New Excited Rider with Lots of Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so excited about my first train trip. I am taking the 42 Texas Eagle AKA the sunset limited from LA to Houston. However I have a few newbie questions and wanted some opinions from you experts. Sorry in advance for the strangeness of some of these questions and for having so many. FEEL FREE TO ONLY ANSWER ONE OR A FEW QUESTIONS! Thanks for your time!

1. People keep mentioning "bucket rates" When I booked my ticket I saw nothing of bucket rate and was wondering what that meant?

2. I have never been on a train (mostly fly or drive) - is motion sickness common on trains? My first time on a boat resulted in a 5 hour conversation with a bathroom toilet.

3. Food - How would you describe the food on the train? Overpriced? Good! Hot and fresh? I plan to bring lots of snacks… but also want to experience the romanticism of a dinning car!

4. Social Interaction - Do people talk a lot on the train to each other? If I want to eat at the diner car do I need a partner or can I eat alone? Do you have to make reservations for those cars or can you just show up? Is it common to sit with someone you don't know. Would be really fun to meet new people!

5. Seat Placement - I have a reserved coach class ticket and was wondering if its a first come first served free for all to find a seat? Do they assign you a section and then you are allowed to pick a seat in that section? Do they make you sit next to someone if the car is not full. Can you move if you don't like the person you are next to? I guess what I am getting at is as a single traveler is this a chance I will be stuck next to non hygienic/ snoring/ annoying talker or can I move. Wow I sound like an ahole… I am just asking what I am thinking.

6. Speaking of seats - do I want to get a window or aisle seat? Any tips?

7. Can you get out of your seat and walk around as much as you want?

8. I stay up really late and read or play on the computer till 4am … will the light bother people around me or next to me in the middle of the night?

9. Is there any forum in which to post the train you are going to be on and see learn who else will be on the train with you? Thought something like that might be fun.

10. And finally… People seem to ask when the Sunset Limited will be returning and it looks like I am on the sunset limited? Am I confused? Is there another sunset limited or did it just come back and those are old post?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME and all your post and to whoever created this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome -

I am moving your questions over to the main forum area where they will generate the answers you need.

Hi Joelitz, and Welcome.

I'll answer No. 4, which is one of the easier questions and leave the rest to those who know a lot about Amtrak.

I usually ride coach and have always found the other passengers to be friendly. One time, when riding from Chicago to LA with my grandson, there were two other women traveling with boys around his age. As the boys shared toys and played games, the moms (and me, the grandma) took turns getting soft drinks and snacks while the other moms watched out for the kids. That's how it is. Warm and friendly, without being intrusive.

About the dining car, there is usually a reservation required for dinner. Otherwise you can go to the dining car during the breakfast and lunch and they'll announce when it's open. They will sit you together with other people at the same table.

Have a wonderful trip!

I am so excited about my first train trip. I am taking the 42 Texas Eagle AKA the sunset limited from LA to Houston. However I have a few newbie questions and wanted some opinions from you experts. Sorry in advance for the strangeness of some of these questions and for having so many. FEEL FREE TO ONLY ANSWER ONE OR A FEW QUESTIONS! Thanks for your time!
1. People keep mentioning "bucket rates" When I booked my ticket I saw nothing of bucket rate and was wondering what that meant?

2. I have never been on a train (mostly fly or drive) - is motion sickness common on trains? My first time on a boat resulted in a 5 hour conversation with a bathroom toilet.

3. Food - How would you describe the food on the train? Overpriced? Good! Hot and fresh? I plan to bring lots of snacks… but also want to experience the romanticism of a dinning car!

4. Social Interaction - Do people talk a lot on the train to each other? If I want to eat at the diner car do I need a partner or can I eat alone? Do you have to make reservations for those cars or can you just show up? Is it common to sit with someone you don't know. Would be really fun to meet new people!

