Neil's trip to Portland...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil_M

Conductor
Flew to Seattle on the 07/03 then headed down to Portland the next morning on 501. First trip on the Cascade and I do like those trains was in Business Class and had the whole coach to myself!

Pity that there are only a few of those sets, certainly nicer than some of the old Amtrak 'banger' coaches!

Few days in Portland, found a few brew pubs and took lots of photos of that amazing Steel Bridge,actually caught it lifting on my first ten minutes on the riverside.

Portland is a nice little city and the 'fareless square' is a great idea.

Had a trip to Seaside and Astoria on the last afternoon, great dinner in T Pauls Urban Cafe in Astoria and got some great shots of the sunset at Sunset Beach!

Headed south on the CS on the 12th, great trip, the PPC is fantastic, shame there is not one on every LD train. Had all my meals in there and the food was fine, certainly not as hectic as the regular diner can be. The staff were pretty good although my sleeper attendant seemed to be only part time.... ho hum...

Stayed in Santa Barbara for 1 night in the Hotel Santa Barbara which was good and found the Santa Barbara brewpub just a few doors down which was also good!!

Surfliner to Fullerton on the Saturday morning for a spot of trainwatching, minor problem on the way back as the 258PM Surfliner back to LA was cancelled due to mechanical problems... bit of a panic as I had a flight to catch but there was a Metrolink at 323pm which we could use so got back to LA just after 4pm which was more than enough time to get a cab to the airport.

One thing that is very noticeable is the lack of freight trains moving about, between Sacremento and San Jose I don't think we passed one, lots of stored locos at most yards as well.

Southbound CS was on time or early most of the way, we arrived at Sacremento 1 hr early!

We got to Santa Barbara about 30 late as we actually crossed a real live freight train somewhere on the coast near to Lompac!

Photos are here...

http://50031.fotopic.net/c1665220.html

http://50031.fotopic.net/c1667777.html

http://50031.fotopic.net/c1667824.html

Hi Neal,

As always, I am very impressed (and envious!) by the quality of your pics.

I like old industrial scenery, and find the rusty box girder bridges in America very photogenic.

Did you get the impression that the lack of freight trains was due to the recession?

I spent a few days in Portland myself, and found it quite a refreshingly different place, and met lots of interesting people

in the youth hostel there.

Cheers,

Ed B)

Did you get the impression that the lack of freight trains was due to the recession?
I imagine so. The lack of freight traffic and the lines of stored locos and freight vehicles is very noticeable. The only good thing is the passenger trains seem to keep better time, but it is a very obvious sign of a nation in trouble.

I'm sure that reduced freight on the rails is without a doubt part of the reaons for better OTP, but I've also no doubt that the bill passed last year by Congress that finally gives the FRA some real teeth to go after freight RR's who don't give Amtrak true priority is also a major factor in the OTP currently being enjoyed.

Great Pictures as usual Neal!! When and where is your next trip? Keep the pictures coming! :)

All the best ,cheers and have a beer for me! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back