New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s dinner. The potatoes don’t resemble potatoes in taste or texture. The beef is... ok?

Was told I would just go to the diner and give my room number when I was ready to eat.... but then at 6:00 my attendant came with my meal and said “they made your food so I brought it to you” - I think that’s just confusion cause of the first day but I really wanted to eat in the diner and a bit later. On the plus side, they brought a little table cloth for my roomette table. Also brought a Brownie and a roll, neither of which I can eat, even though I ordered a meal which is listed as gluten free.

Oh yeah... and the only salad dressing option is Heinz ranch served in ketchup size packets. Keeps getting better and better.

The photo that you attached of the entree is very unappetizing in its appearance. Both of my Delta's First Class flights this Summer from/to MSP to VYR offered lunches that were far more appealing in appearance. Only two options on both flights were available. I observed both and preferred my lunch on both flights.

Here’s dinner. The potatoes don’t resemble potatoes in taste or texture. The beef is... ok?

Was told I would just go to the diner and give my room number when I was ready to eat.... but then at 6:00 my attendant came with my meal and said “they made your food so I brought it to you” - I think that’s just confusion cause of the first day but I really wanted to eat in the diner and a bit later. On the plus side, they brought a little table cloth for my roomette table. Also brought a Brownie and a roll, neither of which I can eat, even though I ordered a meal which is listed as gluten free.

Oh yeah... and the only salad dressing option is Heinz ranch served in ketchup size packets. Keeps getting better and better.

What? No balsamic vinaigrette? I think there were three dressing choices on the final Meteor dining car southbound.

We're scheduled to come back 10/15 from FLL on the Starve because I didn't think we'd get off the cruise ship early enough to make the Meteor. Now with self-disembarking it may be possible and I was considering changing our booking to the Meteor, but now I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost, other than getting to NY a few hours earlier.

What? No balsamic vinaigrette? I think there were three dressing choices on the final Meteor dining car southbound.

We're scheduled to come back 10/15 from FLL on the Starve because I didn't think we'd get off the cruise ship early enough to make the Meteor. Now with self-disembarking it may be possible and I was considering changing our booking to the Meteor, but now I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost, other than getting to NY a few hours earlier.

In December, I booked the Star after my cruise because I was unsure whether I could get to FTL in time for the Meteor. I got off the ship pretty early and caught a cab. There was virtually no traffic because it was a weekeknd. When I was sure I would get to the station in time, I called to modify my reservation from the Star to the Meteor. I paid a little more but I was happy to get home earlier.

The photo that you attached of the entree is very unappetizing in its appearance. Both of my Delta's First Class flights this Summer from/to MSP to VYR offered lunches that were far more appealing in appearance. Only two options on both flights were available. I observed both and preferred my lunch on both flights.

I've flown domestic first class on both american and delta this year... both offered better presented, better tasting, and more filling meals in my opinion. To be fair.. neither american or delta offer a choice of desserts. Delta offered a sorbet which was gluten free, American offered the warm cookies which were not. But American had the warmed nuts for an appetizer so that filled me up.

Someone on trainorders rode the City of New Orleans. Liked the flexible dining experience. I'm sure there's others out there who'll chime in on various groups.

I'm not sure what he had to eat... this food is not even close to the quality of the salmon, steak, veggie burger, etc. (I'm not sure I've had the chicken since it was the half chicken so I can't really comment). Just the salads alone have gone downhill. A small cup of iceberg lettuce with a single cherry tomato and a ketchup size packet of heinz ranch dressing vs. the previous Newmans Dressings (Ranch, Balsamic, Thousand Island, maybe French? I always used the Balsamic).

The service model I can see someone liking better than the old... I don't think either is perfect. The general idea of being able to seat yourself and stay as long as you like is kind of nice. Makes the dining car way more casual and lounge like.

I've flown domestic first class on both american and delta this year... both offered better presented, better tasting, and more filling meals in my opinion. To be fair.. neither american or delta offer a choice of desserts. Delta offered a sorbet which was gluten free, American offered the warm cookies which were not. But American had the warmed nuts for an appetizer so that filled me up.

Delta offered no different dessert. Warmed nuts? Maybe on Delta, but such service does not stand out in my memory. Prompt beverage service as quickly as the Flight Attendant could supply on both flights prior to take-off was superior. When the aircraft boards in front of the First Class section, one's First Class seat further back from that entrance really reduces the Flight Attendant's ability to timely offer the service that he/she is trying to do.

