Need LOTS of help/advice....new to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timetoride

Train Attendant
Hi, everyone. I've never used Amtrak before, so I'm pretty naive. Have done some reading on Amtrak's website as well as this one. I've found some great advice but would like to ask specifically about a "maybe" trip for mid- to late-May 2009.

Proposed trip involves 3 adults traveling to Vancouver, B. C. for a roundtrip Alaska cruise. This will most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so I'd really like to have things go as smoothly as possible. This is what I "think" might work...but I ask for the expertise and advice from those of you who know "reality" of such travel. It may be completely off-track.

1) Jackson, MS (JAN) departure on City of New Orleans at approximately 5:44 PM...based on most recent schedule I have.

Arrive in Chicago, IL approx. 9:00 AM next morning

2) Depart Chicago same day on Empire Builder at approx. 2:15 PM to Seattle, WA (approx. 46 hrs later) then Thruway Service to Vancouver, B. C., arriving approx. 2:15 PM

Pertaining to this first part of the journey:

A) Barring unforeseen problems, is it fairly safe to assume the connection at Chicago can be made okay considering the interval between the morning arrival and afternoon departure?

B} Will have coach seats from JAN to CHI but desire sleeping accomodations from CHI to SEA. What would be most economical for 3 adults? The bedrooms indicate 2 adults max. Is it permissible to reserve 1 bedroom and 1 roomette and let the person in the roomette use the "facilities" of the bedroom? Or do we need to reserve 2 bedrooms? Or is there another possible arrangement?

C) Estimated arrival time at Vancouver is 2:15 PM. Cruise departure (Canada Place terminal) time is shown as 5 PM. I'm thinking this would be cutting it too close to schedule a Vancouver arrival the same day as cruise departure and would be wiser to arrive the day prior to cruise. Yes or No???

D) If we overnight in Vancouver what is a nice lodging close to Canada Place? Not looking for something fancy...just clean, comfortable, and in a safe location. It would be nice if a shuttle was available to the terminal, but not entirely necessary.

After the cruise, we plan to return on the same Amtrak route. I assume the same sleeping accomodations would be needed for Seattle to Chicago segment. Arrival in CHI approx. 3:55 PM. Depart on City of New Orleans (to JAN) approx. 8 PM.

Now more questions!!

E) If we should miss the connection in Chicago due to problems along the way, are we out of luck getting to our destination on time?

F) I read that some cruise lines have offered a Rail and Cruise discount in 2008. Is there anywhere I can find out if there will be discounts offered for 2009? I've seen to "call your Travel Agent" but most of those I've dealt with know little or nothing about Amtrak!!! We have AAA for discount but think the Rail and Cruise discount might be better if available.

G) Are snow or other "weather worries" common factors in delaying travel along the route during that time of year? I know nothing is certain (like all the flooding this year)...but just wondering what your thoughts may be on that.

Feel free to offer advice and/or point out things in the "proposal" that you think won't work or could be improved. I will be VERY appreciative of any assistance. Thank you!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea for a trip, timetoride! Here are my thoughts on a few of your questions:

A) Barring unforeseen problems, is it fairly safe to assume the connection at Chicago can be made okay considering the interval between the morning arrival and afternoon departure?

Pretty safe, yes. You can get good on-time performance data for any Amtrak train at amtrakdelays.com. You want train 58, arriving at CHI, and over the past four weeks that train has been an average of 87 minutes late (but on its two worst days, it was between four and five hours late). So on average, it actually arrived in Chicago around 10:30am, but twice it arrived between 1:00pm and 2:00pm, which would be pushing it for the Empire Builder connection.

However, there's enough time there that if you book this as a single reservation, Amtrak will "guarantee" your connection. That means that Amtrak takes full responsibility for getting you to your destination on as close to your original schedule as possible, and covering any expenses you might reasonably incur in so doing. Worst case scenario, they will put up a passenger in a hotel (on their tab) and put them on the next day's train. But in this case, that would hardly be necessary--they'd either hold the train a few minutes or put you on a bus that could go faster than the train and meet it a few stops down the line. But with a five hour connection window and a train that's rarely that late, you probably won't have to worry about that at all.

