Number of trains ply Southwest Chief route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WaltonKSfarmer

So, here is the question....How many Southwest Chief trains are there in all running this Chicago to Los Angeles route at any one time ? 4, 6, 8 ? Since it takes this train some 40 hours to make the trip one way, it stands to reason that there are more than two trains, each heading in the opposite direction, OR are there only two Southwwest Chief trains with one heading west from Chicago and one heading west from L.A. ?

Since I live on a little farm close to the BNSF railroad tracks close to the tiny town of Walton in Kansas, I am privy to hear the Southwest Chief speeding by at about 3 am every day of the world. I generally hear the train going from east to west, first, about 3 am and the train heading west to east about 15 minutes later. Sometmes, I have seen Amtrak trains standing on the siding at the Walton railyard, waiting for its twin to pass from the other direction. I can set my watch by Amtrak, generally...........well, sort of. However, I have an impression that this " perceived fact " that I am witnessing these two opposing trains meeting at the midpoint along the Southwest Chief's route, is not that at all. I have a feeling that there are many more Southwest Chief individual trains than just these two that I look forward to hearing at 3 am near Walton, Kansas.

True or false.

At most 4, 2 in each direction.

Right now (8:25AM EDT), running west you have the SWC that left Chicago on MONDAY (known as 3(26) because it left on the 26th) 3 hours away from arriving at LA (assuming it's running on time, I didn't check). Roughly 1400 miles behind it, approaching Garden City, Kansas is the SWC that left Chicago yesterday afternoon. Once 3(26)reaches LAX, there will be 1 SWC running 3(27) until this afternoon when 3(28) gets underway.

Running East it's similar: 4(26) is approaching Kansas City and 4(27) is in Arizona. When 3(26) arrives in CHI at 3:10 CDT (1:10 PDT) there will be a ~6 hour window where there is only 1 SWC running until 4(28) gets underway.

Edit to add: This means that there are 3 meeting points along the way, which you can devine by looking at the time table seeing where and where 3 and 4 are in the same place at roughly the same time. From the west, the first is near Needles, CA where 3 departs at 0049 and 4 departs at 0103. The next is just east of Lamay where 4 departs at 1350 and 3 arrives at 1424. The final is yours in Kansas. There is very nearly a 4th (and sometimes is) right in Chicago, as scheduled 4 arrives at 1510 and 3 leaves at 1515, so if 3 is late more than 5 minutes the two trains pass each other in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
There used to be commercial that said

"It is 11 pm. Do you know where your children are?"

So look at he clock now, almost 10 a.m. So, "It is 10am, do you know where the SWC is?"

I would say do not think so much about sets of equipment passing each other. And do not sweat the time zones, it is not that important.

Look at the timetable for 10 am and find:

1.trinidad,co,westbound

2.near arrival in LA (8.15am close enough)westbound

3.gallup, east bound

4, la plaza Mo, eastbound

5.spare set in chicago from day before since there are only five minuts between the last eastbound arrval and the next westbond departure

All long distance trains have several sets of equipment. It just flows naturally that when a set of equipment reaches the end of the line it turns back as soon as it can.

And it is possible that there is a sixth set waiting to go back east in LA but I am not sure.

And just to confuse things a little more, on some days of the week, the TE runs between CHI and LAX or between LAX and CHI also!
laugh.gif

So, here is the question....How many Southwest Chief trains are there in all running this Chicago to Los Angeles route at any one time ? 4, 6, 8 ? Since it takes this train some 40 hours to make the trip one way, it stands to reason that there are more than two trains, each heading in the opposite direction, OR are there only two Southwwest Chief trains with one heading west from Chicago and one heading west from L.A. ?
Let me try to simplfy it.

The trainset that leaves Chicago on Monday arrives in LA on Wednesday morning.

If it turns the same day in LA it will arrive in CHI on Friday and layover until the Saturday departure. Therefore it takes 5 sets. If it lays overnight in LA, 6 sets.

Let me try to simplfy it.

The trainset that leaves Chicago on Monday arrives in LA on Wednesday morning.

If it turns the same day in LA it will arrive in CHI on Friday and layover until the Saturday departure. Therefore it takes 5 sets. If it lays overnight in LA, 6 sets.

This is the easiest way to work out the numbers. It also helps to show what major speed-ups can do for you. For Illustration: The current City of New Orleans train requires three sets of equipment. Back when the train of the same name was a 16 1/2 hour "daylight" schedule, it could be done with two sets of equipment, although with a 6 hour turnoround instead of the current near 20 hour turn.

