New Orleans Hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I'm thinking of taking a trip from Greensboro to Houston via New Orleans. I've never done the Crescent or the Sunset east of Houston, so I thought it would be a good chance. So I really am looking for something cheap to stay at in NOL. I'm really tight on cash so I don't want to spend alot. Anyone do this connection before?

Also I for need checked bags service. The current timtable says Houston does not have checked bags. I think this is a misprint because it also says SAS doesn't have it nor they both have a ticketing location. The website says they both do. This is correct right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of taking a trip from Greensboro to Houston via New Orleans. I've never done the Crescent or the Sunset east of Houston, so I thought it would be a good chance. So I really am looking for something cheap to stay at in NOL. I'm really tight on cash so I don't want to spend alot. Anyone do this connection before?
Also I for need checked bags service. The current timtable says Houston does not have checked bags. I think this is a misprint because it also says SAS doesn't have it nor they both have a ticketing location. The website says they both do. This is correct right?

My (current) timetable says it does. No redcap though. (See page 15 in mine)

I have done this connection through New Orleans many times, but only the Westbound to Houston. As I recall, you can check bags in NOL on the Sunset going to Houston.

As for hotels in NOL, it is very possible to get a decent room for about $60.00 right in the French Quarter if that's where you want to be. I got a room for $60.00 at the Days Inn on Canal Street using Hotels.Com on my last trip there. There are many hotels to choose from, depending on which area you want to stay in.

I always opt to stay in the French Quarter.

There is also a Holiday Inn very near the Amtrak station, which is reasonably priced.

Bill B)

Saxman,when are you planning to go to Houston? I am thinking about going from Greensboro to Houston round trip in July this year. Last time I checked the round trip for the days I was considering was 320$. The one thing I hate about this trip is trying to cordinate with a train that runs tri-weekly,LOL. The main reason I am planning this trip is I want to ride the Sunset Limited.

I would highly recommend the Country Inn & Suites New Orleans.

It's a short cab ride from the station... I stayed there in March 2006. It survived the hurricane and was running fine even back then. Heck, you could even walk it if from the NOL station... IF you felt like a long stroll. (beward panhandlers around the station though!) It's definetly within walking distance from the French Quarter. It's safe and very nice inside.

And just a couple of blocks from the NOL station, if I remember correctly, is the Holiday Inn, with a 150-foot-high mural of a clarinet painted vertically on the side of the building. When Wendy and I were in NOL we arrived in the morning on Sunset and departed late that same night by Sunset, so we never did check out any of the hotels (sorry) but I certainly remember that clarinet!! We sure wish Sunset would start back up between NOL and ORL so we could do it again sometime!

Saxman,when are you planning to go to Houston? I am thinking about going from Greensboro to Houston round trip in July this year. Last time I checked the round trip for the days I was considering was 320$. The one thing I hate about this trip is trying to cordinate with a train that runs tri-weekly,LOL. The main reason I am planning this trip is I want to ride the Sunset Limited.
I am going Mar. 11th. A week from today actually. It was $170 one way, with NARP discount.

I have done this connection through New Orleans many times, but only the Westbound to Houston. As I recall, you can check bags in NOL on the Sunset going to Houston. As for hotels in NOL, it is very possible to get a decent room for about $60.00 right in the French Quarter if that's where you want to be. I got a room for $60.00 at the Days Inn on Canal Street using Hotels.Com on my last trip there. There are many hotels to choose from, depending on which area you want to stay in.

I always opt to stay in the French Quarter.

There is also a Holiday Inn very near the Amtrak station, which is reasonably priced.

Bill B)
I stayed at the Days Inn on Canal a couple of years ago. The rooms were in a serious state of disrepair at that time. Maybe they're better now.

If you happen to pass through on the weekend, try the Marriott hotels such as courtyard, towneplace suites, etc. They sometimes hve good rates. Also, check tripadvisor website to get a review of any hotel that you plan to stay in. Then you can avoid unpleasant situations.

Have you tried Sidestep.com? Google it now. It quickly browses all of the other travel sites such as hotels.com, expedia, etc. I discovered it a couple of weeks ago and have found the best rates for lodging everywhere that I needed. Be sure to visit the Cafe du monde for coffee and beignet.

We are from Baton Rouge and travelled to New Orleans for a Mardi Gras ball. I THOUGHT I had reservations at the huge Marriott on Canal Street (acquired by Marriott points) but instead the reservation was at the J.W. Marriott right across the street on Canal and easy walking distance to the French Quarter and many fine restaurants. We were extremly satisfied with the guest accomodations at our "accidental" hotel. There is a Don Shula Steakhouse on the lobby floor. We have yet to find a better $10 room service hamburger served with the works including miniature bottles of Heinz ketchup and mustard. As far as rates go we did not check as we only had to pay for parking~ a steep $27 a night. The French Quarter and Canal area look much the same as pre-Katrina.

I reccomend the Best Western St Christopher Hotel on Magazine Street.close to Amtrak free

continental breakfast in the morning and very nice rooms.And the rates are not bad i was there

in January of this year.Also i have stayed at the country inn & Suites. It is a collection of 7 old

buildings made into a hotel.Very nice hotel, Staff goes out of their way to help you but when i

stayed there the rates were high.

I will be staying in NOL July 6, 7 & 8 for the Essence Music festival. It was in Houston last summer but I understand from friends who went there, it was not as good..No place to go after 12 midnight. A much needed money event for NOL.

i"ll be coming in on CONO #59 from Memphis on July 6. I'll be hearing a lot of blues, jazz, and eating very well that weekend. Able to get a place on the quarter for my stay. Lots of hotel space going fast for July6-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back