C) Estimated arrival time at Vancouver is 2:15 PM. Cruise departure (Canada Place terminal) time is shown as 5 PM. I'm thinking this would be cutting it too close to schedule a Vancouver arrival the same day as cruise departure and would be wiser to arrive the day prior to cruise. Yes or No???

I would definitely advise arriving a day early here. If this is a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, you want to relax and enjoy it, not be stressing about whether you'll make your connections! However, at that same site, you can see that the Empire Builder's average time into Seattle is 2 minutes early (with one day in the past four weeks being two hours late and only five days being more than even half an hour late). Pretty good for a 2,000+ mile journey!

I'd still advise the extra day, though, just so you don't have to worry about anything. Plus, you may find you want an evening to see a site or two in Vancouver, have a nice dinner, and have one night's sleep in a bed that doesn't move :lol:

E) If we should miss the connection in Chicago due to problems along the way, are we out of luck getting to our destination on time?

Again, here your connection is guaranteed as long as you book the trains together on the same reservation. Worst case scenario, you might be a day late if something goes so wrong with the Empire Builder that the only thing to do is put you up in a hotel for the night. But if that happens, it's entirely Amtrak's responsibility to take care of you. So if you're just heading home, unless you have big plans for the first day after you return, the worst case scenario is more like "you get to extend your vacation by a day and have a free night in Chicago, and a morning to go see a museum or something".

G) Are snow or other "weather worries" common factors in delaying travel along the route during that time of year? I know nothing is certain (like all the flooding this year)...but just wondering what your thoughts may be on that.

It seems unlikely, but I will mention that when I took the Empire Builder in June of this year, there was a snowstorm in Montana! We just went straight through it--the tracks were ploughed well enough.

sounds like a great trip for which you have already done a lot of research. great time of year to go. as far as the accomodations on the empire builder. i believe amtrak still allows 3 adults in a bedroom but you can't make the reservation on line but must do it over the phone. call an agent an ask if you can do three in a bedroom. we have done this and found we fit fine but amtrak changed the number they will allow in various rooms last march. two people in the lower berth and one in the upper. we weren't too crowded but some threesomes might be

Welcome! :)

Since this is your first trip, you may want to check out these train travel tips from OTOL.

Personally, if at all possible, I would plan on arriving at least 1 day early. Should you arrive to late to make your connection in Chicago, they may either reschedule you (if possible) for the next departure or reroute you (such as via Sacramento). Either of these would delay you by at least one day. I'd hate for you to get to Vancouver only to find out your ship is half way to Alaska! :eek:

If you are considering this trip for this year, book ASAP (if not sooner)! Many of the trips for the EB this year are sold out, and roomettes or bedrooms are worse! Even for next year, still book ASAP. Amtrak fares are sold via the bucket system. Once a certain amount are sold, the fare rises to the next level. Unlike airlines, it is not a set # of days in advance (like 30 or 21), it is once a certain number of seat or rooms are sold. (The fare could increase in the 3 minutes while you were deciding.)

Is it permissible to reserve 1 bedroom and 1 roomette and let the person in the roomette use the "facilities" of the bedroom? Or do we need to reserve 2 bedrooms? Or is there another possible arrangement?
As long as you don't mind sharing your facilities, no one else is going to stop you from allowing the third person in your group from using the bathroom/shower in your room. They can even join you in your room during the day, since there would be plenty of room for three people during the day. It's at night that things get crowded with only two beds.

However, consider that the public shower has far more room than the one in your bedroom and of course there are 4 public toilets too.

Wow! It's been less than 2 hours since I posted, and I've already received answers...all with WONDERFUL information. This is fantastic!

Thanks for the info about 3 adults in one bedroom. It would be me, my sister, and my adult nephew. Don't know if we can convince him to "bunk" with us, or not. We may have to outvote him. :lol:

Thanks for the replies already made....and for any others that may come later. Since I'm just learning about Amtrak travel, I want to make sure I know as much as possible about what to expect.