Thanks to the 6 professionals who responded so quickly to my question. I have been wondering about this for 20 years. I live about a quarter mile from the BNSF tracks. I can't see trains as they pass by, but I can hear them. I was aware that Amtrak did have two opposing trains that often would have to wait for one or the other on the Walton and Newton Kansas sidings at 3 in the morning or thereabouts, every morning of the world. I did read the schedule for the Southwest Chief, but wasn't sure what I was reading. Now, I know that there are at least 3 sets of trains heading in each direction at all times on this route. Well, more to the point there are 5 and 6 sets of opposing trains on the route at any time. That is a lot of equipment to maintain. I see BNSF crews working on the tracks around here all the time, replacing and maintaining tracks. A lot of time and effort and money is being spent to keep things running smoothly and safely. I see that there are three places along the route where opposing Southwest Chief trains pass about the same time, but that doesn't mean anything. It takes one set of trains per day and it takes a train 5 to 6 days to make a complete cycle and so there are 5 to 6 sets of trains on this route any given day. Wow, I had NO idea...no idea that it took that much equipment. To engineers, conductors and attendents who work on the Southwest Chief, don't think that your presence is just felt on the train that you serve, because I am aware that you exist, when I hear Amtrak passing by every morning at around 3 am. I can always tell if it is Amtrak, because Amtrak makes a sort of hollow, clickety-clack sound as it's wheels skip along the tracks at 70 miles per hour. I listen to make sure I hear the train going east and the opposing train going west to be sure that all is right with the world. A freight train makes a heavier sounding clickety-clack with it's wheels and it passes by more slowly. Amtrak speeds past in about 20 seconds, while a freight takes a couple of minutes. These BNSF tracks have been in this same spot since the 1880s. Everytime that I hear Amtrak pass by, I am hearing living history at work. To all those serving on the Southwest Chief, thanks for what you all do.

Hi,

Although I live in the UK, I am a fan of Amtrak, and have enjoyed many thousands of miles aboard train. I often see folk that I assume are locals waving as the train passes.. not sure they can see me wave back, as the windows are tinted, but I still do!

Your posting here adds another dimension to the Southwest Chief journey.. next time I am aboard, I will be thinking of you, and your little farm, as the train passes by in the night, near Walton..

I might miss Walton though, I tend to sleep quite well, as per the song by Woody Guthrie "Listen to the steel rails humming, thats the hobo's lullaby"

Cheers,

Eddie :cool:

Thanks to the 6 professionals who responded so quickly to my question. I have been wondering about this for 20 years. I live about a quarter mile from the BNSF tracks. I can't see trains as they pass by, but I can hear them. I was aware that Amtrak did have two opposing trains that often would have to wait for one or the other on the Walton and Newton Kansas sidings at 3 in the morning or thereabouts, every morning of the world. I did read the schedule for the Southwest Chief, but wasn't sure what I was reading. Now, I know that there are at least 3 sets of trains heading in each direction at all times on this route. Well, more to the point there are 5 and 6 sets of opposing trains on the route at any time. That is a lot of equipment to maintain. I see BNSF crews working on the tracks around here all the time, replacing and maintaining tracks. A lot of time and effort and money is being spent to keep things running smoothly and safely. I see that there are three places along the route where opposing Southwest Chief trains pass about the same time, but that doesn't mean anything. It takes one set of trains per day and it takes a train 5 to 6 days to make a complete cycle and so there are 5 to 6 sets of trains on this route any given day. Wow, I had NO idea...no idea that it took that much equipment. To engineers, conductors and attendents who work on the Southwest Chief, don't think that your presence is just felt on the train that you serve, because I am aware that you exist, when I hear Amtrak passing by every morning at around 3 am. I can always tell if it is Amtrak, because Amtrak makes a sort of hollow, clickety-clack sound as it's wheels skip along the tracks at 70 miles per hour. I listen to make sure I hear the train going east and the opposing train going west to be sure that all is right with the world. A freight train makes a heavier sounding clickety-clack with it's wheels and it passes by more slowly. Amtrak speeds past in about 20 seconds, while a freight takes a couple of minutes. These BNSF tracks have been in this same spot since the 1880s. Everytime that I hear Amtrak pass by, I am hearing living history at work. To all those serving on the Southwest Chief, thanks for what you all do.

Keep in mind that the SWC is in no way unique. Many trains need more than one set of equipment.

