New person here, and ready to talk about BOA reward points!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BALtoNYPtraveler

Train Attendant
Took me a few tries to get registered. There seemed to be some glitches. But never mind, I'm here now!

Only joined Amtrak.com and Amtrak Guest Rewards a few weeks ago. I am impressed so far. Every time I call, I talk to a person and they are very helpful. They've even called me back twice in a row just to get some details straight. (I had some complications while registering for that, too, but it's all fine now.) In fact, they have retroactively added points, because I registered AFTER buying my tickets, and my son also created an account (we have a family of older teens) and they researched and added points from the trip he and I took to his account.

But anyway, I was fortunate enough to get the BOA card, and just yesterday my first statement cut. I had already spent more than $2,000 just before the statement. Does anyone know how often they apply points to the AGR?

Also, I bought tickets just the other day with the card. I can't wait to see all the points roll in.

This looks like a great forum!

One more weird thing I would like to add, in case anyone else has already used their BOA card to book tickets, and has already seen their statement. I just got a first glimpse of the statement right now, and I booked two sets of round trip tickets already for later in the fall and winter.

What's weird is that each line item on the BOA card statement says "one way." I double checked on the Amtrak site and I did book round trip for each of those trips. Very strange that BOA described it as one-way. I may call them to ask. Anyone else seen this on their statement?

It actually is booked as 2 one way trips. A round trip ticket (example costing $180) is actually 2 tickets from A to B and B to A that costs $90 each! There is no discount on a round trip.

When the card was issued by Chase, they posted it the same way.

My BoA points posted to my AGR account the day the statement dropped (Wednesday of this week). Others' have, too- if yours haven't, I would contact BofA first, to be sure they've got your AGR# correct. I haven't quite made the minimum spend yet for the sign-up bonus, but others who have got the bonus already, too.

My BofA Statement was 10/7 and my BOA points were applied to my AGR account on 10/8 including my 12,000 bonus points. I actually took two short trips on the Illini/Saluki trains in Illinois on 10/5 and 10/6 and Amtrak has not posted my points for those trips as of tonight 10/9. Amtrak does say to allow 7 days for the points to post before filling out a missing trips report. If you are wondering, the Amtrak earned AGR points do not post until you actually complete the trip while the credit card earned points post after the credit card statement is issued. As an example, my BOA statement included paid travel that I will do in January and my AGR points from the credit card posted this week while I will not earn the Amtrak earned AGR points until January when I actually travel on the trains. I really did not pay any attention to how the trips were listed on my statement since I mainly verify the $$ amount for each line item which were correct.

What a great site. THanks for the replies. I just looked at my BOA card statement and it's marked Sept 9 - Oct 8, so either they do the statements over the same few days or many of us applied for and received the cards at around the same time, so we're on similar billing cycles.

I see now, scrolling down, that there's a box with point information (you have to look at the actual PDF, which is what the printed statement would look like if you got it in the mail.) My member number is there, and a whole lot of points. I tried to figure them out, based on their stated formula (3 points per dollar spent on Amtrak travel, 1 point per dollar spent elsewhere; I did no "other travel" so that's N/A.) I couldn't figure it out, but it's a lot of points so I won't question it. In case anyone is bored and wants to do the math, it looks like this: (I assume 20,000 is the bonus for spending the required $1K within 90 days of opening)

AGR member number _______________

2,400 purchase points

21,418 promotion points

23,818 total points earned

And the detail for my spending was as follows: $79 for annual fee, $709 on tickets, $1,690.83 other.

Just checked the AGR site and those points are not added yet; I'll give it a few days before inquiring about it.

By the way, you guys raised an interesting point. On AGR, points don't show up until travel is completed. But with the BOA card, points are on your next statement as soon as you pay, even if the trip booked is months away. Also, on AGR, points can only be given for the specific member. To wit, each of my other family members have their own AGR accounts now, because as a representative told me, I can't get points for their travel even if I buy their tickets and they travel with me. Either they get points for their own travel, on their own account (and people can gift points to each other) or no one gets points for their travel. However, on BOA, I just paid for tickets for myself and three other family members, and I get BOA points for having done that.

I like this AGR program - they really reeled me in. For one thing, there are double points sometimes (like now) and also, I get points for travel AND I get points for having paid for travel with BOA, and they add all those points together. Does all this, and the above, sound right? I am just learning but I sure do like it.

Tennessee, please let me know when your points post. I have some from September that still haven't posted to AGR - and my account says to allow 21 days. I posted elsewhere asking about others current "wait time" but I haven't seen a response.

You can always call and ask. I've found the representatives to be very helpful. My points posted nearly two weeks after traveling, but I had some unique problems in between. 1. I booked travel and THEN joined amtrak.com and AGR. I called and asked about this and they attached my AGR number to the reservations. 2. Later I had to get a different AGR number due to a glitch that was no one's fault (but let it be a cautionary tale to anyone reading.) I used one email address for Amtrak and another for BOA which caused mass confusion. They have to be the same. The representatives and I worked it out so that I could use the same email address I had used for BOA for my AGR account, but this resulted in my AGR number being changed.

