No more free pillows on Amtrak (coach)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't every domestic airline gotten rid of free pillows and blankets in economy class? I know that in the case of American, the motivation was mainly to free up overhead bin space.
I have read that they "loose" a lot of pillows, and those routes with a high loss, they have simply stopped replacing them. Possibly, Amtrak has the same problem, especially in coach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleepers still get a pillow? Hey I think I will pack extra little pillows.
Yes, the sleepers have regular-size pillows. They might not be as comfy as the ones at home, but I found them to be quite thick and comfortable (I'm a side sleeper).

If you sleep on your back, you might want to ask for an extra one. The sleepers were sold out on our last trip, but they still had plenty and offered everyone an extra one.

Thanks. I just added a travel pillow just in case. From now on I think I will just keep one in my suitcase.

I was actually allergic to the Amtrak pillows (I'm allergic to polyester), so I always brought my own pillows anyway.

Remember, pillows don't count against the carry-on limit on Amtrak. :)

I'm pretty sure this change came out of the PIP report. Good to see progress being made.

I was actually allergic to the Amtrak pillows (I'm allergic to polyester), so I always brought my own pillows anyway.
Remember, pillows don't count against the carry-on limit on Amtrak. :)
I always bring my own on trips, too, but that's because I'm allergic to feather pillows and down. Just the opposite. ;) Luckily, most hotels have switched to hypoallergenic (or at least give you the option to switch at the front desk).

I'm pretty sure this change came out of the PIP report. Good to see progress being made.
I looked it up and you're right. It was one of the suggestions for the Auto Train... guess they decided to apply it to all routes.

Here's the information from the FY2012 PIP:

Comfort KitsAmtrak proposes to offer Auto Train customers a Comfort kit for sale in the Lounge Car, containing a pillow and blanket. This will generate revenue, but will also improve customer perception by eliminating the sub-standard quality of the “complimentary” pillow and blankets in use today.

I've always thought that the term nickel and diming applied to things you can't do without, like pay toilets on airliners.
No, it applies to services that are discontinued without a corresponding reduction in price. When I saw the thread title, the first thing that came to mind is the airlines. Is baggage next? Coffee in sleepers? Drinks with meals?

I've always thought that the term nickel and diming applied to things you can't do without, like pay toilets on airliners.
No, it applies to services that are discontinued without a corresponding reduction in price. When I saw the thread title, the first thing that came to mind is the airlines. Is baggage next? Coffee in sleepers? Drinks with meals?
Honestly, I've never heard it defined like that. It was always "little fee here, little fee there, adds up over the course of the transaction to a lot."

Since it is labeled as a "keepsake item," I'm inclined to believe that everything in the package will have a logo.

I think just the duffle it comes in would make a nice pillow. Why unpack it?

Finally, I wonder if the revenue generated would be enough to subsidize a complimentary comfort kit for the sleeper passengers. :D

Since so many pillows get stolen and

they probably cost about 25 cents apiece and

most people bring their own pillow anyway (since the Ampillows are so tiny and useless) and

it'll save labor for the on-board employees, along with storage space

I really don't have an issues with this at all. Not one little bit. I don't see it like taking away free drinks at meals.

most people bring their own pillow anyway (since the Ampillows are so tiny and useless) and

I really don't have an issues with this at all. Not one little bit. I don't see it like taking away free drinks at meals.
Have to agree... besides, a rolled up jacket makes a better pillow than the Ampillow (maybe anything would).

Have to agree... besides, a rolled up jacket makes a better pillow than the Ampillow (maybe anything would).
A Dead Cat would likely make for a better pillow :p

I always bring my own on trips, too, but that's because I'm allergic to feather pillows and down. Just the opposite. ;) Luckily, most hotels have switched to hypoallergenic (or at least give you the option to switch at the front desk).
Unfortunately, "hypoallergenic" usually means "polyester", i.e. I'm allergic to it. So I just bring my own pillows everywhere. And usually my own sheets, too, since those are often polyester. Luckily Amtrak's sheets are cotton. :)

Unfortunately, "hypoallergenic" usually means "polyester", i.e. I'm allergic to it. So I just bring my own pillows everywhere. And usually my own sheets, too, since those are often polyester. Luckily Amtrak's sheets are cotton. :)
(I know... off-topic...)

Does this mean you can't wear polyester clothes either? It seems like everything is a poly-blend nowadays.

(I know... off-topic...)

Does this mean you can't wear polyester clothes either? It seems like everything is a poly-blend nowadays.
Yep. It's really obnoxious. Thankfully my allergy is not severe enough that I need to avoid polyester *thread* entirely, since that is absolutely *universal* even in "100% cotton" clothing.

Speaking of progress...could they use the money they'll save on pillows and upgrade their blue blankets? I have NEVER seen a piece of fabric consistently attract and conduct static electricity the way those things do--it's fairly amazing.

Speaking of progress...could they use the money they'll save on pillows and upgrade their blue blankets? I have NEVER seen a piece of fabric consistently attract and conduct static electricity the way those things do--it's fairly amazing.
I always thought it was kind of amazing, the "indoor lightning" you could get off those blankets. Even when it seemed pretty humid. Maybe they need to repurpose them to line turbines or something....

Since there's not an Ampillow to be seen on the Heartland Flyer it won't affect our little train but I'll be curious if the Travel Kits will be available in the Cafe.

Pillows should be offered on business class as that is supposed to be a premium service. Otherwise you're paying a significant premium for a guaranteed seat and a small can of soda.

In addition to the pillows that Amtrak will be offering for sale, there are many different travel pillows available. I've tried a few, but I like the idea of this one because it is supposed to fold flat and small. I've ordered one through Kickstarter, and will report after it arrives (scheduled September 2013, but Kickstarter projects are notorious for being late...just like Amtrak :) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back