News on daily Sunset (incl older east of NOL discussion)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was "endpoints served as of 2008" if I remember correctly, which shuts out Houston. But as I say, this restriction is strictly for trains receiving federal subsidy; if Amtrak can get any operating deficit funded by states or cities, anything's possible.
Well no LD train was shut down since 2008 that I'm aware of so that would basically limit to the current endpoints of LD trains. And the extension of the CONO to ORL wouldn't qualify (they'd have to extend it to MIA).

Of course if states chip in, anything is possible.

It was "endpoints served as of 2008" if I remember correctly, which shuts out Houston. But as I say, this restriction is strictly for trains receiving federal subsidy; if Amtrak can get any operating deficit funded by states or cities, anything's possible.
Well no LD train was shut down since 2008 that I'm aware of so that would basically limit to the current endpoints of LD trains. And the extension of the CONO to ORL wouldn't qualify (they'd have to extend it to MIA).

Of course if states chip in, anything is possible.
Orlando is an endpoint for both the SL (which is merely "suspended") and the Auto Train. Though I certainly wouldn't be opposed to NOL-MIA service.

It was "endpoints served as of 2008" if I remember correctly, which shuts out Houston. ...
If we're drawing dream lines on a map, and we want Houston, just keep going to San Antonio in one direction or New Orleans in the other. Not really too restrictive.

I don't see any 2008 "endpoints" as close to Atlanta and those cities are to H'town. But there are so many problems with ATL that one problem more doesn't make much difference.

Since we're on this subject, I'm curious as to why the Sunset was cut back from Miami to Sanford (later it's terminus was extended to Orlando) in the first place? Was the ridership for it to go further south not there or did I just answer my own question?

New temporary schedules for the Sunset and the Eagle have been posted on amtrak.com. The eastbound departure from LA moves up from 10 p.m. to 4 p.m. (Which totally messes up the arrival times in Phoenix and Tucson, so this is gonna hurt ridership.)

Then in March, the present schedule will be restored.

Anybody know what's going on?

Track work. I love the new schedule personally. Took it this past Friday to Palm Springs for dinner.

Amtrak press release, 25 Jan, with the Gulf Coast inspection train schedule, 18-19 February.

Apparently there may be a ray of hope for restoration of the SL, or extension of the CONO, or restoration of the Gulf Coast Limited, or something new. Keep your fingers, toes, and anything you have handy, crossed.

Thursday Feb. 18:

• New Orleans, 8:45 a.m.
  • Bay St. Louis, 10:20 a.m.;
  • Gulfport, 11:00 a.m.;
  • Biloxi, 11:31 a.m.;
  • Pascagoula, 12:16 p.m.
  • Mobile, 1:25 p.m.;
  • Atmore, 2:41 p.m.
Friday Feb. 19:

• Pensacola, 8:00 a.m.;
  • Crestview, 9:20 a.m.;
  • Chipley, 11:00 a.m.;
  • Tallahassee 2:47 p.m.;
  • Madison, 4:24 p.m.;
  • Lake City, 5:35 p.m.;
  • Jacksonville at 7:15 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the schedule for the special. I am sure NARP will not mind dissemination of this information widely. The document in the photo of course is © NARP.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1455467217.287185.jpg

If you can make it to any of these stops, please do try to down up to show support. I will be at Jacksonville.

Any idea which 19 Beech Grove is deadheading south on?
19(16) will have the rest of the equipment that needs to make it down there.

If you can make it to any of these stops, please do try to down up to show support. I will be at Jacksonville.
Ooooo. You'll be in an ideal spot to capture footage. If you're not too busy, stay behind and watch/record them drill the inbound special for the trip back. I eyeballed the plan and it definitely looks like it is worth the time.

Here is the schedule for the special. ... The document in the photo of course is © NARP.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1455467217.287185.jpg

If you can make it to any of these stops, please do try to [show] up to [give] support. I will be at Jacksonville.
I would if I could but I can't. Thank you for making the effort and representing for those of us who can't.

There is a 2/12 article from Atlanta's NPR station WABE entitled "Amtrak considering One New And One Old Southern Route". Sorry, I've never worked out how to get links into these posts.

The old route refers to the former SL East line and the inspection train.

The new is a daily Atlanta-Dallas train that apparently would bypass New Orleans and be more direct. It doesn't sound exactly eminent, more like "someday": the Amtrak spokesman says "eventually" they want to do more research on it. I haven't heard that route being talked about before, although I'm not as up on the planning as some of this board's veterans are.

There is a 2/12 article from Atlanta's NPR station WABE entitled "Amtrak considering One New And One Old Southern Route". Sorry, I've never worked out how to get links into these posts.

The old route refers to the former SL East line and the inspection train.

The new is a daily Atlanta-Dallas train that apparently would bypass New Orleans and be more direct. It doesn't sound exactly eminent, more like "someday": the Amtrak spokesman says "eventually" they want to do more research on it. I haven't heard that route being talked about before, although I'm not as up on the planning as some of this board's veterans are.
http://news.wabe.org/post/amtrak-considering-one-new-and-one-old-southern-route

A Dallas-Shreveport line was proposed a few years ago, and then an extended version from Dallas-Jackson was proposed a year or two later; presumably Dallas-Atlanta is a further-extended version of the same thing. It would most certainly require a new Atlanta station, but apart from that Dallas-Atlanta is easy. From Dallas to Jackson would require stations at Shreveport (or Bossier City) and Vicksburg. And of course new rolling stock, locomotives, and agreement with KCS would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back