Thanks for the info about 3 adults in one bedroom. It would be me, my sister, and my adult nephew. Don't know if we can convince him to "bunk" with us, or not. We may have to outvote him. :lol:
Even if you could "convince" him to bunk with you ;) , keep in mind the size of the 2 bunks in the bedroom - one is 3'4" wide and the other is 2'4" wide! :eek: Unless you're VERY close (both figuratively and literally) and/or very small, I would NOT recommend 3 people to share a bedroom overnight!

Hi, everyone. I've never used Amtrak before, so I'm pretty naive. Have done some reading on Amtrak's website as well as this one. I've found some great advice but would like to ask specifically about a "maybe" trip for mid- to late-May 2009.
Proposed trip involves 3 adults traveling to Vancouver, B. C. for a roundtrip Alaska cruise. This will most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so I'd really like to have things go as smoothly as possible. This is what I "think" might work...but I ask for the expertise and advice from those of you who know "reality" of such travel. It may be completely off-track.

1) Jackson, MS (JAN) departure on City of New Orleans at approximately 5:44 PM...based on most recent schedule I have.

Arrive in Chicago, IL approx. 9:00 AM next morning

2) Depart Chicago same day on Empire Builder at approx. 2:15 PM to Seattle, WA (approx. 46 hrs later) then Thruway Service to Vancouver, B. C., arriving approx. 2:15 PM

Pertaining to this first part of the journey:

B} Will have coach seats from JAN to CHI but desire sleeping accomodations from CHI to SEA. What would be most economical for 3 adults? The bedrooms indicate 2 adults max. Is it permissible to reserve 1 bedroom and 1 roomette and let the person in the roomette use the "facilities" of the bedroom? Or do we need to reserve 2 bedrooms? Or is there another possible arrangement?

D) If we overnight in Vancouver what is a nice lodging close to Canada Place? Not looking for something fancy...just clean, comfortable, and in a safe location. It would be nice if a shuttle was available to the terminal, but not entirely necessary.

After the cruise, we plan to return on the same Amtrak route. I assume the same sleeping accomodations would be needed for Seattle to Chicago segment. Arrival in CHI approx. 3:55 PM. Depart on City of New Orleans (to JAN) approx. 8 PM.

Now more questions!!

F) I read that some cruise lines have offered a Rail and Cruise discount in 2008. Is there anywhere I can find out if there will be discounts offered for 2009? I've seen to "call your Travel Agent" but most of those I've dealt with know little or nothing about Amtrak!!! We have AAA for discount but think the Rail and Cruise discount might be better if available.

Feel free to offer advice and/or point out things in the "proposal" that you think won't work or could be improved. I will be VERY appreciative of any assistance. Thank you!!! :)
You are in fora great trip - I just did the same trip except I started in Richmond, VA, and took a cruise out of Seattle. I very much agree with all the advice thus far offered and would like to add my two cents worth. Absolutely arrive the day before your cruise or you will worry about it all the way to the west coast. I would definitely get a bedroom and a roomette for 3 adults and would even consider a family bedroom which might be more economical. I wouldn't worry about the connection in Chicago as mentioned by others,

The one thing I would strongly suggest is another route home. I don't know how much more it might cost to return the southern route or if you have the time but the Empire Builder can get pretty monotonous as far as the scenery and especially if you are doing it twice in a matter of a few weeks. The Coast Starlight is a wonderful train with some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see and, once in L.A., you have a choice of the Southwest Chief to Chicago and home or the Sunset Limited to NOL and home; either way you will see so much more.

One other suggestion, get yourself an Amtrak rewards credit card and charge all your travel on it!! You will have enough points after this trip to go on another free.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as my wife and I did ours - Alaska is amazing and train travel is a great adventure and a wonderful way to see the country.

I would definitely get a bedroom and a roomette for 3 adults and would even consider a family bedroom which might be more economical.
True, the family bedroom sleep 4, but 2 of the beds are VERY short and VERY narrow! One is 2'3" x 4"9" and the other is 2'0" x 4'7"! :eek: Unless one of the 3 can fit in this space, I would not recommend this as a choice.

