Needing advice for CL & SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
We had a fun topic about what to bring on sleepers, but I am in need of serious advice now. We have bedrooms on CL and SWC, total three nights on the train. How is the temperature in the bedrooms? I assume it cannot be adjusted...There was a suggestion that the pillows were wimpy and the blankets thin...What are the chances of getting extra pillows and blankets? How comfortable are the beds? I've already invested in a couple of lightweight 50x60 throws (CVS $3.33) and two travel size pillows (WalMart, $3). Just in case...CJ

Just rode the SWC in Dec., great scenery and excellent staff on board.

Temp on board varies. Sometimes hot, other times cold and once in a while just right. There is a climate control knob in each room but it really doesn't do much. Although, the air vent in the ceiling is adjustable and it can make quite a difference.

Pillows I find to be fine, plenty of fluff there. Blankets are quite thin, but if your on the train that long and have enough luggage space, why not bring your own? Getting extra of these on board is usually not a problem in my experience.

Never had an uncomfortable bed on board. I'm not sure about bedrooms but roomettes have a thin mattress placed on top of the fold flat seats, so definitely plenty of cushion.

Also, if worried about being cold, you could purchase a small heated blanket.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Nick

I have only once been cold on the train, and that was when I was in an upper bunk, right under the open vent. Closing the vent blades enough so the air did not blow right on me did the trick. I took one of those fleece throws with me on my trip last November, and never used it on the train (used it at my sister's house, LOL!). But I am a warm sleeper, more likely to be throwing covers and clothes off than pulling them on. Something about being over 50, ha, ha! And the pillows have always been quite adequate (just regular size ones, not the super fat hotel pillows that make you wake up with a stiff neck).

Agree with Nick above. In my travels, typically the rooms tend to be pretty comfortable. One time on the Cost Starlight I had a really hot room, the AC kept cycling off and the room attendant had to be prompted to reset it periodically. Otherwise, if you tweak the vent damper in the ceiling, that typically helps a bit. Myself, I'd like to bring an extra firm pillow with me as the pillows on the train tend to be a little on the flat side, but it isn't a deal stopper. A lightweight wool blend blanket can also be helpful, the one I have I got from Lands End probably a decade ago; it is large enough to tuck in but folds up very thin. Definitely one thing I don't miss is the old steam heated sleepers where temps could vary wildly by the hour, never mind the train.

I just took the CL on Thur/Fri, and the room was more then comfortable. Yes, the room may be either too hot or too cold, but unless you sleep au natural, I've been comfortable 99% of the time. And you can always ask for another pillow or blanket. The pillow you get in a room is much bigger than those tiny pillows you get in coach. Most times there are 2 pillows per person in a bedroom (at least the last time I had a bedroom).

I have sometimes used only I of those. (I usually travel alone! :mellow: )

The pillows are great, and the temp does take a while to kick in once you adjust the knob, a lot more time than adjusting it in a house.

We were on the SWC during Thanksgiving, and the temperature in the car was WAY too warm due to a heater malfunction. Our SCA turned it off so we wouldn't cook in our rooms, so our room got down to about 65 that night. We didn't mind since we usually set our heat to 64 at night, but I know some people were cold. Normally, you can use the dial to adjust the temperature in your room, but since the SCA shut the heat off completely, it couldn't be adjusted at all. (Not that it would have mattered, as the thermostat for the car wasn't working.)

Even though the sleepers were full to capacity, our SCA told us there were plenty of extra blankets and pillows if we needed them. As a side/stomach sleeper, I thought the pillow was the perfect thickness, but it might not be thick enough if you're a back sleeper.

I wasn't sure what the temperature would be like since this was our first time in a sleeper, so I did pack a long-sleeve shirt to wear under my sleep t-shirt if necessary. I also had a pair of flannel pajama pants and some fuzzy socks. I was planning to wear the long-sleeve shirt during our trip and the pajamas and fuzzy socks around the "in-laws'" house, so it was a good way to be prepared for a cold night without actually having to pack extra items.

I found the bed to be comfortable enough for a night or two, but it's definitely not a Serta. ;) I had the bottom bunk, which has a bit more cushioning since they put the mattress on top of the seats. The top bunk just has a mattress and is a bit more like a bed roll you'd use while camping. My boyfriend likes firm mattresses, so he slept well, but if you prefer a softer mattress, sleep on the bottom bunk.

Tip: if you are a side sleeper, leave the blankets tucked in to help prevent as much rocking as possible. I didn't sleep well the first night because I was getting rocked/tossed so much. The second night, I left the blankets tucked in and shimmied down into them like a sleeping bag cocoon. I slept on my stomach instead of my side too. That did the trick. I didn't feel as much lurching, and I only woke up a couple times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take a lightweight coat along that I can use to throw over myself at night although I usually don't need it. I think you'll most likely have enough covers with the pillows and blankets you've purchased and of course the room attendant can give you more. I use a bed full of pillows at home but have to say that I don't miss them on the train because I sleep differently there (meaning not as well). If you're going to be on the SWC through Kansas I think you'll notice that the tracks are fairly rough and it's not as easy to sleep well through that state. At least that's always my experience anyway.

I take a lightweight coat along that I can use to throw over myself at night although I usually don't need it. I think you'll most likely have enough covers with the pillows and blankets you've purchased and of course the room attendant can give you more. I use a bed full of pillows at home but have to say that I don't miss them on the train because I sleep differently there (meaning not as well). If you're going to be on the SWC through Kansas I think you'll notice that the tracks are fairly rough and it's not as easy to sleep well through that state. At least that's always my experience anyway.
That's where I always get tossed around. I was ready to grab bungee cords at one point.

Just as an FYI, the temperature control knob is for heat only. It has no impact on the level of AC. It only works therefore during the cooler months.