It looks like one of the west bound SWCs is a little late today. There are a lot of people standing on the platform in ABQ, usually the train has already gone through by the time I transfer city buses here...

the SWC consist that I boarded in Chicago on the 13th arrived in LA the morning of the 15th, then went right back out that night, same engines and all, I know this because my friends and I chased it up Cajon that evening.

the SWC consist that I boarded in Chicago on the 13th arrived in LA the morning of the 15th, then went right back out that night, same engines and all, I know this because my friends and I chased it up Cajon that evening.

Then if that is normal practice, that means that there are five sets of equipment. The only reason I suggested that there might be six sets of equipment was since today's timekeeping is not as fanatically on time as was that of the old Super Chief on the Santa Fe RR.

It is a matter of record that the former Super Chief ran with five sections.

It is sure that the California Zephyr in its original pre Amtrak days used six set of equipment. Not sure about, say, the Empire Builder.

To engineers, conductors and attendents who work on the Southwest Chief, don't think that your presence is just felt on the train that you serve, because I am aware that you exist, when I hear Amtrak passing by every morning at around 3 am. I can always tell if it is Amtrak, because Amtrak makes a sort of hollow, clickety-clack sound as it's wheels skip along the tracks at 70 miles per hour. I listen to make sure I hear the train going east and the opposing train going west to be sure that all is right with the world. A freight train makes a heavier sounding clickety-clack with it's wheels and it passes by more slowly. Amtrak speeds past in about 20 seconds, while a freight takes a couple of minutes. These BNSF tracks have been in this same spot since the 1880s. Everytime that I hear Amtrak pass by, I am hearing living history at work. To all those serving on the Southwest Chief, thanks for what you all do.
That's a lovely way of thinking about it. One of the things I love most about train travel is all the glimpses we get into other peoples lives as we pass through so many different places. Train tracks are so much less obtrusive than roads. And while we're unlikely to notice a particular car driving past, a LD train like the SWC probably marks the day/evening/night for many other people along the way.

I'll be taking the SWC LAX to CHI at the end of September, my first cross country trip. I'll think of you!

Oh yes, I, too, enjoy looking out at night, seeing the farm houses with their lights on at 2 a.m. etc, definately part of the romance of the rails.

In fact I keep my curtains pulled back at night on the train.

Oh yes, I, too, enjoy looking out at night, seeing the farm houses with their lights on at 2 a.m. etc, definately part of the romance of the rails.

In fact I keep my curtains pulled back at night on the train.
That's one of the things I really enjoy about being in a sleeper - the fact your can darken you room really well and be able to look outside. In many cases, you can see quite a bit. One of the big drawbacks with being in coach at night. Even with the lights dimmed, you are still dealing with reflections.

I keep my curtains open most of the time as well. :cool:

Dan

Then if that is normal practice, that means that there are five sets of equipment. The only reason I suggested that there might be six sets of equipment was since today's timekeeping is not as fanatically on time as was that of the old Super Chief on the Santa Fe RR.

It is a matter of record that the former Super Chief ran with five sections.

It is sure that the California Zephyr in its original pre Amtrak days used six set of equipment. Not sure about, say, the Empire Builder.
The Southwest Chief requires five sets.

It has only been a day since I first posted to this web site and I really appreciate all of your repsonses. Now, I truly have an idea what is going on, when Amtrak comes speeding by. Well, at least an idea of the number of conscripts on the tracks at the same time. Yes, yesterdays 3 am Amtrak was about 1.5 hours late. It came by about 4:30 am. The opposing Amtrak sped by about 4:50 am. I am not sure if those two events were directly related, given how many trains are on the rails at any given time, but I assume that they are frarily closely choreographed. I don't always here Amtrak, as it passes by. Sometimes the wind is so strong here that I can't hear the train's air horn, but most days, I can hear the train blowing it's horn at the two crossings closest to me. I do not live in Walton. In fact, I am between Peabody and Walton, Kansas. I listen for the four blasts from the engine's air horn. Sometimes the engineer blasts the horn 8 to 12 times. Usually, the code is two short and two long blasts at every uncontrolled crossing to warn anyone using crossing roads of the train's apporach, but there is something about my crossing that makes engineers on both freight and passenger trains blow the air horn lots more than at other crossings. Peabody and Walton used to have their own train stations until the 1960s or so, but the advent of the Model T Ford in the 1910's era and extensive road building made personal travel less dependent on the train. I loved to hear stories about my own family's involvement with the early steam drawn railroad of the 1910 era, because after the mule drawn wagon and the horse drawn stagecoach, it was the railraod that brought east and west of the USA together and my family came here right after the Civil War to settle. I don't think that local people observing the Amtrak from the countryside, as it speeds by, can see anyone waving from the train. Amtrak passes by in just a few seconds. I timed one train by sound, as I sat in my house. I heard the air horn at the closest mile crossing and timed until I heard the air horn at the next mile crossing. It was 20 seconds. So, besides the air horn, it is the train's wheels that I hear. Amtrak makes a very unique sound with its wheels that make what I call a hollow clickety-clack sound. The wheels carry such a light load that they seem to sing rather than plod, like the fright train does. Also, thanks for the other insights about current stories on the Southwest Chief.

