New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my welcome letter on my BoA Platinum card. I felt good until I read the fine print!!! Bonus points will not post for 8-12 weeks after your qualifying purchases. There goes my '16 summer trip on the old zone system!!!

*You will qualify for 12,000 bonus points if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of Purchase transactions totaling at least $1,000 (exclusive of any fees, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Limit one (1) bonus points offer per new account. This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer. Other advertised promotional bonus points offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Allow 8 - 12 weeks from qualifying for the bonus points to post to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as neither we, nor our affiliates, provide tax advice. The bonus points do not count toward Select, Select Plus or Select Executive status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my welcome letter on my BoA Platinum card. I felt good until I read the fine print!!! Bonus points will not post for 8-12 weeks after your qualifying purchases. There goes my '16 summer trip on the old zone system!!!

*You will qualify for 12,000 bonus points if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of Purchase transactions totaling at least $1,000 (exclusive of any fees, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Limit one (1) bonus points offer per new account. This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer. Other advertised promotional bonus points offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Allow 8 - 12 weeks from qualifying for the bonus points to post to your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as neither we, nor our affiliates, provide tax advice. The bonus points do not count toward Select, Select Plus or Select Executive status.
Well, spend the $1000 on the first month & they should post before Jan 24th.

Does the 90 day clock for getting the bonus start when you're approved for the card, or when the card is activated, or is it based on the billing cycle?

From the perspective of the bank the account open date is probably the date when you're approved. If you're trying to squeeze everything in before the AGR program changes then you should try calling BOA immediately after you're approved and ask if they can expedite the card to you via overnight or two day shipping.

Amazing. After all the castigating from some here about " gaming the system", here we are already getting folks trying to get the bonus points and use them under old AGR rules, isn't that " gaming the system"?

Or is " gaming the system" only what the other guy or gal does?

To me "gaming the system" was all about the members who ticketed impossible to justify circle trips bouncing all around the country just to end up a few hundred miles from where they started. Those loopholes were removed years ago and I have no problem with that. Unfortunately that era seemed to create an adversarial situation between Amtrak and their customers that lives on to this very day. In some ways it seems like Amtrak games us when they reduce services for already ticketed trips, or dumps folks onto a generic bus, or requires us to beg for a supervisor just to receive what the rules claim is on offer.

It is well documented that you will earn points to September 30 with the Chase card. A Freedom card will then arrive. I was told by Chase that the Freedom card would arrive in November and the Chase AGR MC number would still be active until then. This information is helpful to know when trying to figure out when / how to switch auto-pay programs over to a new card number.

Has anyone else heard that the Chase AGR MC number will be good until November? I've seen conflicting answers, but are those speculation or from being told that by a Chase representative.

I would say the old # would be good till you activate the new number. But that's just a guess on my part.

I would say the old # would be good till you activate the new number. But that's just a guess on my part.
That is my understanding too, based on a conversation with a Chase agent.

But from Oct 1, spend on that card will be credited to Freedom Card algorithm driven cash backs, and not as AGR points.

Amazing. After all the castigating from some here about " gaming the system", here we are already getting folks trying to get the bonus points and use them under old AGR rules, isn't that " gaming the system"?

The use of AGR points are under the zone system until 1/2416. It makes no difference if these points are accumulated through Chase or BoA. My points will be awarded by BoA starting on my next billing cycle. If I were able to receive the bonus points(and it appears not) and make an awards purchase before 1/24/16, I would and I would save points too!

If this is "gaming the system" put me at the top of your list of evil gamers.

The ones I consider "gamers" are the ones who will call about any LITTLE problem they had in a trip so they can get a voucher. And these same people telling others to do the same.

Then they complain about Amtrak's bean counter's nickel & diming.

The ones I consider "gamers" are the ones who will call about any LITTLE problem they had in a trip so they can get a voucher. And these same people telling others to do the same.

Then they complain about Amtrak's bean counter's nickel & diming.
To me gaming implies that one side is abusing the system in a way that was never intended or anticipated by the other side. It's entirely up to Amtrak to award a voucher or not. They should have all the necessary information to fact check complaints if they so desired. If it makes you feel any better I have never called requesting a voucher and have never been offered one. That being said when other people complain here on AU I often suggest that they call to request a voucher. That way when Amtrak runs the next voucher report they can see where the current trouble spots are and hopefully do something to correct them. Personally I wish that Amtrak was a bit more proactive about improving LD services but until then requesting a voucher is unlikely to cause them much harm while directing their attention where it can do the most good.

The use of AGR points are under the zone system until 1/2416. It makes no difference if these points are accumulated through Chase or BoA. My points will be awarded by BoA starting on my next billing cycle. If I were able to receive the bonus points(and it appears not) and make an awards purchase before 1/24/16, I would and I would save points too!

