NTD - Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump.

One week to go. I'll probably be arriving to CUS too late for a meet-up, but maybe some of you who are arriving in the morning can get together? My train arrives at CUS at 12:20 and we we'll have to have a very quick lunch before our tour.

I will be there if the CONO runs from CDL on Sat. Have ticket for 1:30 tour. Old man, gray hair, Dragon Slayer cap. (motorcycle riders will understand)

Assuming the #22 Texas Eagle runs on Saturday, May 7 (fingers crossed!!), I'll be on it but won't arrive in Chicago until around 1:00 p.m. Sunday, missing the festivities of National Train Day at Union Station. Wonder if any of the exhibits will still be up -- or will I have missed everything by that time?

Amtrak is taking reservations for the equipment tour up to 3:30 on Saturday. I can't speak for the rest of the displays though.

i be there cause i be working 49/48 in the diner. if we on time we be there roud 945 am

It's less than a month away. Latest count is 7, including two who will be working at displays. Is anyone else planning on going to National Train Day in Chicago?

Amtrak is taking reservations for the equipment tour up to 3:30 on Saturday. I can't speak for the rest of the displays though.
From what I remember, they tear down pretty quickly. Last year I did a ride on the Blue Line out to O'Hare and back, got back to CUS around 4:30pm and they were already well on their way to having most displays down already.

I believe it is track 2. That keeps it close to the NTD festivities in the great hall, and minimizes the mixing of NTD traffic and regular Amtrak passengers.

Looks like I'll be in Chicago for NTD. So is the consensus that most will be doing the equipment tours at 1PM? I'll meet up with anyone thats there. I'll probably get a couple rides up to Glenview and back for the triple points!

I thought the consensus was more toward 1:30... We could meet outside the Metro Lounge at 1 or 1:15 before joining the line for the tour so we're together though. ^_^

Aimee, a meetup at about 1:15 outside the Metropolitan lounge sounds good. The only question is does one have to be a ticketed pax in order to get into that area? Some of our AU members might be unticketed Chicagoans.

I believe there will be about 10 AU members at NTD in Chicago tomorrow, including two who will be working at exhibits.

We'll try for 1:15 outside the Metropolitan Lounge.

See you there!

We'll try for 1:15 outside the Metropolitan Lounge.
I'll be there. I have a reservation for 1:00pm, hoping they'll take it for 1:30 (or are we just planning to get in the "long" line?), no more online tickets.
Your tickets have a half hour window, so you can join the line short line anytime between 1 & 1:29 although I wouldn't cut it quite that close. But if you get there by 1:20 to 1:25, you should have no problems and you'd only be a few minutes ahead of those with 1:30 tickets if they get in line as soon as they are able. Then just drag your feet a bit until they catch up with you.

Hope you guys will have video/photos of this! I wanted to go this year for the first time, but was not able to get off since a co-worker has asked it off for her boyfriends' b-day.

NEXT year I will be there!

Well I waiting too long to even get tickets for the car displays. I waited because I wasn't sure when to get them for. Oh well, guess I'll just wing it!
I have an extra ticket for 12pm, if you're (or anyone else is) interested.
Looks like you're already there, but I get in at 12:30 on the Hiawatha.

Waiting on 305 to get going. It was good seeing and meeting everyone today. But yeah, Kevin, you do what you have to for getting to Seattle. I know I'll be sad if you have to miss it.

Hi guys, just got home to beautiful Crete after a hectic day at Union Station. Rode the 11:15 a.m. excursion - out to 21st Street bridge, back through coach yard tracks, then on the though track to north side of station and back to south side and arrival at Track 2. Saw the Bennett Levine PRR train set, really beautiful, but only viewable from the outside. Got to the equipment display gate at 12:30, took an hour waiting in line (with "timed" ticket) to tour the four MILW 261 cars. Saw RTABERN in the Super Dome but he was busy on the P.A. system and I was swept past him by the crowd and couldn't talk. I was behind the world's worst behaved kid for the entire time. Got to the Metro Lounge about 1:40, but everybody had left, so did a quick tour of the exhibits in the Great Hall and headed for CTA bus and Metra Electric back home. Sorry I missed everybody. The crowds were really getting me down. I'm not as young as I used to be! Hope everyone had a good time,

Got to the equipment display gate at 12:30, took an hour waiting in line (with "timed" ticket) to tour the four MILW 261 cars.
It wasn't any better in DC; trust me! We got on line at 11:57 with 12:00 PM tickets and didn't reach the first car until after 1 PM. :eek:

We had a group reservation for lunch at 1:30, I had to call and push that back to 2:00 and then 2:30. And even then, we didn't walk through the last line of cars, we'd only made it through 3 of the 5 tracks worth of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back