New York or Washington for overnight and connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to travel to either NYP or WAS in order to travel from WOR to ORL without having to go all the way to CHI. If I do this, I have to stay overnight for the connection. Which city is safer for a disabled older woman at night? Also which has hotels close to the station that are reasonably priced.

Nothing personal against NYC, but hotels can be expensive and many subway stops are not handicapped accessible. WAS only if you go when Congress is not in session. However, METRO stops at Union Station, so you can get to other parts of the area - including to National Airport, which has many hotels nearby.

Another possibility is taking MBTA from WOR to BOS (since the LSL may or may not get to BOS in time) and take 67 south and/or 66 north and sleep on the train. No hotel needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess WAS for cost, and probably NYP for safety. Is it possible to lay over in Philadelphia or Trenton? May be a decent compromise. I know you can't take the train from WOR to those places with one seat, but with a change over to a regional or maybe even a commuter train, it may work. In fact, you can take the Lake Shore Limited from Worchester to Springfield and then the Vermonter to Trenton, NJ with only a 40 minute layover. That's not bad - a total of about 7 1/2 hours on the train the first day, then a decent motel within 2 miles for under $100 less than two miles away (Comfort Inn Morrisville - 2 miles away, or Lafayette Yard Hotel - only about 1/2 mile away). Arrive at 7:30ish PM. Next day, board at Noon for the Silver Star, get home around 10:17 AM or wait 'til 4:30 and take the faster Meteor home and get home around 1 PM.

I don't think safely should be too much to worry about - a quick cab ride, station to hotel. Looking at the reviews, the Comfort Inn in Morrisville seems to be the winner. Also, as a Choice Priviledges hotel, you can get AGR points there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing personal against NYC, but hotels can be expensive and many subway stops are not handicapped accessible. WAS only if you go when Congress is not in session. However, METRO stops at Union Station, so you can get to other parts of the area - including to National Airport, which has many hotels nearby.

Another possibility is taking MBTA from WOR to BOS (since the LSL may or may not get to BOS in time) and take 67 south and/or 66 north and sleep on the train. No hotel needed.
I did not even think about going into BOS, I guess that is why I asked here.

I think both cities are reasonably safe, but I think it just depends on what you are looking for.

I WAS would be a little easier to get around as I personally find the metro to be a little nicer and cleaner than the NYC subway system.

That being said, I'm not sure that you will find an inexpensive hotel that close to either station. I would guess you might have better luck in WAS. If you want to provide dates, I would be happy to help you look. Personally I love the Kimpton Eventi in NYC, it's just two blocks from Penn Station but it is $$$$$$.

I am not sure how easy it would be for you to walk two blocks, though, with luggage.

If you are trying to go to ORL as your final destination, you can leave BOS on the regional at 9:30 AM and do a same day connection to the Silver Meteor to Orlando.

The commuter rail departs WOR at 7 am, arrives BOS at 8:28 AM. That would give you plenty of time to make the connection to the south bound regional.

If you are feeling really daring you could even take the commuter rail a little later - leaving WOR at 7:30 and arriving BOS at 9:03 AM. (weekdays only).

If you are trying to go to ORL as your final destination, you can leave BOS on the regional at 9:30 AM and do a same day connection to the Silver Meteor to Orlando.

The commuter rail departs WOR at 7 am, arrives BOS at 8:28 AM. That would give you plenty of time to make the connection to the south bound regional.

If you are feeling really daring you could even take the commuter rail a little later - leaving WOR at 7:30 and arriving BOS at 9:03 AM. (weekdays only).
Thanks, this would work, I would probably take the 7am to make sure I was in South Station with time to spare in case the rail runs late.

In winter time, I would play the odds and stay in the southern-most city possible for the overnight, which leads me to Washington, D.C., or even Alexandria, VA, where the Metro station is adjacent to the Amtrak station and large chain hotels are one block east of both.

Thanks, this would work, I would probably take the 7am to make sure I was in South Station with time to spare in case the rail runs late.
I imagine its considerably cheaper to pay the $10 MBTA commuter rail fare from WOR - BOS than an overnight in NYP or WAS. :)

Hi,

I stayed twice at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York, it is directly opposite NYP station. Not knowing when you are travelling, I checked a random midweek date in March 2014, and that gave a price of $129... As a former railroad hotel, I have a soft spot for this massive hotel, even if it has seen better days!

Bon Voyage!

Ed. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back