5. Seat Placement - I have a reserved coach class ticket and was wondering if its a first come first served free for all to find a seat? Do they assign you a section and then you are allowed to pick a seat in that section? Do they make you sit next to someone if the car is not full. Can you move if you don't like the person you are next to? I guess what I am getting at is as a single traveler is this a chance I will be stuck next to non hygienic/ snoring/ annoying talker or can I move. Wow I sound like an ahole… I am just asking what I am thinking.

8. I stay up really late and read or play on the computer till 4am … will the light bother people around me or next to me in the middle of the night?

9. Is there any forum in which to post the train you are going to be on and see learn who else will be on the train with you? Thought something like that might be fun.

10. And finally… People seem to ask when the Sunset Limited will be returning and it looks like I am on the sunset limited? Am I confused? Is there another sunset limited or did it just come back and those are old post?

I'll give it a stab:

1 - "Bucket Rates" are more of an internal term that are commonly known. When a train first goes on sale, and has all its seats available, it's in the "lowest bucket" and the seats go for the lowest price available. When demand shows itself and say 20% of the seats are sold, it may go up to the next bucket, and the seats on the same train wind up being pricier. I think there are 5 buckets used to try to match price to demand, and reward early purchase.

2 - I've never had a problem - it won't be anything like a boat - a little rocking that's easily ignored in my book.

3 - Food in the diner is pretty good - there is also the lounge which has prepackaged heat and eat snacks and sandwiches. These are usually several rungs below the diner in terms of quality, and breadth (no vegetables for example).

4 - This varies - I've seen some trains become social fests while others have been stone quiet - it will all depend on the other folks buying tickets as to what you get. Yes, you are welcome to go to the diner yourself, and you'll be seated with other single riders at a 3 or 4 person table. It's very common "trainequette" to chit chat with your fellow diner seatmates, usually starting by exchanging stories of where you're going, where you're coming from, and commonly why (to visit relatives, etc.) - This is one of the best parts of the train ride.

5 - This can vary too - If the train is lightly sold, chances are you can sit where you want. If it's more heavily sold, you may be assigned a seat by another single traveller, as they try to reserve pairs for those travelling in pairs when the seats are limited.

6 -Since the windows aren't huge and panoramic, I would probably want a window seat to get the view. If you don't get one, don't fret, as I think this train still runs a sightseer lounge you can access which has more panoramic windows.

7 - Not a problem at all.

8 - You can, and I've seen it done. Reading would probably be less distracting to others - the spotlight above you will adequately light the pages without being very visible to others.

9 - Yeap, there's a member forum that posts trips booked for AU members - a few of us have crossed paths using this!

10 - What's being referred to here is Sunset Limited Service east of New Orleans, commonly called "Sunset East." This service was suspended following Hurricane Katrina due to damage to the line and structures, and has yet to be restored.

I am so excited about my first train trip. I am taking the 42 Texas Eagle AKA the sunset limited from LA to Houston.
I hope your ticket doesn't read train "42" as that's a train from Pittsburgh to New York! :) I think you're on #2/22.

Unless they extended the Pennsylvanian out west - how cool would THAT be! ;)

Welcome to the forum!

You may want to consider booking a roomette for part of your trip. This will give you, along with a flat bed to sleep in-meals, non alcoholic beverages, access to a shower, juices, bottled water, ice & coffee in the sleeper car. The prices for roomettes/bedrooms can be expensive, though. You can always attempt an onboard upgrade to a roomette by speaking with the Conductor after boarding the train.

#2-Hubby & I both get seasick & have had no problems.

#4-If you are in a roomette or bedroom, you can choose to have meals in your room, just remember to tip you Sleeping Car Attendant.

#8-If you're in a roomette, you could stay up all night & not worry about it. All roomettes also have a single outlet, too. You may want to bring a small power strip if you need more than one plug.

If you plan on riding the train much at all, go on amtrak.com & sign up for amtrak guest rewards so you can get points too.

Have fun!

I am so excited about my first train trip. I am taking the 42 Texas Eagle AKA the sunset limited from LA to Houston.
I hope your ticket doesn't read train "42" as that's a train from Pittsburgh to New York! :) I think you're on #2/22.

