No Sunset Limited SAS-HOU All January?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
I was checking HOS-DAL reservations on Amtrak site for a friend for later this week, and turns out Amtrak website is throwing up an error for the Sunset/TE combination for all days upto end of this month. This is what it says -

Problem Finding Service:

The service you requested is not available because there is no same day train connection. Please try a different route or different dates.

[Error ID: 205A]

The earliest it allows booking for is Wed 1st Feb. Has this got to do anything with UP's trackwork that is causing bus bridge between Fort Worth and Longview? Why would that disrupt Houston-San Antonio or San Antonio-Dallas schedule?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a multi city reservation. It looks like train 1022 wasn't programmed as a connection from 1.

Yup. The SSL only runs from Houston to San Antonio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I checked every MWF from today forward and I get the trip to Dallas with bussing from Fort Worth until Feb 1st. After the 1st the Texas Eagle goes all the way to Dallas.

Can we all agree that SSL either means Sightseer Lounge OR Sunset Limited? Sightseer Lounge would seem to make a lot more sense since we already have cars with accepted three letter acronyms (PPC, CCC, etc) and numerous trains that have accepted two letter acronyms (CS, CZ, EB, etc) but I'm fine either way so long as it only stands for one and not the other.

Can we all agree that SSL either means Sightseer Lounge OR Sunset Limited? Sightseer Lounge would seem to make a lot more sense since we already have cars with accepted three letter acronyms (PPC, CCC, etc) and numerous trains that have accepted two letter acronyms (CS, CZ, EB, etc) but I'm fine either way so long as it only stands for one and not the other.
Especially since "Sunset" is just one word, why does it need two letters for its abbreviation? Then again, "sightseer" is just one word, so I guess we're back to the same problem again.

Wait - you're asking us to AGREE on ANYTHING here??? Where's the fun in that? :)

It's always clear in context what it means, no?

You don't say the SSL is running late and mean a self-propelled lounge car.

You don't say the SSL was bad-ordered and mean the Sunset Limited (tho I suppose it's theoretically possible that an entire consist could be bad-ordered).

BUT in the interests of clarity, you could write SsL to mean Sightseer Lounge and SSL to mean SunSet Limited or sSl to mean sightSeer lounge and ssL to mean sunset Limited or vice versa or one and a vice vice versa for the other.

Or maybe the SSL (for Sunset Limited) could be written LSSL for Limited Sunset Limited since it's limited to three days a week.

But what do I really know? I always thought that the CCC stood for the Civilian Conservation Corps! (which might make sense to the three people on this site whose knowledge base perhaps might go back to the 1930s...)

And why stop there? Why is the LSL not the LL because lakeshore is one word? Or alternately, why isn't the CS not the CSL because even though starlight is one word, why should it be treated any differently than the SSL or SSL or LSL? And shouldn't the Cascades just be the C train? And the Pacific Surfliner the PSL?

And you, Texas Sunset, are you just TS or TSS?

Inquiring minds (with too much time) on their hands want to know.

Submitted to you without any acronymony whatsover.

>>Submitted to you without any acronymony whatsover. <<

Good one!

LSL makes sense, because that train is called the Lake Shore Limited, not Lakeshore Limited.

Guys, don't fight. Once the Sunset Limited is shelved in some time from now, there will be only one definition of SSL left.
ph34r.gif

Guys, don't fight. Once the Sunset Limited is shelved in some time from now, there will be only one definition of SSL left.
ph34r.gif
Even if this were to happen, there would still be confusion, 'cause all of us on here, that are over a certain age, have a tendancy to reminisce. :help: :help: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back