New Meaning to the Term - Jumping on a Train!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
(CBS) CAMARILLO, Calif. Authorities using a helicopter plucked an injured man from the top of an Amtrak passenger train near Camarillo Thursday morning.

The man, identified as Juan Lopez, apparently jumped from a Camarillo overpass onto the train while it was stopped around 9 a.m.

Complete Story Here

This was a common occurence in Sao Paulo, Brazil in the mid 90's.! :lol:

"Rail Surfing" was a "rite of passage" among teen gang members and a big problem for years! Alot of people slid off the roofs in the curves, but the biggest cause of injury was getting hit by the platform roof as the train entered the station! :blink:

MJ B)

Miami Joe, if you know a TA in MIA named Alan Snyder, ask him about his rail surfer he had in RMT just about a year and half ago. One of his passengers in the sleeper got off the train to find a candy bar inside the station. When he didn't return and the conductor said all aboard, he closed his door and the train departed. Approximately 20 minutes later, a passing CSX crew called in to report a man hanging off the side of the train. The crew stopped at SSM to find the candy bar man hanging on for dear life. He told Alan and the crew that he wasn't missing his train. The story isn't as big as the Brazilian issue, but it brings these kind of boneheaded stories home to Silver Service. :blink:

I know Alan!! :D

What a "great" guy!! :D

Don't get a chance to go to the station very often, but I'm going to look for him! Would love to hear his story!

Thanks!!!

MJ B)

Joe and trainboy, Alan Snyder is a MIA based conductor operating between MIA and TPA! You are thinking of Mr Starke who is the TA out of MIA on that particular trip. I am sure Mr Snyder was aware of that happening, though. He tends to hear all the good stories! OBS...

Thanks, that's what happens when you work with thousands of people in multiple crew bases. You get confused with names. If I remember correctly, TA Alan Starke speaks fluent French and usually entertains his passengers with bilingual commentary. :lol:

The Alan I was thinking of is heavyset with a moustache! <_< I think his last name is Snyder.

Before we had an Amtrak switch crew, I would see him often in the yard to back the train to the station. He would come down in a T-shirt, then change at the station.

One of the few employees I've met that has a "great" attitude! :D

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:
The Alan I was thinking of is heavyset with a moustache! <_< I think his last name is Snyder.
Before we had an Amtrak switch crew, I would see him often in the yard to back the train to the station. He would come down in a T-shirt, then change at the station.

One of the few employees I've met that has a "great" attitude! :D

MJ B)
Yep, that's Snyder. He is cool to me. Some of the other OBS members don't particulaly like working with him, but it is simply because he runs his train! And that's fine with me. I can focus on my job while he handles the bigger stuff. OBS... :D :p

Back