Unless they extended the Pennsylvanian out west - how cool would THAT be! ;)
I hope it doesn't read #22 - that train only runs from Chicago to San Antonio. I hope it reads #422 instead! (That train goes to LA!)

While I cannot answer all I will answer what I know:

Movement on a train is not as bad as a ship.

Stay away from the 40's and 50's movies. Gone is the china but I found the food to be suprisingly good on Sunset Limted last summer. If you have a roomette or sleeper, the meals are included. www.amtrak.com has menus posted on line.

In the diner what they do is seat a full table, so you may or may not be with strangers. Breakfast I usualy got my own table as I went when they opened at 6:30 AM

Yes

Not sure but this is where a sleeper comes in handy.

This one

They are refering to Post-Katrina which wiped out the stations from Mississipi to Florida and the trackage. Sunset Limited (which I will be on again next week) still runs Los Angeles to New Oreleans.

Hi,

Welcom to the forum.

As you are starting from LA, you will have a better chance of choosing your seat, than joining mid ride. As mentioned, it is a matter of luck whether you might even bag a double seat to yourself, or whether you can choose who to sit next to, or you just get given a seat number by the attendant. They tend to group passengers together in coaches by destination, makes it easier for all folk going to Tucson to get a wake up call together..!

People tend to be a little reserved on first boarding, being unsure of the new environment, but after a few miles people often start chatting. I enjoy coach class for the broad range of humanity one encounters.

You can sit in the lounge/viewing car, where it can be easier to strike up a conversation. It may be because I am English, but I find people are keen to chat to me, wanting to know how us Brits view the USA, etc, etc.

The dinning car is a nice experience, and you should enjoy chatting to your fellow table mates. It is not exactly "good hot fresh food", rather pot luck as to temperature, quality and service. Some crews and meals are fantastic, some are awfull. Price is reasonable.. I seem to remember a burger, with a bit of salad and a few chips cost around $8, with main dinners around the $20 mark.

Hot dogs, etc are available from the cafe on the lower deck of the obsevation car, I think they were around $3 or so, microwaved of course..

The seats themselves are great, more like a comfy armchair, and they recline with footrests, so you have a chance of catching some sleep.

Bon Voyage,

Ed :cool:

PS one small but important etiquette is that if you are choosing your own seat, it is expected that you will sit next to a person of the same gender, where possible.

Welcome!

Since I'm crazy :wacko: , I'll try to answer most of your questions.

On an airline, there is one price if you buy 21 days out, another 14 days out, another 7 days out, etc... - these are "buckets". Amtrak doesn't do this with days out, but with the number of seats. There may be (and I just making this up) 20 seats at the "low bucket, 17 at the "next bucket", 25 at the "next bucket", etc... Using these numbers, whenever the 21st seat is sold, the "bucket" raises. It doesn't matter if it is 9 months out, 9 weeks, 9 days or 9 hours!

Each person is different, but if you think you may, you may want to get some over-the-counter medicine for it.
It's not 5 star, but it's good. Think of a Denny's or Applebee's. To save expenses, I usually eat only breakfast and dinner in the Dining Car. (There is also a cafe for snacks and lighter food.)

One of the great things about trains is meeting people! You will be seated with others for meals in the Diner, but that is part of the fun.

I have to go out, but I'll get back to the rest soon!

The food on Amtrak is usually quite good considering the limits in space. Sample menu's with prices can be found here... http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1241267294103

Please note that All Dining car prices include some beverages...

Breakfast - Coffee, Tea, or Milk, AND choice of juice. (yes two drinks are included in the price).

Lunch and Dinner - Coffee, Tea (hot or iced), or milk.

Dinner also includes a small side salad and roll with all entree's.

Oh yes.. and Amtrak does not add tax to prices listed... so what you pay is what you pay (plus tip if you choose to).

Since you will be on the train a few days I recommend you try Breakfast first. It's by far the best deal ($6 buys you two scrambled eggs, potatoes, and Biscuit... plus coffee and juice.) And will give you a good feel for the diner experience...

