New Member Signing In and Posting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening -

To say I'm a little intimidated by this forum would be an understatement.

I've been reading up on the members experiences as we get ready for our FIRST EVER Amtrak trip on Wednesday evening. The Empire Builder from St. Paul to Seattle.

I've done some traveling in Italy on the train, but never in the United States.

So to be posting here with so many people, so experienced is a bit overwhelming. I've always been in love with trains. My grandfather built me my first train set when I was a boy, many, many years ago. But that was as close as I ever got.

Over the years, if I've needed to get anywhere, I wanted to get there quickly, with minimal hassle. Taking the train, never seemed to be the right fit.

Today, we've decided to slow down a bit...and the train is now the right fit.

Of course, they are predicting a snow storm here in the Twin Cities on the evening we are supposed to leave...so my dream my not be realized. Although, we have been talking about how cool it would be to be stuck on the train in our bedroom. (A little too romanticized I realize..)

I wanted to thank everyone for their posts...I've truly enjoyed reading them. I hope that I can start to post here more frequently now that I have something to share. (Assuming we can get on the train...)

Thanks.

Scott - Minnesota

Aloha

Welcome, enjoy the experience, We all have had our first train, the best one is always the next one.

Mele Kalikimaka, Merry Christmas

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

So to be posting here with so many people, so experienced is a bit overwhelming.
While we may be more experience in train travel, even we had our first trip!

Of course, they are predicting a snow storm here in the Twin Cities on the evening we are supposed to leave...so my dream my not be realized.
I love to travel in the snow!

Enjoy your trip! :)

Welcome Spatten. Are you named after that delicious German beer?

No need to feel overwhelmed or intimidated here. I've been a member just over two months now and no one has ever made me feel stupid or like a useless newbie. There's a wonderful spirit of community here and I do believe you'll fit right now.

Enjoy your trip, too!

I've been a member just over two months now and no one has ever made me feel stupid or like a useless newbie.
Shutup, stupid newbie!

Just kidding, welcome to the forums. :D
Darn you Hokie... You just made me do a spit take! At least it was water and not anything sticky.

To Spatten: I stil learn things when 'newbies' get answers to questions they post. As was said, we were all newbies at one time, except for the_traveler. I think he was born on a train. :blink:

Was a newbie myself just a couple of months ago and even though I've felt intimidated a few times by the expertise of the board members I've learned so much from them. Being a smarter rail_rider has made my trips more enjoyable. One problem though... I now have this constant desire to be on a train!

One problem though... I now have this constant desire to be on a train!
Don't worry - there's no cure for it! :lol:
That's Good, as I almost have my doctor convinced that writing a perscription for a week each year is good medicine.

Aloha

And just think one of our children, or grandchildren my ride a train on the moon or Mar's. Think it might be named Amtrak Lunar Express :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :eek: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Mele Kalikimaka

I took a spin around the forum...but I couldn't find any information on the best way to....

...discover if your train is coming into the station on time or not.

...just call the station?

spatten

(not quite the German beer...I think it only has one "T") :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a spin around the forum...but I couldn't find any information on the best way to.......discover if your train is coming into the station on time or not.

...just call the station?

spatten

(not quite the German beer...I think it only has one "T") :)
Go to the Amtrak home page and click on the status section or call 1-800-872-7245 and use Julie the automated agent to get departure and arrival information. Times given are nearly accurate.

To say I'm a little intimidated by this forum would be an understatement.
Why? You're among friends.

Whether you like riding trains, looking at them, playing with them, or just thinking about them, there will be threads (mostly likely entire forums) here just for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back