In December, I booked the Star after my cruise because I was unsure whether I could get to FTL in time for the Meteor. I got off the ship pretty early and caught a cab. There was virtually no traffic because it was a weekeknd. When I was sure I would get to the station in time, I called to modify my reservation from the Star to the Meteor. I paid a little more but I was happy to get home earlier.

That's good to know I can change it so late in the game....I just realized it's 10/14, not 10/15, that I'll be disembarking which is Columbus Day so hopefully low traffic.

Well that explains that.... I thought they tasted more like grits ha. : -p

Great train over all. On time, surprisingly smooth for csx, super nice and personable attendant. Don’t want anyone to think I’m hating the trip, just not impressed with the food.

Honestly I could get used to the service model, it has its own pros and cons like the traditional dining.

Which would you say you “preferred” (if you had to get one again.)

I'm not sure what he had to eat... this food is not even close to the quality of the salmon, steak, veggie burger, etc. (I'm not sure I've had the chicken since it was the half chicken so I can't really comment). Just the salads alone have gone downhill. A small cup of iceberg lettuce with a single cherry tomato and a ketchup size packet of heinz ranch dressing vs. the previous Newmans Dressings (Ranch, Balsamic, Thousand Island, maybe French? I always used the Balsamic).

The service model I can see someone liking better than the old... I don't think either is perfect. The general idea of being able to seat yourself and stay as long as you like is kind of nice. Makes the dining car way more casual and lounge like.

Balsamic vinaigrette, lite Italian and Ranch were the three choices we had on 9/30

Delta offered no different dessert. Warmed nuts? Maybe on Delta, but such service does not stand out in my memory. Prompt beverage service as quickly as the Flight Attendant could supply on both flights prior to take-off was superior. When the aircraft boards in front of the First Class section, one's First Class seat further back from that entrance really reduces the Flight Attendant's ability to timely offer the service that he/she is trying to do.

American offers these bowls of warmed nuts as an appetizer. They are real ceramic bowls too.. very classy. In my limited experience American has actually had as good or better first class service when compared to Delta. I thought the food was slightly better quality on American too.. but they were pretty comparable.

No new diner on Cardinal #51 today.:(

Per Track-a-train 50 should go through CVS in half an hour or so. I'll be on the lookout.:confused:
After sitting in the CVS station for almost an hour #50 finally crossed my field of vision: NO DINER. The usual consist. I guess "after Oct 1st" doesn't mean what I thought it meant. To this we have come.
Today's 50 would not have a dining car since its Sunday's 51 turned at CHI.

Air
American offers these bowls of warmed nuts as an appetizer. They are real ceramic bowls too.. very classy. In my limited experience American has actually had as good or better first class service when compared to Delta. I thought the food was slightly better quality on American too.. but they were pretty comparable.

Air Canada Business does the same...almonds and cashews. And to my delight/horror, brought a newly filled bowl after I finished the first

Which would you say you “preferred” (if you had to get one again.)

The Shrimp dish would be my choice. The beef dish tasted so salty I feel like I took a few days off my life expectancy just eating it. The beef itself was tender and had a nice flavor but the sauce was really over the top salt wise.

Did two segments on AA last week. Omelette with sausages, potatoes and warm cinnamon rolls on the first; choice of "Asian Cobb salad" with chicken breast or cheeseburger and salad on the second. Cheeseburger was a bit messy, but surprisingly tasty. Both flights 3 hours long. This shouldn't be difficult to replicate on a train with single overnight.

Also rode Pacific Surfliner and got a look at the café menu. Some of it looked pretty good, and even the free snack box in Business Class was much better than expected. Amtrak doesn't even have to look to the airlines for inspiration - just look to the west coast.

Last week was on three AA First and the LSL. Snack, Nothing, Dinner.

The Lake Shore Limited was not better or worse than AA.

All four segments were forgettable.

On America Airlines Domestic First:
The only thing I really like was the warm nuts on two flights, and have my drink in a real glass. The dinner was pasta, not good and tiny. The snack was a cheese tray, quite good, but the grapes were not prime, the snack did hit the spot with the warm nuts, but it was dinner time and was surprised I did not get a dinner. DFW to Chicago. The flight from Albany only had a drink and a bag of chips offered. The cheese tray would of been perfect for this flight.

On the Lake Shore Limited:
The breakfast sandwich hit the spot, but served in wrapper.
The lunch was just small, and had to eat the sugar laden brownie to fill up.

In recap I was not impressed and I could do better.

Did two segments on AA last week. Omelette with sausages, potatoes and warm cinnamon rolls on the first; choice of "Asian Cobb salad" with chicken breast or cheeseburger and salad on the second. Cheeseburger was a bit messy, but surprisingly tasty. Both flights 3 hours long. This shouldn't be difficult to replicate on a train with single overnight.