You will see that dinner ranges in price from $12.50 (veg. pasta), to $22.50 (steak). I've found the chicken to be the best deal ($14... large portion, two sides, plus salad and roll, and tea or coffee).

OH and since your interested in meeting people and hanging out... you will LOVE the lounge car. The lounge car has free for all chairs that face out very large windows that wrap-around the roof. Great for watching the scenery... and meeting new people. There are always fun conversations to be had in the lounge! The upstairs of the lounge is just open seating (you don't have to buy anything to sit up there). The downstairs has booth seating.. and a snack counter where you can get drinks, snacks like candy and chips, and pre-packaged microwaved food like pizza's, hamburgers, sub sandwiches. Those kinds of things. The microwaved food usually leaves a bit to be desired, but is edible. Ha.

PS one small but important etiquette is that if you are choosing your own seat, it is expected that you will sit next to a person of the same gender, where possible.
I guess I've just been lucky, usually when I'm sitting alone I get a lady choosing to sit next to me. I've never complained. :) :) :)

In case you're curious, one can find a sample cafe menu here.

And while we do have a forum where people can post their trips, it unfortunately isn't available to you at this time. In an effort to make our membership feel safe and secure about posting their trip info, there is a vetting process that all members must go through before they are given access to that forum.

I see listed there among the snacks, "Spicy Chicken Winds." Is that what you develop after eating in the cafe?
Alas, no. :lol: That's what you get when you spend hours transcribing things and staring at pictures of the menu. Even better, that was proof read by other's and we all missed it. :lol:

REALLY? I have never done on this on the train, I actually prefer to sit next to men which would be the opposite gender from me. I think they are less likely to have long and really annoying cell phone conversations on trains. Is this a british thing or an american thing, too?

Re: Motion Sickness

I get it about 90% of the time, still love trains and boats, but not that part. It's aggravated by the use of spray cleaners that are used and the closed-in feeling that sometimes occurs, or other people's smells, etc. And I don't wanna hug Amtrak toilets... Sooo, I always take some ginger in cookie or chew form to deal with it.

I spend more time figuring out who I'm not going to sit by then by who I am going to sit by. I never have not sat by someone because of the opposite sex. I don't have children and I usually try to not get a seat by a parent(s) with small children. I don't dislike kids, but they can really push my tolerance buttons.

And while we do have a forum where people can post their trips, it unfortunately isn't available to you at this time. In an effort to make our membership feel safe and secure about posting their trip info, there is a vetting process that all members must go through before they are given access to that forum.
Oh this is fun... it's great to see this.

Interesting enough... a 'lunch' consisting of an iced tea, a cheeseburger, and potato chips would cost $9.50 in the lounge car. The exact same items, served at your table with the addition of lettuce, tomato, and pickell for your burger costs $7.75. The quality of the burger is also alot better in the diner, since it is not a prepackaged, microwaved burger.

However if your on a budget... cup-o-noodles or the veggie burger from the lounge will prob. do the trick for very little money!

Others will (or have) answer your questions in detail. These are my own observations:

Read the thread about what to bring with you http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=22488. For coach, the best advice for me was to bring your own pillow case & ask the attendant for 2 pillows.

And if you really want to make friends, take a power strip/surge protector strip. Particularly in the SS Lounge.

If you think you may disturb your neighbors by watching DVDs in the wee hours of the morning, just move to the lounge.

My wife and some of my kids often get carsick, but they have never had a problem on the train.

You should definitely eat in the dining car; it's one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole experience.

Social interaction: generally, people are far more sociable on the train, much more in the mood to meet you & have a conversation.

In coach, I would suggest the window seat, rather than the aisle, for the better view.

You can get out of your seat and walk around as much as you want, and I would encourage you to visit the dining car and lounge; again, these are some of the best parts of the experience.