One other suggestion, get yourself an Amtrak rewards credit card and charge all your travel on it!! You will have enough points after this trip to go on another free.
Excellent point--and timetoride, he's not kidding. You'll get 5,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) points just for getting the credit card; and you get two AGR points per dollar spent on Amtrak using the credit card. Booking this trip, you're probably looking at spending ballpark $2500-3000 on Amtrak, however you wind up doing it. It could be less, given which days you're traveling and AAA or other discounts, but that's probably ballpark. So figure another 5,000-6,000 AGR points there (from the credit card). Then you also get two AGR per dollar spent on your tickets, through Amtrak Guest Rewards itself. So that's another 5,000-6,000 AGR. And finally, you also get one AGR point per dollar spent anywhere else using your AGR MasterCard. And you only need 20,000 AGR points total for a one-way trip for two, in a roomette, all the way from Jackson, Mississippi, to any point on either coast (taking multiple trains to get there)! You can get details galore on how the AGR points work on the Guest Rewards forum, also on this website. I just wanted to show you that yes, by getting that credit card before booking this trip, you're well on your way to a second trip for free already :)

I would definitely get a bedroom and a roomette for 3 adults and would even consider a family bedroom which might be more economical.
True, the family bedroom sleep 4, but 2 of the beds are VERY short and VERY narrow! One is 2'3" x 4"9" and the other is 2'0" x 4'7"! :eek: Unless one of the 3 can fit in this space, I would not recommend this as a choice.
at last check, amtrak won't allow 3 adults in a family bedroom

at last check, amtrak won't allow 3 adults in a family bedroom
As I was searching the 3 in a bedroom, I saw that viewliner H bed rooms don't have a shower? :eek:

Oooops....now I don't WANT to convince my nephew to stay in the same bedroom. He's about 6' tall and has a large build. He may have an interesting "fit" being the 1 person in a roomette. :D

Just running a "practice" reservation with 2 bedrooms on the website , the roundtrip total at this time looks to be a bit over $4,000 with AAA discount. That rewards credit card sounds definitely worth checking into. The benefits seem VERY generous.

SUTTONK11, do you by any chance know anything about the Rail and Cruise Discount? Also, I had looked into the alternate route on the return trip. Would love to do that, but I'm afraid we probably wouldn't be able to spare the extra time it would involve. But we'll surely try to see if we can manage it someway.

Thanks to all!!

As I was searching the 3 in a bedroom, I saw that viewliner H bed rooms don't have a shower? :eek:
I'm not sure where you saw that, but that is not true. Viewliner H rooms do have a shower in them. Superliner H rooms do not.
True! I've used Viewliner H rooms 8 times. The shower co-exists it it's own small room (more like closet room) with the commode and you have to walk into the room to see the door into it.

Side note: With the design and placement of the H room, I like to leave the rooms door wide open until the train get's underway to see how many people boarding the train come walking right into our room... then see the look on their faces :blush: when they realize what they did!

Just running a "practice" reservation with 2 bedrooms on the website , the roundtrip total at this time looks to be a bit over $4,000 with AAA discount. That rewards credit card sounds definitely worth checking into. The benefits seem VERY generous.
Yes, the free trips you can get using Guest Rewards points can be extremely generous. This forum (well, over on the Guest Rewards end of it) has lots of experts who can help you maximize your rewards potential when you get to that point :)

Both trains will be superliner.

Does anyone know whether the Memphis detour is still in place? That is what is currnetly making the CNO consistently about one hour plus late. There is a thread on the subject, but to save the hunt for it, there has been a collapsed drain somewhere deep under the track in or near Central Station in Memphis resulting in the train being run on the freight line that bypasses the riverfront. Therefore, Memphis passengers get on and off somewhere in the south part of the city. Speed limits are really very little different, so the hour is not totally explained by the change. If you do go through Memphis on the proper passenger route, keep a look out the left side after you leave the station. Nice view of the river and bridges as you stroll north past downtown at the foot of the bluff.

I'm not sure where you saw that, but that is not true. Viewliner H rooms do have a shower in them. Superliner H rooms do not.
AMTRAK- ROUTES- traveling with Amtrak - Sleeping- Viewliner :unsure:
Are you talking about this page?

Because point #15 says "Accessible shower in the room".
No, I'm as close to a computer illiterate as it gets.

Amtrak- routes-traveling with amtrak- sleeping accommodations Viewliner. (under showers it says none!)

