New location for Tacoma Amtrak station recommended

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/10/08/2325220/state-study-recommends-freighthouse.html

State study recommends Freighthouse Square for new Amtrak station, hurdles remain

State officials propose to relocate Tacoma’s Amtrak Station to Freighthouse Square as they prepare to reroute passenger trains through south Tacoma, Lakewood and DuPont, according to a long-awaited study released Monday.

CHRISTIAN HILL; STAFF WRITER

Although Freighthouse Square is the logical location for the new Tacoma Amtrak station, I wonder how it can be done within the existing confines of the building. On the surface it seems woefully inadequate for a full-service station, being filled as it is with "greasy spoon" joints and "tacky" souvenir shops. Best part of the whole place is the great photo exhibit of days-gone-by Tacoma rail history. Perhaps an entirely new structure could be built across East D street, just past Freighhouse Square--I think there would be enough vacant land. But that would mean blocking D Street, which wouldn't be acceptable. As far as I can tell, there is no room across the track to the south of the Square for an Amtrak station.

I'm not an expert on the area or anything, but judging from Google Maps, there looks like there's some vacant land off of 26th street that could make for a nice Amtrak station with the addition of a second platform.

If they are going to re-route all teh AMTRAK trains to the revised Prairie Line, I would suggest that they build an entirely new station on that line in the vicinity of the old NP South Tacoma Shops. Lots of land and easy access by the entire area

Speaking as one who lived in South Tacoma as a child, my concerns are more about the traffic. Many times our bus had to wait for trains at crossings. I don't recall much about the area around the Square - will have to ask my famliy.

I don't know enough to comment in-depth, but I've always found it surprising that Sounder trains and Amtrak trains use different

stations in Tacoma. Hopefully whatever is settled upon would eliminate that confusing duplicity. Seems like some potential for

connecting passengers is lost with the current arrangement.

Seems like some potential for connecting passengers is lost with the current arrangement.
There is very little potential for connecting passengers at present, anyway. At present, Sounder's morning service is finished long before the first northbound Cascades comes through.

The two reverse commute northbound trains in the afternoon would require a 1.5-hour connection from train 506.

Southbound connections are slightly better.

I was just in the Tacoma station buildings (both Amtrak and Sounder) a little over a month ago, and the Freighthouse Square building looked like it had plenty of room. It's not like you really need a ton of space. A window for a ticket counter and a space for baggage is all you need. Everything else (passenger waiting, restroom facilities, etc.) area already covered by the building's existing layout.

Seems like some potential for connecting passengers is lost with the current arrangement.
There is very little potential for connecting passengers at present, anyway. At present, Sounder's morning service is finished long before the first northbound Cascades comes through.

The two reverse commute northbound trains in the afternoon would require a 1.5-hour connection from train 506.

Southbound connections are slightly better.
True enough about current schedules not working for connections, but it's a bit of a chicken-egg thing. Neither agency needs to worry about providing logical

connections since few people want to make a connection that involves switching train stations. If the trains served the same station, there would be more

incentive to provide a logical connection.

Hopefully if the station is moved, and when additional Cascades trains are added, the schedules will sync up a bit more.

True enough about current schedules not working for connections, but it's a bit of a chicken-egg thing. Neither agency needs to worry about providing logical

connections since few people want to make a connection that involves switching train stations. If the trains served the same station, there would be more

incentive to provide a logical connection.

Hopefully if the station is moved, and when additional Cascades trains are added, the schedules will sync up a bit more.
Maybe. But Sounder's primary purpose is to provide commuter service into Seattle, not necessarily to provide local connections for intercity passengers coming from Portland. I doubt serving the same station in Tacoma would change that much.

http://www.thenewstr...eighthouse.html

State study recommends Freighthouse Square for new Amtrak station, hurdles remain

State officials propose to relocate Tacoma's Amtrak Station to Freighthouse Square as they prepare to reroute passenger trains through south Tacoma, Lakewood and DuPont, according to a long-awaited study released Monday.

CHRISTIAN HILL; STAFF WRITER

Read more here: http://www.thenewstr...l#storylink=cpy

Looks like it won't affect the Cascades in Sept. 2013 *if* it does pass. I'm about to make reservations and my plan right now has been to stop in Tacoma since hotels are cheaper than Seattle, then take the 500 to Seattle in the morning and catch the EB home in the afternoon. I haven't made my reservations yet (as the dates aren't available), so I can still take the CS to Seattle, but it doesn't look necessary.

I was in Tacoma back in 2008 and at the time it seemed like there was enough space at Freighthouse. It's not like the Amshack a few blocks over is all that capacious.

I was in Tacoma back in 2008 and at the time it seemed like there was enough space at Freighthouse. It's not like the Amshack a few blocks over is all that capacious.
That's funny...I was in Tacoma in 08 too! I agree, there wasn't much in the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back