Wow guys thanks for all the tips! I am leaving out of LA on Wednesday and am pretty excited. Its cool to see so many people passionate about traveling... I used to be this excited about plane travel until the last few years it got to be such a pain. Glad to know there is another "fun" way to move about the country. If this trip goes well my girlfriend and I are going to try the LA to Portland trip which from what I read is pretty amazing.

I have driven the LA to Houston route so many times its a relief to be able to just sit back and relax. Here are some follow up questions... people mentioned the sightseeing car and the lounge car. I know the dining room has hours but do those cars stay "open" all hours? Someone suggested that as a night owe I can go to the lounge car and not bother people with the light... that would be an amazing option if it stays open late.

And my last question (pretty specific)... The LA to Houston train has a 3 or 4 hour stopover in San Antonio and then takes 4 hours to get to Houston arriving in Houston at 5am. Anyone know the logic to have the train docked for so long and why San Antonio? My guess would be someway to allow a better arrival schedule for those getting on in SA? My plan now is to get off the train and San Antonio and get a ride from a friend to Houston. This will allow me to arrive in Houston 5 hours earlier then the train would. (much needed sleep). Does anyone see any issue with this? I know they wont force me to stay on the train but want to make sure this is not against some "trainediqutte".

THANKS AGAIN for all the answers and advise! Look forward to the ride.

And my last question (pretty specific)... The LA to Houston train has a 3 or 4 hour stopover in San Antonio and then takes 4 hours to get to Houston arriving in Houston at 5am. Anyone know the logic to have the train docked for so long and why San Antonio? My guess would be someway to allow a better arrival schedule for those getting on in SA? My plan now is to get off the train and San Antonio and get a ride from a friend to Houston. This will allow me to arrive in Houston 5 hours earlier then the train would. (much needed sleep). Does anyone see any issue with this? I know they wont force me to stay on the train but want to make sure this is not against some "trainediqutte".
As far as I know, the long stopover in San Antonio is a combination of schedule cushioning, crew scheduling, and "switching duties" at work - the last part of that involves the splicing of your train into two trains, one heading towards New Orleans and one towards Chicago. Others locally may know a bit more on the whys of the maneuver and can explain it better.

I wouldn't expect any trouble at all in disembarking at San Antonio to get the ride into Houston. I've hopped off trains prior to my ticketed destination a couple of times without any hassles. The only courtesy I might offer is to let the Conductor or Coach Attendant that you're jumping out early so they are aware - I've done that each time, so they can collect my seat check and not wonder where I am on the next segment.

Wow guys thanks for all the tips! I am leaving out of LA on Wednesday and am pretty excited. Its cool to see so many people passionate about traveling... I used to be this excited about plane travel until the last few years it got to be such a pain. Glad to know there is another "fun" way to move about the country. If this trip goes well my girlfriend and I are going to try the LA to Portland trip which from what I read is pretty amazing.
I have driven the LA to Houston route so many times its a relief to be able to just sit back and relax. Here are some follow up questions... people mentioned the sightseeing car and the lounge car. I know the dining room has hours but do those cars stay "open" all hours? Someone suggested that as a night owe I can go to the lounge car and not bother people with the light... that would be an amazing option if it stays open late.

The lounge is generally open all night. The lounge serves until about midnight... but the car itself does not close. I have personally stayed up pretty much all night in the lounge talking with friends and even the ocassional extra-friendly car attendant who was aparently bored enough to talk to me at 2AM... Ha.

As far as I know, the long stopover in San Antonio is a combination of schedule cushioning, crew scheduling, and "switching duties" at work - the last part of that involves the splicing of your train into two trains, one heading towards New Orleans and one towards Chicago. Others locally may know a bit more on the whys of the maneuver and can explain it better.

I wouldn't expect any trouble at all in disembarking at San Antonio to get the ride into Houston. I've hopped off trains prior to my ticketed destination a couple of times without any hassles. The only courtesy I might offer is to let the Conductor or Coach Attendant that you're jumping out early so they are aware - I've done that each time, so they can collect my seat check and not wonder where I am on the next segment.

Thanks! Thats all the info I think I need. Now I just need to decide to get a sleeper or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back