We just rode the entire Capital Limited and the SW Chief from DC to LA. Wonderful trip, perfect rail journey too...

The Capital Limited was very smooth and steady for sleeping. The track must be in perfect shape. Best overnight trip by far for me. Super steady. I think we were in the Michigan sleeper, but it was very nice.

The Chief is a bit rough at times, but what a nice journey on the old Santa Fe route. I really enjoyed the Chief and it is now about my favoritte train to ride across America. I also like having LA as a destination, and the views along the train of the old Route 66.

The Chief is a bit rough at times, but what a nice journey on the old Santa Fe route. I really enjoyed the Chief and it is now about my favoritte train to ride across America. I also like having LA as a destination, and the views along the train of the old Route 66.
I quite agree. Unfortunately, I believe with the construction of the New Mexico Railrunner Express, some of those icons, like the long abandoned "REAL INDIAN JEWELRY" in sight of the tracks alongside the road have been removed. :(

Reviving my old thread for another couple of questions...Since we are riding NER to WAS, where we change to CL, where do we go to check our luggage when we get to WAS? Is there a 'First Class' lounge for sleeper passengers? I was checking prices last night, and noticed that the PS has checked baggage, which means we don't have to claim our checked baggage until we detrain in SAN? CJ

There is a lounge (The Acela Lounge) in WAS for sleeper passengers. The doors are about 1/2 between the two sets of doors from the platform. I'm going to take a guess which doors you'll come through, since you're coming from the south, and say you would turn right at the main corridor after coming into the station, then find the information booth and the Acela lounge doors are behind there. There is a door bell to gain admittance.

As to checking bags, I'll leave that to others, since I've yet to check bags on any train.

Carolyn,

In DC the baggage check is next to the Amtrak ticket windows, which are located towards the main hall area, behind the row of stores next to the Amtrak waiting areas.

And you are correct, a bag checked in DC would not need to be touched by you until you reach SAN. Of course it also means that you'll have zero access to it during the trip.

I just took the CL on Thur/Fri, and the room was more then comfortable. Yes, the room may be either too hot or too cold, but unless you sleep au natural, I've been comfortable 99% of the time. And you can always ask for another pillow or blanket. The pillow you get in a room is much bigger than those tiny pillows you get in coach. Most times there are 2 pillows per person in a bedroom (at least the last time I had a bedroom).
I have sometimes used only I of those. (I usually travel alone! :mellow: )
All of my recent trips alone in a roomette on the CZ included two pillows, and I could take the second blanket off the upper bunk if desired.

Just as an FYI, the temperature control knob is for heat only. It has no impact on the level of AC. It only works therefore during the cooler months.
On the Superliner sleepers, the temperate control knobs regulates some resistance heating elements in the exterior wall. If you think your room is too hot at any time of the year (not just winter), be certain that this knob is turned to its lowest level (i.e., fully counterclockwise). The ceiling louver will control the air flow into the room, which provides some regulation of the A/C input into the room in summer, as well as other times of the year, since the air coming from those louvers is never heated.

Add me to the list of not having any problem receiving extra pillows when requested. My wife and I each request an extra pillow in addition to the standard four provided. My wife usually requests an additional blanket as well without any issues.

On our last trip on the SWC in January our room was cold and after notifying the SCA he was able to get the heat regulated. This was done from a control panel somewhere within the car.

My wife assigns me the top bunk on our LD bedroom trips. I always request that my head will be positioned away from the air vent. The SCA always prepares the bed in that manner for me. I dislike the noise from the vent as well as air flow by my face.

On the Superliner sleepers, the temperate control knobs regulates some resistance heating elements in the exterior wall. If you think your room is too hot at any time of the year (not just winter), be certain that this knob is turned to its lowest level (i.e., fully counterclockwise). The ceiling louver will control the air flow into the room, which provides some regulation of the A/C input into the room in summer, as well as other times of the year, since the air coming from those louvers is never heated.
As info;

The knob controls radiant heat on the outside wall, some SCA's will turn the circuit breakers off to this "floor heat" in the summer, but this should not be done.

Chakk as for the air coming from the vents in the overhead that air also has the potential to heat the car as there are 2 stages of electrical heat for each end of the car. This heat is even used in the summer in part of the air conditioning cycle. Again some attendants will turn the circuit breakers off in the summer and this throws the temperature regulation out of whack.

Back with my (hopefully) last question before our trip starts Thursday. I was looking at the consist listing, and did not see anything for the NER and surfliner trains. Are they running Amfleet cars or does the surfliner have something else? Thanks, CJ

Good luck and have fun!

NEC trains will be Amfleet. Pac Surfliner will be double decker "Surfliner" cars:

pacific_surfliner_at_del_mar_ca1.jpg

Back with my (hopefully) last question before our trip starts Thursday. I was looking at the consist listing, and did not see anything for the NER and surfliner trains. Are they running Amfleet cars or does the surfliner have something else? Thanks, CJ
Most High Level Surfliners also have a Superliner Coach in the Consist which is more Comfortable! The One Single Level Consist Runs Amfleets and Sometimes includes Ocean View the Only Amtrak Dome Car, but it Currently is Out of Service for Repairs!! :(

Is there an Acela lounge in PHL that we would be eligible for? Where would we corral a redcap, and take the elevator down to the tracks? I don't think the larger bags we will be checking in WAS will do well on the escalator. CJ

Is there an Acela lounge in PHL that we would be eligible for? Where would we corral a redcap, and take the elevator down to the tracks? I don't think the larger bags we will be checking in WAS will do well on the escalator. CJ
If you have a sleeper ticket for the day you are in PHL (or if you are Select +), you can have access to the Club Acela in PHL, which is very nice. Every time I have been there, I have taken an elevator down to the tracks, without a redcap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back