National Train Day 2013!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the Acela excursion at WAS NTD, I am arriving on the Acela at 11Am from NJ ( a 2:20 trip). Speaking from a strictly personal perspective that's not a real exciting activity for a regular train traveler on the NEC. .
Not everybody on the NEC can afford the Acela, so it would be special to many people.
And even if they could afford it, if you live in KIN you can see it go thru at 150 MPH every 2 hours or so each way, but 99.999999999% of the time it doesn't stop. And if you live in WLY, there is a 100% chance it will not stop - there is no high level platform there. So you must either drive an hour east to PVD or well over an hour west to NHV to board AE!

Given the 35 minute trip promised, I'm going to wager that they're going to run out to BOWIE and back. I don't think that there's enough time to make it to GROVE, and the trip to CARROLL would only take about 20 minutes.

If I make it down, I think that it'll be a cool chance to take the boy on the Acela.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...
...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D

Unfortunately I'm going to miss NTD in WAS this year, as I'll be roughing it in the wilds of Minnesota...
...riding in the Superdome from Minneapolis Jct. to Duluth behind #261, then dining along the north shore of Lake Superior behind #2719. :D
Which superdome, I'm trying to plan a trip out to Minneapolis the ex ATSF fulldome is all that's left.
Who else going on 261? Have our own mini AU gathering!
Which car will you be riding in? I'll be in the ATSF fulldome,
Sounds like we won't be on the same car, how should we meet up? (should we start something over on another page or pvt msg?)

Which superdome, I'm trying to plan a trip out to Minneapolis the ex ATSF fulldome is all that's left.
Sounds like we won't be on the same car, how should we meet up? (should we start something over on another page or pvt msg?)
The Davy Crockett said he will be in the Prairie View dome (same as me) but I've not heard from him. He will also be on the dinner train I believe, I decided not to because of cost. I was planning on checking out the museum in Duluth assuming we get in at 3:00 and I have enough time to check in at my hotel and what not.

The Davy Crockett said he will be in the Prairie View dome (same as me) but I've not heard from him. He will also be on the dinner train I believe, I decided not to because of cost. I was planning on checking out the museum in Duluth assuming we get in at 3:00 and I have enough time to check in at my hotel and what not.
I'll be on the dinner train myself. Also the Photo shoot.

Oh, well I'll probably be wearing my Coast Starlight cap if ya see me.

Oh, well I'll probably be wearing my Coast Starlight cap if ya see me.
I'll have my Amtrak polo shirt, and we could meet up in the baggage/snack car.

Well, that's just fine and dandy for all you "big city" type people. But let's hear from the small town train fans. I'll start. We are taking the Capitol Corridor to Suisun for their celebration. Here is the local news blurb..

."Suisun City’s celebration will include an interactive model train from the Western Railway Museum, a kids’ depot with activities geared toward children, a photo exhibit of Suisun City’s rail heritage, a performance by the Crystal Middle School Marching Band, live music by R&B group Suspects of Soul, a Chapkis Dance performance and booths staffed by local businesses and community groups."

Also included inthe day's entertainment is a "shimmy mob", a type of flash mob performed by belly dancers!

So we've got kid's activities, a middle school marching band, and belly dancers. Let's see you beat that! And did I mention they will be selling $1.49 hot dogs? (Not the belly dancers. Another group).

I know this is going to tempt a lot of you from New York, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Let me know where we can meet.

Well, that's just fine and dandy for all you "big city" type people. But let's hear from the small town train fans. I'll start. We are taking the Capitol Corridor to Suisun for their celebration. Here is the local news blurb..
."Suisun City’s celebration will include an interactive model train from the Western Railway Museum, a kids’ depot with activities geared toward children, a photo exhibit of Suisun City’s rail heritage, a performance by the Crystal Middle School Marching Band, live music by R&B group Suspects of Soul, a Chapkis Dance performance and booths staffed by local businesses and community groups."

Also included inthe day's entertainment is a "shimmy mob", a type of flash mob performed by belly dancers!

So we've got kid's activities, a middle school marching band, and belly dancers. Let's see you beat that! And did I mention they will be selling $1.49 hot dogs? (Not the belly dancers. Another group).

I know this is going to tempt a lot of you from New York, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Let me know where we can meet.
I'm with you, Trainman's Daughter. After two years at Los Angeles, a madhouse on NTD, I said never again. San Luis Obispo County has activities at depots in three cities. The highlight for me will probably be tours of the old freighthouse that'll be the new railroad model club house.

Still planning to be in Philadelphia on Saturday May 11 around 10:30. Anyone else going to PHL for NTD? Sorry I can't make it to WAS, but the trip back and forth to Harrisburg would take too much time and not get me there in time to meet the group for very long. Will have a couple of friends along as well.

Haven't heard much about activities at PHL but hoping there will be some interesting private varnish and some other interesting things to do for the day.

Wish I had more time to run up to NYP -(Grand Central Terminal) but again the schedule did not work out. Happy NTD everyone! :p

Barring any major disasters between now and then, I should be at Grand Central either Saturday or Sunday, leaning toward Sunday. Yes, I know it's not technically NTD, but it's close enough.

Still planning to be in Philadelphia on Saturday May 11 around 10:30. Anyone else going to PHL for NTD? Sorry I can't make it to WAS, but the trip back and forth to Harrisburg would take too much time and not get me there in time to meet the group for very long. Will have a couple of friends along as well.Haven't heard much about activities at PHL but hoping there will be some interesting private varnish and some other interesting things to do for the day.

Wish I had more time to run up to NYP -(Grand Central Terminal) but again the schedule did not work out. Happy NTD everyone! :p
Bill, I haven't heard anything about what's going to be going on at PHL. I was originally going to be at PHL for NTD but as mentioned on the last page I'm able to goto WAS.

I am going to and from WAS trains 131/192. In the past, due to the crowds there was a reservation system to see the train equipment. I don't see one this year. Maybe the expected crowds are not as much since this is the sixth event.

Bill, I may go to PHL. The weather prediction for Sat is rain, so I hope to do my outdoor activity on Fri with my daughters & grandson. It's a three day event so we want to go when the weather is best.

Just to confirm (sorry, I can't dig through the thread, I have work in a few minutes)... What sort of count would CHI be looking at, from our numbers? I currently have reservations made, but with a recent cancellation... I'm starting to thing I ought to cancel myself and just go help my mom with the letter carriers' food drive that day. Once the refunds posted, it would also help me with my Chicago trip that starts the next Wednesday... so yeah, heh.

I don't know what the deal is at WAS. But if no activities are posted (except for the Acela train ride) and few AU members are attending, I may just divert to NY GCT where all the action seems to be. Could we have a head count for WAS by tomorrow?

After sifting through posts in this thread, the following is a tentative list of AU members who plan (or at one time planned) to celebrate NTD in WAS:

Acela150

AlanB

Anthony (unsure of schedule however)

City of Miami?

Dlagrua

Grounded Flyboy

Hessjm

Jacorbett70

KayBee

pennyk (and possibly her sister)

Shanghai

VentureForth?

Either I or moderators can edit this list if you would like your name deleted or added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still in the "definite maybe" category. Mother's day plans haven't finalized, I need to talk to Mom and see what works best for her.

As much as I'd love to get to GCT, that's looking less likely.

Aren't both Joe's going to WAS (Keep your food close at hand. These guys will eat anything :giggle: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back