Usually, the code is two short and two long blasts at every uncontrolled crossing to warn anyone using crossing roads of the train's apporach, but there is something about my crossing that makes engineers on both freight and passenger trains blow the air horn lots more than at other crossings.
One possible reason: There may have been a grade crossing collision at this location that stands out in the memory of the engineers that run this route.

Whenever I travel long distance I book a sleeper and I too always leave the windows open at night. I've been fortunate enough on a couple of occasions to travel on a full moon nights and watched long into the night as the moonlit country-side passed by. On another occasion I enjoyed a spectaculor light show as ligtning flashed repeatidly for almost an hour. Part of the 'romance' of riding the rails.

To those who responded to my question, I really salute you for your work. I appreciate you willingness to respond to my question in a really professonal way. I still hear Amtrak coming by my place close to 3 am every morning of the world and I am a lot more aware of what I am listneing to as I hear the train speed by.

I have been wondering about this for 20 years. I listen to make sure I hear the train going east and the opposing train going west to be sure that all is right with the world.
This is an interesting and heartwarming thread you started here. We have the Texas Eagle passing by my work and my home between eight and nine each night. If I'm leaving work late I sometimes check the signals and if they indicate an oncoming train I'll hang around for the Eagle to pass by. When I think of the people on the train I mainly remember that they're just a few minutes away from hitting the 5MPH zone that seems to take forever just as you're expecting to arrive at the station. I don't know if it's always been that way, but in recent years UP had one accident after another here in SAS and maybe this was the way the city decided to address the issue.

I often see folk that I assume are locals waving as the train passes.. not sure they can see me wave back, as the windows are tinted, but I still do! Your posting here adds another dimension to the Southwest Chief journey. Next time I am aboard, I will be thinking of you, and your little farm, as the train passes by in the night, near Walton.
I'll be thinking of the same thing next time I'm between Peabody and Walton. As for waving I can assure you most people can't see you in the daytime and even though they can see you at night they probably can't make out what you're doing for more than a second before you're long gone from their perspective. Unless you're stopped in a station on the bottom floor. Then folks can just look right in and see whatever they want. :eek:

I am continuing my comments on this thred to see if anyone is still reading it. It has been about a year since I last wrote on this particular web page. I left my window open all night and my subconscious seemed to me hearing a train horn. I woke at about 6:30 am realizing that the train horn was real. This morning is very crisp and clear and windless. It is about 45 degrees outside. These weather conditions allow the train's air horn to sound a lot further than usual. Usually, I can hear the train's air horn maybe 3 miles in either direction. What got my attention was the urgency in the sound of this particular train's air horn. Both Amtrak and freight trains ply this BNSF track. It is a main line that runs just a half mile south of my house. I always listen to the train horns and the sound of the trains wheels on the rails as any train rolls past. This morning's train air horn proved to me that I was hearing Amtrak for sure and it was running from west to east and it was in a huge hurry. I mean, I counted seconds in my head between the miles and I got about 30 seconds between the county mile roads. Since I was hearing this train's air horn from a LONG way to the west, I am thinking that I was actually hearing this morning's Amtrak from about Newton, which is about 16 miles to the west and at least from Walton. Walton is about 4 miles west of my house. What was unusual about this morning was that I could hear the train's air horn LONG after it passed by my house. I wasn't paying close attention. I figure I was hearing this Amtrak until it got to Peabody, which is about 4 miles east. I got back on this link that I used about a year ago and looked up the link for the current Amtrak Staus Map and I see that the east bound Amtrak was almost three and a half hours late. This confirms that my inner " feeling " was correct that there was a sense of urgency in the sounds being given off by this particular Amtrak train. Why I am writing this is because my connection with this train is totally by sound...long distance sound, and my knowledge about what I am hearing is only confirmed by the miracle of the Internet. Otherwise, these sounds that I am hearing would just be sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back