NEC shut down in Odenton

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, 50 put a coach on the ground. PAX are on 90, bags are likely going to go on 66, which is still sitting in WAS. Starting to get some trains moving again on 2 track. #3 is still out, now #1 will be for a bit too.

I'm guessing by "on the ground" you mean just some wheels since you did not mention injuries, etc.

From the comments section on a Facebook "breaking news" site that reported this as a "wheel came off":

You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel.
Well played, internet.
In high school I was on a school bus that lost it's two back wheels on one side (yes, Dave, Jim & Eric, they had school buses back then). Luckily the inside one fell flat and the bus rested on it. The outside wheel went rolling off somewhere.

I remember this scary experience when the car just ahead of me lost one of its rear wheels on the curve of the ramp from Southern State Parkway to Sagtikos Parkway on Long Island. Fortunately both car and wheel veered off the ramp into the bushes, and I managed to clear by them as they headed their own separate ways.

NJ Transit had a derailment within the last several years caused by a bearing failure and a wheel falling off from an EMU near Secaucus Junction upper level station. The cause for that was traced back to NJT's excellent state of good repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
The coach that derailed in an AF I. I thought the winter consist of the Cardinal was two coaches. Just curious why an AF I is there, deadheading?

Word from FB is that a wheel on the lead truck of the last car "shattered", most likely when it it the switch you can barely see in the second picture.
From someone who is involved in the recovery, from a post in trainorders, it was a wheel on the front axle of the rear truck of the last car that shattered into three pieces, causing the derailment. People will want to know whether the truck was adequately inspected in Chicago and what if anything was found or not, in such inspection, for example.
Also from the same message, at present it is believed that track 1 will be out of service until Tuesday while investigation is carried out. Such a derailment for such a cause on a car that is cleared for operation at 125mph is an extremely serious matter and is being given due importance.

The car that derailed was Amfleet I #82720

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually was riding the Cardinal when this happened, and we didn't feel anything in the sleeper car. All that happened was the Cardinal began to slow down and halt in between Baltimore and Washington. All we knew was that the "wheel was bad", and beyond that nothing. We did transfer to Regional #90, which took about an hour and a half I think?

In regards to the three coach cars, we did pick up a lot of people in Charlottesville (I think it was mentioned about ~150 people or so), so that might explain the reasoning why there...

Looking at the pictures, are the MARC stations at all compatible with the Amfleet/Viewliner cars for boarding/deboarding if necessary?

Since the question was "MARC stations that can handle an Amtrak train", we're looking for West Baltimore, Edgewood, Aberdeen, Martin State Airport and Parryville?

Of course, the Amfleets and Viewliners have traps, so they can use the low level platforms if needed.

I was only referring to stations served by Amtrak. The only ones I know that do not are Mystic, CT and Westerly, RI.
If you referring to stations served by Amtrak as an Amtrak stop then also, Aberdeen, MD, and Newark, DE., for sure. And I think Cromwell Hts, PA.

Since the question was "MARC stations that can handle an Amtrak train", we're looking for West Baltimore, Edgewood, Aberdeen, Martin State Airport and Parryville?

Of course, the Amfleets and Viewliners have traps, so they can use the low level platforms if needed.
All the MARC stations can handle Amtrak trains including some you left out. Every now and then if there is a MARC service disruption an Amtrak train makes MARC stops. Also Train 151 stops at Perryville and Edgewood Monday thru Friday to pick up MARC passengers. Of course the Acelas can't stop at the ones with low level platforms.

Interesting notes from MARC on Monday's Service:

Looks like Amtrak isn't going to be ready to put #1 back in service for a few more days

Odenton station will have significantly reduced service on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for all north and southbound trains. This closure is due to emergency, unscheduled Amtrak trackwork. We are not getting into details about the background of this situation in the body of this message; click here to learn more about why this closure is taking place.

Please read this email carefully and in its entirety. Note that all MARC trains will bypass Bowie State University station; no service will be provided to or from that station.

Morning Southbound service: regular schedule. All trains will stop, minor delays are possible.

Afternoon/Evening Northbound service: The following departures from Union Station will not stop at Odenton: Train 422 (1:20pm), Train 424 (2:20pm), Train 634 (4:40pm), Train 440 (5:25pm), Train 446 (6:40pm). All northbound trains will board passengers on the southbound platform. Northbound service will resume with Train 448 (7:40pm). All northbound trains will board passengers on the southbound platform.

Evening capacity will be limited at Odenton, although morning service will operate as normal. We encourage passengers to consider Camden Line service; click here to download a copy. There is ample, free parking available at Dorsey station.

Morning Northbound service: All northbound Penn Line trains will not stop at Odenton. See below for alternate transportation arrangements.

Afternoon Southbound service: The following departures from Penn Station will not stop at Odenton: Train 439 (3:45pm), Train 641 (4:18pm), Train 443 (4:47pm), Train 445 (5:25pm). Southbound service will resume with Train 449 (6:25pm). See below for alternate transportation arrangements.

Alternate transportation to Odenton in the morning and from in the evening: MTA will provide shuttle bus service from Savage on the Camden Line to Odenton station. Northbound trains depart Union Station at 6:32am, 7:00am, 7:40am and 8:00am. Travel time to Savage is approximately 35 minutes, each arrival will be met by a bus. In the evening, buses will depart Odenton at 3:40pm, 4:25pm, 5:10pm, and 6:05pm for the trip to Savage and transfer to a southbound Camden Line train.

Further updates on the status of the Penn Line service will be made available on Monday afternoon. We recognize that this service suspension presents a significant inconvenience to our passengers. We appreciate your patience as Amtrak works to restore their tracks to full service as quickly and safely as possible.
Explaination of temporary MARC Penn Line service modifications

Late Friday evening, an Amtrak train traveling on the northbound track (Track #1) adjacent to the platform at Odenton experienced a mechanical failure of the rear wheels on the last car. This failure caused significant damage to a mile and a half of track, including two track swtiches. This has rendered Track #1 out of service between a point just south of Bowie State and a point just north of Odenton.

The southbound track (Track #3) has been out of service for several weeks for scheduled trackwork. As previously announced, this track is returning to service Monday morning. However, now MARC Penn Line service is faced with continued two-track operation for an eight mile stretch between Bowie and Odenton due to the damage to Track #1.

In addition to the damage to Track #1 itself, the low-level platform used to access the middle track (Track #2) was damaged as well, so the northbound platform is completely inaccessible to MARC trains. Therefore, all MARC trains will have to use the southbound platform, significantly reducing capacity.

In order to move as many trains as quickly and safely as possible through this limited-capacity area, Amtrak has worked all weekend with the management of the MARC Train Service to create a modified service plan as outlined in the advisories regarding Bowie State and Odenton stations.

Both MARC and Amtrak recognize that these modifications present a significant inconvenience to MARC passengers and we regret any inconvenience. Amtrak has assured MARC that they are working around the clock to restore Track 1 to service as soon as possible. The restoration is estimated to be completed by Wednesday evening and we will continue to keep you advised of the situation.
Damage to 1.5 miles of track is pretty significant. I wonder if the engineer noticed the last car dragging or not.

That's a mess for MARC passengers, but imagine if the trackwork on 3 didn't end on time and the NEC ended up singletracked on a weekday...

So, as advertised Amtrak had #1 out of service through Wednesday - I was up there Wednesday evening to get some shots of the new Viewliner II Baggage cars and observed some of the damage that the derailed train caused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back