Also rode Pacific Surfliner and got a look at the café menu. Some of it looked pretty good, and even the free snack box in Business Class was much better than expected. Amtrak doesn't even have to look to the airlines for inspiration - just look to the west coast.

Or even the east - Acela first has some decent preprepared heated meals.

Air Canada Business does the same...almonds and cashews. And to my delight/horror, brought a newly filled bowl after I finished the first
Likewise on United.

I also like the fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookie after the meal on domestic flights. On intercontinental flights in Business Class or in Polaris as they call it, the dessert, cheese plate and after dinner drinks is a much more elaborate affair.

The chicken and twice baked potato I had on American was pretty good. Still not as good as traditional dining car food, but imho, better than the new flex dining.

Also, American served the meals on real plates with silverwear in a cloth napkin. And as you mentioned, real glasses (complete with aa logo etched). At least they are trying.

Attachments

• 9F58D806-C799-419A-A378-F3E5B0F3D3F3.jpeg
    9F58D806-C799-419A-A378-F3E5B0F3D3F3.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 44
  • C0EC8046-CAB4-4AFA-BBC2-8CBFCD5F7B87.jpeg
    C0EC8046-CAB4-4AFA-BBC2-8CBFCD5F7B87.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 44
Just as a heads up as to where to concentrate the next fight. As my wife and I were finishing our trip on the Texas Eagle, during the stretch stop in Dallas our diner cook opened her window and got some fresh air. I complimented her highly as the food on the Eagle had been the best of all the trains we rode (this held for both directions). She was very appreciative, but asked me to write my congress folks to ask them to continue the diner service. She said they are hearing the goal to terminate the diner on the Texas Eagle (and maybe others in the west) is a year and a half.

I live in the middle of the country and mainly fly baby jets out of a spoke-port, so even in First Class there is little or no food to be found on most domestic trips. That being said the short duration means I rarely feel the need or desire to eat anything substantial. Bring me a drink and a snack on my 1-3 hour flight and I'm fine. If there is a long layover due to bad weather or maintenance delays I can find better food at airports than I can on Amtrak or in the vast majority of train stations. Most of my airline meal experience comes from transoceanic flights and it honestly blows my mind that I can find tastier meals thirty thousand feet over the Pacific than thirteen feet over Texas. On-board dining is an area where Amtrak could mop the floor with airline standards, but instead they struggle to keep up and look to be falling even further behind. No matter who you think is most responsible for this situation it's an extremely unfortunate result.

Last edited:
As an aside, how were the PPC meals handled (in terms of packaging, prep) on the supplier side? Aside from being a nice variety vs the standard diner fare, they did seem to be a pretty straightforward operation (and the PPC only required one attendant to work on that side, while the kitchen was as busy as any "normal" kitchen).

Anyhow, I was on Delta yesterday (MCO-JFK-DCA). The lunch on MCO was also pretty boilerplate. Got stuck with the chicken salad (that is, a salad with chicken on top) since the sliders "sold out" by the time the FA was through rows 1 and 2. Food was on actual dishes, drinks in actual glasses (except at takeoff), served with actual flatware. The only mild shortcoming (other than the meal being boilerplate) was that the dessert was an oatmeal raisin cookie. I don't generally "do" raisins in cookies, so that went in my bag for a friend.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to TV dinners. During my college days I probably consumed hundreds of them - at least twice a week I would say. Overall I thought they were very good. Sometimes I would get creative and even make a salad from scratch to go with my TV dinner.

They were quite economical for one person. Of course I wasn't paying hundreds of dollars, like Amtrak passengers do, for the privilege of eating that fare.

DA makes a good point. Even a long domestic flight you only get 1 meal. My trip on the Meteor (not end to end, Orlando - Philadelphia) is over 3 meal periods.

The current offerings do not resemble anything you order and receive in a restaurant. They are TV dinners basically.

The old menu wasn’t fine dining, but it was comparable to what people order at a Denny’s, Applebee’s, etc.

Here’s breakfast. Amtrak crew is sitting at the “buffet table” so you awkwardly get your coffee creamer, etc. while they are just sitting there.

Lsa has a tip jar out of course.

Oh and iced coffee is no longer on the “flex” dining menu (it was on the original contemporary dining menus).

Attachments

• 38EBE3F4-2371-41CA-9D9F-977438F8AEA2.jpeg
    38EBE3F4-2371-41CA-9D9F-977438F8AEA2.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 73
Back