Roomette 2 Adult 1 none

Bedroom 2 Adult

1 1

Bedroom Suite 4 Adult 2 2

Accessible Bedroom 2 Adult 1 none

The Memphis junction was still being used when I went through southbound Saturday, July 19.

As to the Vancouver/Alaska trip, I echo everything previously said. I would also suggest the following:

Vancouver - You mentioned you might be pressed for time, but I would certainly plan for an overnight in Vancouver on your way north. Not only will it provide a scheduling cushion, it's a beautiful city with lots to do...and GREAT restaurants. There are plenty of downtown hotels that are reasonably priced, including all the major chains. I would suggest using the one that gets you the most points. Check for deals online. Don't worry about shuttles to the cruise dock. Local taxis are plentiful and reasonable as to cost - especially for three people. Vancouver is very safe at night so long as you don't go down to the East End, which you would have absolutely no reason to do unless you want a heroin fix (LOL - sort-of). To summarize, it just makes sense to me that you arrive in Vancouver a day ahead of sailing, since you will have just spent three days and three nights on the train.

Train sleeper accomodations - I would suggest you look into a Roomette for nephew. Not only will it give him some privacy, it'll let you all spread out. Especially if you spend your first night on coach. You don't mention your ages, but don't forget that senior discounts are 5% better than AAA if any of you are eligible.

Return trip - I also endorse the Coast Starlight and Sunset Limited back. The variety of scenery is fantastic. Then it's a relatively short hope by train, bus, or car to Jackson.

Bon Voyage! I'm confident you are indeed going to have the trip of a lifetime.

Amtrak- routes-traveling with amtrak- sleeping accommodations Viewliner. (under showers it says none!)

Roomette 2 Adult 1 none

Bedroom 2 Adult

1 1

Ah, I see it now. You're talking about this page. And it's wrong. Most likely someone just copied the text above from the Superliner car to save time typing and never paid attention to the realities of the Viewliner car.

But I can assure you that there is a shower in the Viewliner Accessible room.

Roomette 2 Adult 1 none

Bedroom 2 Adult

1 1

Ah, I see it now. You're talking about this page. And it's wrong. Most likely someone just copied the text above from the Superliner car to save time typing and never paid attention to the realities of the Viewliner car.

But I can assure you that there is a shower in the Viewliner Accessible room.
Thanx again Alan,

Never met ya but, thanked you a hundred times!!!

Let me give you answers to your questions, then I'll fill in anything I think you should ask but didn't think of, if I can think of anything.

If Amtrak books it without the Multi-City option, it is a guaranteed connection. That being said, the City of New Orleans is as timely as Arlo, so I wouldn't worry about missing the connection. And you have plenty of padding in there anyway.

I don't recall anyone asking this question before. But I do know it I have let aquaintences into my roomette that I met (other sleeping car pax only) elsewhere on the train for a chat, so they are allowed in there. With the door closed, who is to stop them from using your shower or toilet?

1 Bedroom and one roomette is fine. If you are intimate, you might even consider one bedroom alone.

The Empire Builder is one of the more timely trains on the system- BNSF does a pretty good time of keeping it moving and on time. Better than several others I could name. Actually, better than any other I could name. That being said, a rule of thumb is to allow for 6 hours between arrival time and scheduling of anything. I'd stay over.

On time? Maybe. Getting there? No. Amtrak will get you there. They will either bus you to catch up with the train (so you'll get there on time, more or less) or overnight you in a hotel and send you out on the next day's train, with a food voucher, and on their dime.

500 year floods and unprecedented collapses of major mountains notwithstanding, Amtrak is generally not bothered by weather. Snow can, and does, occasionally cause issues, as well. But we are talking major blizzard issues here. Trains run reliably late. That means you can generally expect a train that normally runs, say, 2 hours late, to run two hours late. Sometimes, on rare occasions, outliers occur. But they are generally punctual to their norm. The actual arrival times are not accurate, but they are precise.

I advise you to accept the various issues that confront Amtrak, including late trains, and enjoy them. If you are willing to go with the flow, you may well have made your last flight.

I advise you to accept the various issues that confront Amtrak, including late trains, and enjoy them. If you are willing to go with the flow, you may well have made your last flight.

???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back