New Menu's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

San Walkeen

Train Attendant
I just noticed some new menu updates on the Amtrak website. Several of the routes are listed as going Eastbound/Northbound. I wonder how long it will take until they see the mistake?

I just noticed some new menu updates on the Amtrak website. Several of the routes are listed as going Eastbound/Northbound. I wonder how long it will take until they see the mistake?
What mistake? There's a separate menu for Westbound/Southbound. Recently we were discussing how the French Toast is not available in both directions on some trains, so now they have menus to reflect this. This is a good thing, IMO.

What mistake? There's a separate menu for Westbound/Southbound. Recently we were discussing how the French Toast is not available in both directions on some trains, so now they have menus to reflect this. This is a good thing, IMO.
If it's not a mistake, then it's unnecessarily confusing. The word "eastbound" does not ever need to be associated with the CONO, which is as north-south a route as you

can get. Same with the Coast Starlight.

If it's not a mistake, then it's unnecessarily confusing. The word "eastbound" does not ever need to be associated with the CONO, which is as north-south a route as you

can get. Same with the Coast Starlight.
So, should they have said Odd Number Train and Even Number Train?

If I were heading north on the CONO or the CS, then I hope I would know to look at the Eastbound/Northbound and not the Westbound/Southbound.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, should they have said Odd Number Train and Even Number Train?

If I were heading north on the CONO or the CS, then I hope I would know to look at the Eastbound/Northbound and not the Westbound/Southbound.
I guess I don't really understand your point. If you look at the Amtrak Menu website, you see a list of menus for some of the trains in the Amtrak system.

There are specific links for certain trains: For example, there is a link for "City of New Orleans Dining Car Eastbound/Northbound." Same for Coast Starlight,

Zephyrs, etc.

What I'm simply saying is that it is unnecessarily confusing to have a link that says "City of New Orleans Dining Car Eastbound/Northbound" when there

is no such thing as an "eastbound" CONO.

It would be different if they simply had two menus for the entire system, one that said "Eastbound/Northbound" and one that said "Westbound/Southbound."

But when you have specific links for specific trains, there is no need to include directions that don't exist. I think it's poor web design, but that's just my 2 cents.

I can figure out what Amtrak means by "City of New Orleans Dining Car Eastbound/Northbound" but I wonder what the menu is for the Southbound CONO. I am not concerned about the Westbound train :)

Good point...a couple of trains only have one menu listed even though it's stated to be a directional menu.

Still...I'm sort of hitting my head on the table right now. I was really looking forward to crabcakes on the Cap again. They were good last time. It may just be me, but the menu changes are a hair frustrating. It's looking like I may be eating lots of steaks en route...

(Then again, there are much bigger things to complain about)

Ok, I now see that they don't have all of the menus posted on the "Menus at a glance" page, but they do have both menus listed on the route pages.

That looks like an unfinished page that got published by mistake.

There's also only one menu listed for the Eastbound/Northbound
mosking.gif
trains - no rotating choice.

I posted on Amtrak's FB page, we'll see if there's a response.

Ok, I now see that they don't have all of the menus posted on the "Menus at a glance" page, but they do have both menus listed on the route pages.
Sure enough. Kinda dumb to not list all the menus on the menu page.
Well, it does say "at a glance", which to me means a sampling, but I agree since they are different...which is another good reason to give them different names (Eb/Nb - Wb/Sb).

On my just completed "Short" trip to PHL for NTD via PHL/Florida and Maine :D , all of the Trains I rode had "New" Menus even though what was Listed was Exactly the Same as the "Old Menus"! In the case of the Texas Eagles, a New Healthy Choice item (Pork Tenderloin with Spinach and Choice of Starch/Excellent! :wub: ) was added. Everything else was exactly the same! The LSA told me that the CHI Commisary shorted them on the Cuban Sandwiches on the Lunch Menu, and on Steaks! On the Silver Trains, pennyk had posted that each Meal had a Seperate Menu but both Trains to/from Florida had a Nice Laminated Menu with all Three Meals Listed!

In the new 8400 Diner on the Lake Shore, the LSA didnt even put out Menus, he verbally told everyone what was available and what it cost in the case of Coach pax! :cool: Best Meals and ambiance that I have ever had on an Amtrak Train! :wub:

That looks like an unfinished page that got published by mistake.

There's also only one menu listed for the Eastbound/Northbound
mosking.gif
trains - no rotating choice.

I posted on Amtrak's FB page, we'll see if there's a response.
I think they may be updating things one page at a time. Earlier today I couldn't access the CL's menu from it's route page, but now I can...and it is a new menu. No crabcakes, but now French Toast instead of pancakes.

I noticed a potentially major typo on the southbound CONO Menu where they describe MAYLAND Crab Cakes; I'm strongly guessing that should be MARYLAND! I wonder if this made it through to the actual printed Menu?

printman2000 said:
1337708039[/url]' post='368788']
AmtrakBlue said:
1337707918[/url]' post='368787']
printman2000 said:
1337707115[/url]' post='368779']Yeah, that is messed up.

So I am on the CZ WESTBOUND, what menu should I look at? The National?
The CZ's Westbound/Southbound...no French Toast for you . :blush:
I may very well be missing it, but I do not see a listing for the CZ Westbound/Southbound.
That's because the CZ goes SOUTHBOUND between SLC and Helper (UT) and beyond at mealtime!
laugh.gif

So can anyone recommend a good diner choice on the southwest chief ?

I really enjoy the Roast Duck when they have it.
Not to mention a few Adult Beverages!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (and I know you always save room for a Lamb Dip @ Phillipes!!! :wub: )
Adult beverages - you bet, the Lamb Dip part is just piling it on :lol: now i'm jonesing for one. :help: Thanks :lol:

I really enjoy the Roast Duck when they have it.
is the steak any good ?
Yes, the steak is good, and it is my default selection when the duck is off the menu. Currently it seems to be a strip steak, although a couple of months ago on a trip they had the flat iron steak, an old favorite of mine, as long as isn't the braised version.

Yes, the steak is good, and it is my default selection when the duck is off the menu. Currently it seems to be a strip steak, although a couple of months ago on a trip they had the flat iron steak, an old favorite of mine, as long as isn't the braised version.
Agreed, except when you get a chef who cooks it wrong. Even then, not bad, but can get tough when overcooked.

The braised stuff they did a couple of years ago was not so good. Tasted like pot roast to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back