No Car Towns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Dave

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings All!

My wife suggested that we take 4 or 5 days to get away to a town along an Amtrak route that the destination would not require a car. We can leave from either NYP or PHL but are looking for a location that we would not need a car to get around.

Overnight on the train would be okay. But do you know of any towns/cities where we could basically walk from the train station to a hotel and historic/attraction sites? I've suggested Charleston SC and Savannah GA but have no clue as to if we could do that without a car.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Blessings!!

Dave

Two that come to mind without thinking too much -- Alexandria, VA and New Orleans. There's a Hilton literally across the street in Alexandria and the King Street Metro is next door to the Amtrak station. DC's Metro system will get you to plenty of places to keep you busy for four or five days.

New Orleans could be a little different. The Amtrak station is next to the Super Dome. You could walk to many of the hotels along Canal Street but might not want to schlepp luggage so a cab might help. Once you are checked in, you don't need a car, don't want a car.

Union Station in DC would be the same kind of deal. Cab to a hotel, then you're good to go.

Of course, Washington DC and Chicago are obvious choices because of their extensive subway, El systems.

San Diego and San Francisco are others but they are a longer distance away that you have indicated you wanted to travel from Pa.

Cleveland has many interesting sites within the downtown area, and the bus system is rather extensive to get you to museums in the University Square area. (Although I would not travel at night on the buses around CLE.) A Rapid train does stop near the CLE Amtrak station to get you into downtown. Science Museum and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are near 9th Street Pier. The Rapid also travels east and out to the airport.

Indianapolis has many interesting museums, including a Children's Museum, in the downtown area but would require some walking or bus rides as well.

If you are not looking for a large city, may I suggest Staunton, Virginia? It is a stop on the Cardinal and Staunton station is right down town where there are a few bed and breakfasts as well as small, european style hotels and a large hotel and conference center which is a restored hotel from the Roaring 20's. There are great restaurants and plenty of things to do all downtown including Blackfriars Theatre, a theatre modeled after the original with a very good Shakespeare troupe, Woodrow Wilson Birthplace and Presidential Library, historic Thornrose cemetary, just to name a few.

I encourage you to google information about it and consider it. Staunton takes great pride in restoring and maintaining it's Victorian facade and was once a very busy rail station with an opera house nearby.

A Rapid train does stop near the CLE Amtrak station to get you into downtown. Science Museum and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are near 9th Street Pier. The Rapid also travels east and out to the airport.
The only problem is that those rapid trains don't run at the times that Amtrak arrives into Cleveland. For that matter, the Rapid only runs on Saturday's and Sunday's and with very limited service too.

I just took the train STP-SAV, got a $12 cab to Days Inn Hotel (not your average Days inn Motel) in the heart of the historic district. One day I did the trolley tour, Day 2 - the ferry boat & Train Museum tour. Day 3- River Boat Lunch Cruise. Very nice relaxing trip. All within walking distance, & I have trouble walking! ( Relaxing(?) I never slowed down, LOL).

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea for a thread -- I was thinking of starting something similar. If we allow for cabs then you could easily do San Antonio's River Walk as well, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it out of all the far more interesting locations Amtrak can reach.

If you're specifically looking to walk from the Amtrak depot to hotel accommodations, neither Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA fit the bill. Both would require a taxi (or in the case of CHS, I've used a shared shuttle arranged on arrival) to proceed to the downtown historic districts. From there on, either will make for an outstanding experience.

With SAV being my primary Amtrak station, I have never seen the depot without available taxis during an arrival, regardless of whether it's for the Star, Meteor, or Palmetto, on time or not. Even if the location seems to be out in the middle of nowhere, it is not far from the historic district, just not walkable.

For Charleston, your hotel may have shuttle service available, since the Amtrak depot is not far from the airport. You may want to see if this is an option.

My wife suggested that we take 4 or 5 days to get away to a town along an Amtrak route that the destination would not require a car. We can leave from either NYP or PHL but are looking for a location that we would not need a car to get around.
Take a Silver (#91 or #97) from either NYP or PHL to ORL (Orlando).

Just about every hotel around Orlando has free shuttles, plus if you are on International Drive, there is a trolley bus that runs that route.

Just about every hotel around Orlando has free shuttles, plus if you are on International Drive, there is a trolley bus that runs that route.
Really? I didn't see any shuttles or trolleys when we arrived on the northbound Silver Meteor. We ended up renting a car and had to drive a fair distance to reach a hotel that wasn't too far from the Disney parks. Seems like quite a drive for a hotel shuttle.