I know this story doesn't relate to you, but maybe it can help someone. After a week or so I called for some other reason but mentioned that my points had not come through. The representative looked it up, saw that my old defunct AGR number was attached; she updated it. I would have waited forever for the points, otherwise. Always good to call if you think there's a problem.

End of the story is that it took just under two weeks for points to show up, even with all that confusion. So if you think it's been too long, just call them up with the reservation number and you AGR number in hand to get a status update.

publife, if you are referring to Chase cc points, my mid September billing statement points posted Sept. 18. If you are referring to the $99 yet to be billed on Chase cc, I'll let you know when they post. My billing date is around mid October probably 10/16. If you are referring the Amtrak travel I actually did October 5 and 6, they have not posted as of today Oct. 12. If you are interested I'll let you know when they post. Allowing seven days before requesting missing points would be this Wednesday October 14.

The points from my new BOA card (statement closed on the 8th) posted this morning. Combined with $3K (yikes) worth of purchasing, some for Amtrak tickets but most not, and combined with 1,500 or so points I already had for double point tickets from a recent trip, I have over 25,000 points now! I'm love this reward program. They have totally reeled me in. I'm a fanatic. ;)

Here's a question, though: The farther into the future I book tickets, the more likely I'll have to reschedule them when the time gets closer. Unfortunately, I sometimes have unforeseen things come up that make me have to change plans, even if only for one week later. If I use points to book tickets, and then I have to reschedule, will I lose those points?

This program reminds me a lot of a clothing store rewards program, although of course this is on a larger scale. A well-known clothing store gives out lots of points for using their card and even more so for purchasing at their store. The result is physical or electronic vouchers that can be used when purchasing clothing, and it really adds up - I have gotten plenty of totally free items. But in the event I order something online, and it doesn't fit, I can take it back for a refund, but if it was purchased with points, the points are gone forever - they are considered a "one-time credit." Use it and it's gone. I hope Amtrak points do not work the same way. Has anyone used points for a free trip and then had to reschedule?

Also, can a "free trip" (example: A one-way from Baltimore to New York or vice versa) be scheduled for anytime with the points, or must it be booked way in advance because they'd rather give out the lower price if it's going to be free of charge? I would imagine they wouldn't give out a free trip if you just walk in to the station and demand a ticket right now, or even schedule one at home for tomorrow. Thanks for any enlightenment.

BALTtoNYPtraveler: Welcome aboard!

The New AGR2.0 begins Jan.24,2016. Until then it operates under the current rules which include a Zone/Set # of Points System with No Penalty for Modification or Cancellation of your Reservation if done before departure. If you do cancel, all of the points will be returned to your account!

After 01/24/16 if you modify or Cancel your AGR Reservation you will be charged a 10% Point Penalty and a 20% Penalty if done less than 24 Hours before Departure.(Select Executive Members are expemt)

The New AGR2.0 will be Fare Based, so whatever the Buckets are when you book your trip, you will be charged the # of points based on what the Fare is, similar to some airline systems.

Please log onto the AGR Website for a Preview of the Highlites released so far!( there are more to come)

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get your points back if you cancel. Right now you'd get them all back (as I just did last week). But with the new program, there are penalties, I believe.

Plus if you book now but rebook after Jan 24, you'll have to "pay" with the new "cost", not the zone "cost".

Thanks, Bob Dylan and AmtrakBlue! I was aware that a new program starts in late January. I wish they would just start it now so I would not have to get used to one program and then learn another, but I'm sure they need time (and everyone needs time) to prepare for such a big change.

I'll start reading up on it. It does sound like the new program will be less clunky, especially for those dealing with zone issues (which, thankfully, aren't a problem for me, but it sounds like an unnecessary complication.)

After 01/24/16 if you modify or Cancel your AGR Reservation you will be charged a 10% Point Penalty ( exempt if you're Select Executive) and a 20% Penalty if done less than 24 Hours before Departure.

The New AGR2.0 will be Fare Based, so whatever the Buckets are when you book your trip, you will be charged the # of points based on what the Fare is, similar to the airline system.

One correction: the initial 10% point penalty for changes and cancellations applies to everyone. A second 10% penalty applies to close-in changes - within 14 days for sleeper, within 24 hours for all other travel. The "close-in" penalty is waived for Select Executive, but the initial 10% penalty is not.

Some airline redemption systems are based on the trip fare, but most are still geography based.

Yes, the airline award systems that I am familiar with are all zone+class of travel based redemption, not fare value based. But then the zones are either entire continent or large chunk of an extremely large continent (Asia), and also tend to have a requirement that you must be traveling in a single direction and not looping around..

Back