National Train Day, Longview Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlakeTyner

Train Attendant
Since I was working (I'm the guy dressed as a conductor) most of the day, I had to wait until someone sent me some photos of our National Train Day celebration in Longview. We had big attendance--over the course of the day, I wouldn't be surprised if 500 people showed up.

In addition to it being train day, the Union Pacific also officially transferred the Longview station into the hands of the City, and there was a ceremony and ribbon cutting. Some pics:

6.jpg

One of 2 cakes made for the event.

13.jpg

A UP freight rolls by.

1.jpg

A model from the Loblolly RR club juxtaposed against a 1:1 scale example.

2.jpg

Playing at the Longview WOW hands-on station.

3.jpg

Yours truly putting together conductor hats.

4.jpg

The Longview PD had badge stickers. I actually should have gotten one of those!

5.jpg

Loblolly model railroad display.

7.jpg

Ribbon cutting for Longview's station.

8.jpg

Amtrak 22 coming around the bend.

9.jpg

This was the highlight of the day for most people.

10.jpg

I'm always amused at the crew of 22 in Longview--they have about a half hour before getting off work, and spirits are usually high, lol.

11.jpg

We had to break down the tape to let passengers on and off. Although not pictured, we also had to do some creative shuffling to make enough space for the luggage wagon.

12.jpg

Me again.

It was a good time, and there were tons of people. I even ran into my boss, who had brought her grandkids.

Good report and pics Blake! :) Im surprised by the turnout, how's the Marshall Station coming along? :eek: And does the City of Longview plan to fix up the Station now that UP has given over title? It looked pretty ratty last time I was there!

BTW-Think this was the only Station that had tape blocking the platform so little ones or irresponsible adults didnt have the train leave the tracks and chase them down! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report and pics Blake! :) Im surprised by the turnout, how's the Marshall Station coming along? :eek: And does the City of Longview plan to fix up the Station now that UP has given over title? It looked pretty ratty last time I was there!BTW-Think this was the only Station that had tape blocking the platform so little ones or irresponsible adults didnt have the train leave the tracks and chase them down! ;)
Yes, they'll be working on restoration. I'm not sure where the funds will come from, but they are making the station a multimodal facility, so that will go down easier for budgeting. One of the Longview council members comes to all the TEMPO meetings, and it was actually Longview's transportation director that took those pictures and sent them to me.

What kind of timeline it will be on, I don't know.

Marshall has been all cleaned up for several weeks. U.P. was providing a diesel generator that powered the whole building (we rag on U.P. a lot, but I've never seen them as gracious as they've been through this process.) I haven't been over there since we got back from CHI, so not sure if they have electricity restored. The fence was down and there is minor damage to the platform, but that platform is on the ARRA list, IIRC--it's not ADA right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back