If this is "gaming the system" put me at the top of your list of evil gamers.
From Amtrak's perspective, the switch from Chase to BoA may be related to AGR 2.0. From a customer's perspective, I agree with Bruce - I'm simply maximizing the points I have & will earn before they get devalued. I have no control over which bank Amtrak chooses, or when they change the AGR program - I'm just choosing to spend as little as possible on the trips I'd like to take. Saving money isn't gaming the system.

On one hand, I agree with AmtrakBlue's assessment that "gaming the system" means taking advantage of loopholes and such. I might even expand it to include "people who travel for the sole purpose of earning or maximizing points, rather than actual transportation."

That may be a little harsh, as lots of people take trains (or planes, if they're weird) for the sole purpose of enjoying the journey, rather than simply getting from point A to point B. However, if Amtrak needs to justify its existence as a transportation system (rather than simply being fun), I could see why they would focus AGR on travel that looks more transportation than pleasure.

Guilty as charged! I'm one of those "Gamers" that used the system and it only cost me a few thousand dollars since I can only ride one a day or three time a week LD Trains/!

Good thing most of my LD trips Cost three or four times what a FC Acela ticket does,and 10-12 times a Biz

Class ticket on a Corridor train.

This way I won't bankrupt Amtrak because they don't have to give me Bonus Points!

All those "Free" points and trips were really great!

Sarcasm intended!!

I find it amusing to see folks use the rules and policies that are in place themselves and find it perfectly legit, while, at the same time, castigating others who use the rules that are in place as " gaming the system".

It's my understanding that Acela makes money for Amtrak while LD trips lose money for Amtrak. If so is that because the sleepers aren't full or is it the case that even if all trains were booked all the time, they wouldn't make money? Honest question, I have no idea.

Not that this has so much to do with the question of gaming the system, but it may have something to do with the rules about bonus points.

Guilty as charged! I'm one of those "Gamers" that used the system and it only cost me a few thousand dollars since I can only ride one a day or three time a week LD Trains/!

Good thing most of my LD trips Cost three or four times what a FC Acela ticket does,and 10-12 times a Biz
Class ticket on a Corridor train.

This way I won't bankrupt Amtrak because they don't have to give me Bonus Points!

All those "Free" points and trips were really great!

Sarcasm intended!!

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/how-credit-card-issuers-classify-travel-and-dining-purchases/

Talks about how each bank classifies travel- BofA is detailed and extensive (and includes "Transportation-Suburban and Local Commuter Passenger, including Ferries (MCC 4111)").
Good link and good to know fortune tellers are included (Amusement Parks, Carnivals, Circuses, Fortune Tellers (MCC 7996))!!
My copy says it includes stagecoaches, hot air balloons, surreys, renting a horse from the OK Corral, rowboats, sailing ships and Navy mess charges as well as civialian space trips.

My BoA Reward Coupons are already in my AGR account but I am confused by what is meant by Full Fare on the Companion Coupon. Does that simply mean whatever the current low bucket before any AAA, etc discounts or is it Full Pull Unrestricted High Bucket?
The one paying for the trip can't get AAA or senior discounts.

I just received the monthly AGR statement with the link to the new BofA card. I applied and was approved in relative seconds... for 1/2 the credit limit we had with the Chase card. Whatever. I can pay it off twice a month if I have to.

Like somebody else said, the goal here is to accrue points before the new redemption formula goes into effect. There are two more weeks left to load-up the Chase card. Even with the supposed 8 to 12 weeks fine-print thing with the new card, we have enough "in the bank" where, one way or another, we're getting a round trip bedroom to the West Coast next year on points. After that?... good question.

Applied today for the Bank of America AGR World Card (on the AGR site) and was approved in 30 seconds. The World Card offered a 20,000 point bonus with a $1000 minimum monthly purchase, 3 points per dollar spent and some other good perks BUT for a $79.00 yearly fee. This card triples our annual point potential but again for a yearly fee.

With the new revenue based system, LD travelers will require more points. Overall it sounds like a very fair deal for shorter trips but a more costly deal for what used to be two and three zone trips. In particular the LSL and Card will require far more points for a sleeper to CUS.

... BUT for a $79.00 yearly fee. This card triples our annual point potential but again for a yearly fee.
That was where I drew the line. We do not have any fee-based cards, so I was disinterested in one to start with. Plus like you said the LD customer (...like us...) doesn't do very well under the new system, so I wasn't going to commit to an annual fee when our ability to actually make use of the points and perks with a "better" card remains a big question mark.

I'm saying no thanks to both cards. Where I live there is only one train within reasonable distance. The new AGR rules require far too many points for the kinds of trips I like to take, except for the occasional daytime trip to NOL. I already have enough points for one more LD trip under the zone rules, with some remaining leftover points.

It was fun while it lasted!

Back