them and explaining they insisted that I would have to stay two nights.
Really?

I called and had it booked with no issues. Told them I was part of the 261 and got a discount.

Really?

I called and had it booked with no issues. Told them I was part of the 261 and got a discount.
Yep they insisted, so I went somewhere else. They didn't really tell me why either.

All Aboard Washington · on Facebook
Info that we have is that the new Oregon owned Talgos will be on the move to the NW. ODOT1 is supposed to leave the AAR testing center near Pueblo, CO on April 8 (tomorrow!) and arrive in Seattle about April 11. ODOT2 is supposed to leave Milwaukee about April 15. Testing will then be done in the NW corridor and the equipment will go into service this summer. ODOT2 is planned to be on display at National Train Day festivities in Portland on May 11.

I hope that Steamtown isn't performing the rebuild. If they are, lets hope it doesn't turn into the K4 project. :eek:
I think ORHF and Friends of 4449 have their own volunteers that have a wealth of experience and have done the last inspection/rebuild and other maintenance projects. Some work was done at the Portland & Western shop in Albany, OR a few years ago, but I think it was still done by the volunteers...they were just using some of the facilities at that shop.

I think ORHF and Friends of 4449 have their own volunteers that have a wealth of experience and have done the last inspection/rebuild and other maintenance projects. Some work was done at the Portland & Western shop in Albany, OR a few years ago, but I think it was still done by the volunteers...they were just using some of the facilities at that shop.
They most certainly do, plus Doyle's in charge nothing to worry about.

Who else going on 261? Have our own mini AU gathering!

Which car will you be riding in? I'll be in the ATSF fulldome,

Nuthin' going on in New York - either at NYP or GCT?
Where have you been? :) GCT is having it's own thing on the same weekend. Several members here are going to do both Amtrak's (WAS or PHL) on Saturday and GCT on Sunday. Someone posted in another thread what was going to be at GCT.

I just opened a letter from the Friends of the 261 I got on Saturday telling me I'll be in the ex-Great Northern great dome 'Prairie View' - # 1394. I had assumed I'd be in the Superdome, as I was one of the first to book, and the Superdome was the only dome listed at the time. Honestly, I felt a bit unsure about this news when I read the letter - until I looked up 1394. Owned by Iowa Pacific's San Luis & Rio Grande RR the car's exterior was recently repainted back to her original Great Northern colors and looks pretty darn nice and very well maintained. I wish I could have found some interior views, but I guess I'll find out more in May, unless anyone has more information they'd like to share... :)

An AU mini gathering sounds great, TraneMan!

This was posted on youtube a couple days ago. It shows the eastbound CZ with two full domes. One in IC paint (I believe this one was tacked on the city of new orleans as part of the Pullman Rail Journeys consist) and the other being Prairie View. Perhaps they were misinformed of the heritage of the full dome they were getting, with it actually be a GN dome and not an ATSF one.

I'm in coach.. I was going to do the dome, but figured I'd save the money up when they do the fall color run this fall, and do the dome then.

I just opened a letter from the Friends of the 261 I got on Saturday telling me I'll be in the ex-Great Northern great dome 'Prairie View' - # 1394. I had assumed I'd be in the Superdome, as I was one of the first to book, and the Superdome was the only dome listed at the time. Honestly, I felt a bit unsure about this news when I read the letter - until I looked up 1394. Owned by Iowa Pacific's San Luis & Rio Grande RR the car's exterior was recently repainted back to her original Great Northern colors and looks pretty darn nice and very well maintained. I wish I could have found some interior views, but I guess I'll find out more in May, unless anyone has more information they'd like to share... :)

An AU mini gathering sounds great, TraneMan!
I was looking the groups page, sounds like there will be 4 domes. The 53, an ex ATSF dome, the ex-GN and an unknown.

This was posted on youtube a couple days ago. It shows the eastbound CZ with two full domes. One in IC paint (I believe this one was tacked on the city of new orleans as part of the Pullman Rail Journeys consist) and the other being Prairie View. Perhaps they were misinformed of the heritage of the full dome they were getting, with it actually be a GN dome and not an ATSF one.
That video seems strangely familiar...

Both of those domes were en route to New York to I believe the Saratoga and North Creek, which is also owned by Iowa Pacific. I've been told the IC painted dome is ex-Santa Fe. They were placed on the Lake Shore Limited the next day:

Strange as it may be, here we are less than 1 month away and no schedule of events or train tours have been posted. Many of us East coast AU members are ticketed to go to Washington DC for NTD but no info so far. It certainly would be nice if Amtrak told us what will be on exhibit in WAS. We read that numerous private and historic rail cars are heading to NY GCT that weekend but that's about it?

It will be nice meeting everyone at NTD again at WAS, but nicer if we can meet up and tour some trains other than Amtrak rolling stock. What say you?

Via Facebook: National Train Day events at St. Paul Union Depot.

National Train Day is Saturday, May 11, 2013

Events will run from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Union Depot and are FREE to the public which include:

- Train-related activities and games
- Appearance by Saint Paul Saints mascot "John Train"
- Main stage performances by The Choo Choo Bob Show and Radio Disney
- Musical entertainment by Cannonball Paul
- Historical presentation and book signing by John Diers, author of St. Paul Union Depot
- MyTalk107.1 radio personalities doing the "World's Not So Biggest Train Dance" at 1:00 p.m.
- Commemorative posters to the first 500 people through the doors
- FREE Shuttle busses from Union Depot to Minnesota Transportation Museum will run from 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Buses leave on the half-hour from both locations.
- Learn about the history of the railroad and trains from: Great Northern Railway Historical Society, Minnesota Transportation Museum/Jackson Street Roundhouse, TCA Train Collectors Assocation, and Trails & Rails,
- Much more to come!

Amtrak representatives in the Empire Lounge to give away prizes and answer questions.

CHRISTOS GREEK RESTAURANT will be open for lunch 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back