Northeast-ish Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLY

Train Attendant
Hey everyone,

Just planning a summer trip up to NYC and Connecticut and I've been trying to figure out the logistics of it while maintaining a reasonable budget. I've search different plans and I've decided that after receiving such good help here in the past, I will just post my travel plans and hope someone can come up with some varying ideas on how to execute them!

I'd love to do as much train time as possible, but a car is just inevitable I think.

I would be leaving in the afternoon from PAR to get to NYP. I plan to visit Coney Island that evening and stay the night somewhere reasonable in the NYC area. The next morning, we would leave to get to the Hartford, CT area. From what I can tell, the only train which runs to Hartford is the Vermonter (I want to avoid a shuttle).

If I travel on the 652 Keystone from PAR (4:13PM) --> NYP (6:54PM) will I be able to make it to Coney Island by 8PM?

The next morning, I can take the 56 Vermonter from NYP (11:30AM) to HFD (2:22PM) and I will be picking up a car and staying in the Hartford area for a few days.

On a Sunday, I would be returning from the Waterbury, CT area so I believe my best option is to drive to NYP from there, rather than return north to HFD. I would catch the 671 Keystone (7:15PM) and return to PAR at 9:34PM.

This is a Thursday to Sunday trip.

Do my plans look reasonable, and does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Ideas for a place to stay!

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

If I travel on the 652 Keystone from PAR (4:13PM) --> NYP (6:54PM) will I be able to make it to Coney Island by 8PM?
Barely, and that assumes that it's a weekday and you have an on time arrival on Amtrak. If you're doing this on a weekend, odds are that you would miss 8:00 PM by just a bit, since service isn't quite as frequent.

On a Sunday, I would be returning from the Waterbury, CT area so I believe my best option is to drive to NYP from there, rather than return north to HFD. I would catch the 671 Keystone (7:15PM) and return to PAR at 9:34PM.
I don't know if it's an option for you, but if you can return the car in Waterbury, you could then take Metro North either to Grand Central and then do a subway transfer to Penn, or ride the MN train to Stamford and connect with an Amtrak Northeast Regional direct to Penn. You might also be able to return the car to Stamford if Waterbury isn't an option for returning it.

Alan,

I knew you'd be the biggest help :)

I think with the rate I'm getting dropping the car off in NYC is still gonna beat the train, but I appreciate the info. The Coney Island information is most appreciated, as I don't want to get screwed missing the 8PM cutoff at Coney. Now I have to figure out what to do about that. Any thoughts on an overnight in NYC?

From what I can tell, the only train which runs to Hartford is the Vermonter (I want to avoid a shuttle).
By "shuttle", I presume you mean a transfer in New Haven. For the sake of completeness, it would be possible to take a Regional directly from NYP to Hartford. But travelling mid-week, it looks like the only one leaves NYP at 6:40 PM and arrives at 9:20 PM. Perhaps later than you had planned for.

From what I can tell, the only train which runs to Hartford is the Vermonter (I want to avoid a shuttle).
By "shuttle", I presume you mean a transfer in New Haven. For the sake of completeness, it would be possible to take a Regional directly from NYP to Hartford. But travelling mid-week, it looks like the only one leaves NYP at 6:40 PM and arrives at 9:20 PM. Perhaps later than you had planned for.
By "shuttle," I meant what Amtrak publishes on their reservations site. I had assumed it was a thruway service.

And yes, my apologies -- the regional does run, but much later than I need.

By "shuttle," I meant what Amtrak publishes on their reservations site. I had assumed it was a thruway service.
I believe the Shuttle from New Haven to Springfield via Hartford is an actual train, with good connections to and from NYP.

Looking at the Amtrak Reservations Site, for this run they promise "1 Reserved Coach Seat".

For other runs known to be by bus, they promise "1 Reserved Thruway Seat".

Additionally, in the Printed Schedule, the "Shuttle" is printed in color, as are the other Trains. So far as I can see, all of the Bus routes are printed in Grey, and have a little "Bus" image right there on the Schedule. (Which the Hartford run does not show.)

Perhaps someone with first-hand knowledge can confirm this. If true, then Hartford would be accessible by Rail at several convenient times all through the day. The "Shuttle Service" is distinguished, however, by having no food or beverage service on board.

Perhaps someone with first-hand knowledge can confirm this. If true, then Hartford would be accessible by Rail at several convenient times all through the day. The "Shuttle Service" is distinguished, however, by having no food or beverage service on board.
The shuttle is indeed a train, that is confirmed.

And you are correct, there is no food or beverage service on the shuttles. You'd have to buy something on the connecting regional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back