New L.A. Waiting Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Soft' opening Mon. 9/23, Grand opening mid-October... I'll be there on the 16th of October... :eek:

Hmmmm :unsure:

Guess I'll find out! :giggle:
They're waiting for you to come and cut the ribbon. :giggle:
Now wouldn't that be nice! :)

But I'll probably be a day late...

and a dollar short on my TAP card when I try to get on the bus to LAUS! :(

Depends on the platform. CHI doesn't allow you on the platform without a ticket either. They have everyone do the kindergarten walk, and the gate dragon checks your ID and ticket before you walk through the first set of doors.
I'm pretty sure I've seen people on the platforms at CHI waving to loved ones as the train pulled out. So maybe it's a question of knowing how to smile at or charm the gate dragons.

Depends on the platform. CHI doesn't allow you on the platform without a ticket either. They have everyone do the kindergarten walk, and the gate dragon checks your ID and ticket before you walk through the first set of doors.
I'm pretty sure I've seen people on the platforms at CHI waving to loved ones as the train pulled out. So maybe it's a question of knowing how to smile at or charm the gate dragons.
The Metra platforms don't have gate checks... and they're the same platforms. Makes it easy if you know what you're doing.

I'll be there, transferring from Pacific Surfliner business class to Coast Starlight Sleeper, on October 9th. Hope to check it out :D

How does it compare to, say, the Magnolia Room in New Orleans? That's my only other point of reference for small lounges.

How does it compare to, say, the Magnolia Room in New Orleans? That's my only other point of reference for small lounges.
I'd say it's maybe twice the size--and far more tastefully decorated, IMHO--than the Magnolia Room. From my vantage point in the pics you can sort of see there is a partial room divider. To the left of the divider is the main seating area, the refreshment center, and what looked to me to be a conference room still being furnished in the rear left corner. Also, a hallway exists behind the refreshment center wall, down which you'll find the (über-clean) restrooms and an additional exit (perhaps for those using the redcap service to get to their trains).

On the right of that divider is the main check-in desk, some additional seating in the form of tables in the rear and a padded bench that is built into the divider, and the front door of the lounge out of sight to the extreme right. Sorry I didn't take more photos, but I prefer to photograph on the down-low and not have to answer questions from curious staffers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back