I've traveled to numerous cities in 38 states and my vote for the cities to visit where a car is not at all necessary would be

1. New orleans French Quarter- everything is within walking distance and if you venture further the trolleys are convenient. You can also take the ferry across the Mississippi to Algiers. Allow at least three days to see everything in the French Quarter. Culture. great food, 4 star hotels, historic sites, a large Aquarium, a Mardi Gras Museum and more.

2.Chicago. a city easy to get around in as there is mass transit everywhere. At worse you might need a cab every now and then. There are many fantastic museums to see there and great food is available especially in Greektown (nr Union Station).

Possible third

Staunton VA is a small town and just enough to see and do for perhaps 1 1/2 days.

Savannah GA. is interesting and in 2 days you could cover it. There is a nice RR museum there and the warehouse district by the waterfront offers decent food, drink and boat rides. Paula Deens restaurant called the Lady and sons is popular there.

Washinton DC- There is lots to see and do in Washington DC but everything in center city closes up at 5 PM. if you want night life you will need to take a cab or the Circular Bus to Georgetown about a 15 minute ride. The Circular bus stops upstairs at Union Station.

Really? I didn't see any shuttles or trolleys when we arrived on the northbound Silver Meteor. We ended up renting a car and had to drive a fair distance to reach a hotel that wasn't too far from the Disney parks. Seems like quite a drive for a hotel shuttle.
I would not consider Orlando a "no car town." There are "shuttles" at the Amtrak station that will take you to the tourist areas, but they are not free. There are no hotels walking distance from the station. However, from Winter Park (the stop 5 miles north), there is a very nice hotel that is walking distance from the train station.

I also believe that Dave has been to Orlando numerous times and maybe he wants to try out another city.

I would not consider Orlando a "no car town." There are "shuttles" at the Amtrak station that will take you to the tourist areas, but they are not free. There are no hotels walking distance from the station. However, from Winter Park (the stop 5 miles north), there is a very nice hotel that is walking distance from the train station.

I also believe that Dave has been to Orlando numerous times and maybe he wants to try out another city.
We're in the Orlando area every winter for a couple of weeks - with a vehicle.

Everyone has made great suggestions making my decision more difficult :blink: My mom liked Staunton VA because she thinks we could visit the Statler Brothers :wacko: I told her I already called them and they would be out of town.

Looks like there is lots of possibilities for our excursion.

Dave

Toronto has excellent public transportation and Union Station is on the subway.

Toronto and Montreal would be fabulous choices -- both accessible by day's end from NYP.

However, from Winter Park (the stop 5 miles north), there is a very nice hotel that is walking distance from the train station.
Which hotel in Winter Park? I've thought of going there sometime, the area around the station looks very "Old Florida" retro-neat on google maps.

Staunton is certainly nice - as is neighboring Augusta County (my favorite county in all of Virginia), and it's a nice ride to Staunton on the Cardinal. Also - two stops beyond Staunton is White Sulfur Springs, WV and the Greenbriar Hotel. The hotel is directly across from the quaint C & O station, but don't bother walking - they will pick you up in a limo. Just tell them you are arriving by train. They will also take you back to the station when you check out. The Greenbriar Resort has about everything you could need for a relaxing 3 or 4 day stay. Just a bit expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, from Winter Park (the stop 5 miles north), there is a very nice hotel that is walking distance from the train station.
Which hotel in Winter Park? I've thought of going there sometime, the area around the station looks very "Old Florida" retro-neat on google maps.
Park Plaza Hotel on Park Avenue in Winter Park.

A bunch of excellent suggestions for sure! I ve been to all of the cities mentioned, fortunate me, and I'll second New Orleans, Montreal and Toronto for sure, can't go wrong but the Canadian cities get really cold this time of year so going South could be the best bet! Decisions, decisions, but nice ones! ;) Jim

I'll second the suggestion you look at Staunton, Va., for all the reasons mentioned above.

Rutland, VT is a good one. The station is right in town and there is a great local bus system that can take you up to the ski resorts.

Montreal. You can't do better than that.
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. My brother and I actually did a no car trip to Montreal back in the late 1990's - a beautiful city it is!

My wife and I will research everyone's suggested destinations and will let you know what we ultimately decide on.

I would also endorse Alexandria VA. Earlier this year my wife and I spent two no-car weekends there. Many good restaurants in Alexandria, some interesting historical sites, and D.C. is just a metro ride away. There are also three Kimpton boutique hotels in Alexandria, not far from the Amtrak station.

You might also consider Charlottesville VA (where I live). The Amtrak station is located midway between the lively downtown and the historic grounds of the University of Virginia. The Crescent and the Northeast Regional both offer daily service to and from New York and D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back