New Amtrak Single Leval Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it looks like they've doubled the space in the restrooms,the car attendants will be able to store twice as much in there now!!
Not only that, the LSA's can now use a ENTIRE TABLE, and the CONDUCTOR can still use an ENTIRE TABLE, and the LSA can use half of the bathroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Biz-Class does nothing for me, again.

60 seats, vs. 70 or 71. So you get a little more room between the seat in front of you, that's nice.

But I'd sure rather see 2-1 seating, and service at your seat. But I digress.

Windows still appear too damn small. What's one common reason people take the train? To see the country. Heck, many of Amtrak's advertising campaigns have hinged on that very topic. The Acela windows are great, maybe these are the same size............

I'd call it Amfleet III. Yuck.

Yeah... The drawings give me an uneasy feeling in my gut... I hate riding backwards, :angry2: wish BC was 2/1 :angry: and am leery about the seating in the cafe car. :unsure: But with the aging fleet, at least they will be new. :huh:

Meh. That's all I can really say...I got to ride in the Mule in BC today...that was actually nice, and I think the cafe setup in those BC/Cafe cars makes a lot more sense than does the full-car-and-usually-quite-empty "full cafe car" setup. At least you're getting half a car of revenue space, then!

If these are built half as well as the Amfleets, I'll be happy. The interior can always be reconfigured.

If these are built half as well as the Amfleets, I'll be happy. The interior can always be reconfigured.
GML speaks wisely! Who do you think the builder will be? Bombardier? Kawasaki? Budd? (I wish) Pullman Standard? (I wish again) Siemans? Apple? (hey ya never know)
CAF? Rotem? Alstom? :)

Why standing counters in the cafe cars? I don't really wanna stand while im eating. There was talk of redesigning the Cascades bistro cars this way. I'm not sure what happened to said plans but I hope they got scrapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us remember these cars are for NEC usage, and NEC usage is different than other areas of the system. In the NEC, extensive table seating in the Cafe makes for a very crowded cafe car. Amtrak is probably hoping this layout will make for a more effective flowthrough of passengers.

I get the impression that these are modeled after the Acela coach cars. The windows appear to be similar in size to the Acela. When I look at the drawings I am reminded of the Acela. If that was a case these would be a huge improvement over Amfleets as far as windows and comfort. Durability might be another question, but maybe those issues could be resolved when these cars are manufactured.

Amtrak should think about buying EMUs for the Regional services that runs only on electrified section of NER.
Not sure it makes sense to have 2 separate NEC fleets, one for strictly BOS-NYP-WAS/PHL-HBG services, and another for any services that run on the Springfield line, into Virginia, on the Empire Corridor, and any other non-electrified lines.

Empire Corridor isnt electrified for the most part and if it is its 3rd rail.

Most routes run between DC and Boston doesnt it? Assign Amfleets normally used on the route to somewhere else.

Empire Corridor isnt electrified for the most part and if it is its 3rd rail.

Most routes run between DC and Boston doesnt it? Assign Amfleets normally used on the route to somewhere else.
Right, the Empire Corridor is not electrified, except for a short portion near NYP (which uses third rail). Which is why I included it with Springfield line services, Virginia services, and any other services that run on non-electrified lines.

I am suggesting it may not make sense to have two different NEC fleets, one electrified using EMUs and another using locomotive-hauled coaches.

GML speaks wisely! Who do you think the builder will be? Bombardier? Kawasaki? Budd? (I wish) Pullman Standard? (I wish again) Siemans? Apple? (hey ya never know)
CAF? Rotem? Alstom? :)
Please don't get me started on Rotem! :angry2: They are well behind on the SL V's for Septa and if Amtrak even considers Rotem I'll lose some respect for Amtrak! :unsure: Now that SL V's are being delivered slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, they are starting to fall behind again! I don't know if you've had a chance to see the new V's yet Jis but the welds are so poor! Amtrak shouldn't even consider them! I am NOT a fan of Rotem! I like the new V's but I don't like Rotem! Me personally I'd like to see Amtrak use someone like Alstom or Bombardier! A good quality builder! Hey we don't know how CAF is going to hold up with the new Viewliners yet! With the delivery of the product and so on and so forth.

Amtrak should think about buying EMUs for the Regional services that runs only on electrified section of NER.
Do you really think that someone will make a EMU capable of 125?? :blink: :eek:hboy: In fact I don't know if FRA would allow that. :help:
What!!!! Other than the French TGV, almost all high speed train sets ARE EMU's. The original Metroliners were EMU's. The Japanese Shinkansen trainsets are EMU's. When you get to very high speeds, EMU's are about the only practical trainset, as putting enough power to the rail through the driving wheels at very high speeds requires too much weight on them. (Aerodynamic resistance goes up with the square of speed, and at high speeds adhesion between wheel and rail goes down. Reuced adhesion is not really a problem in braking. Remember, the high aerodynamic resistance helps you stop. This is why ther is not need to worry about down grade run aways on a 200 plus mph railroad even on a 2 percent grade. Gravity simply cannot make the train go fast enough to go off the outside of a curve that will permit 200 mph.

Of all the blunders Amtrak has made in the past 40 years of its existence, specifying twin power car and trailer arrangements for the Acela (Ala TGV) rather than a distributed power EMU ranks up their with the greatest. EMUs make the most sense in high speed operations, especially when acceleration is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back