Obama train on the 17th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would FULLY expect to see Diesel power in this scenario. If some sort of situation were to occur and the power were to go down, that would not be a recommended situation given the Presidents stature.
Couldn't the set of locomotives at the front of the train be something like one electric and a pair of diesels, with the diesels not running unless something goes wrong with the electric locomtive and related infrastructure?
I'm not sure that one electric motor has enough power to drag around two diesels, as well as the rest of the consist.

You'd want twin electrics on the front for redundancy anyways - I'll go ahead and bet 2x HHP-8 and 1 P42. :)

Acela150, thanks for looking into this - I'm sure that I'll be able to get pics from somewhere (hell, they can't close off everything within site of the NEC), the question is how hard I'm going to have to work at it. :D

Why are we assuming there will be electric power? I suspect it will be two P42s (which was the power on the "whistle stop" Keystone train during the primaries). At that time, I think it was mentioned that diesel was far preferable because it allowed unlimited flexibility if for any emergency reason the train had to change route. Since the Obama campaign used the Georgia 300 in the primary, I'm guessing that's what they'll use again. I'd be happy to be wrong--it's not the prettiest car in my opinion, and PRR 120 has a lot more presidential history.

I'm with Wayman. This train is running between PHL and WAS, there is absolutely no need for this train to be hauled by electrics. When Prince Charles came over he had electrics, but that's because his train was headed to New York where you HAVE to have an electric to get in there. Diesels have regularly run on the corridor south of Philly, and there's no reason why this train would need to be any different.

2 P42s, a few Amfleets, maybe 1-2 other private cars, and the GA 300 on the back w/Obama. That's my guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 P42s, a few Amfleets, maybe 1-2 other private cars, and the GA 300 on the back w/Obama. That's my guess.
That was pretty much the primary train's consist: 2 P42s, 3 Amfleet IIs (one of which was a cafe, I think?), GA 300. Short and to the point, and the Amfleets were all for the press, of course.

Given that the inauguration train has ten families of guests, I expect a second private car will be in the consist for them (since they may represent upwards of 20-30 passengers). Obama's car will carry him, Michelle, Sasha and Malia and Marian Robinson (unless they're staying in DC), Joe and Jill Biden, Reggie Love (Obama's "body man"), five or six other SS agents, and maybe Axelrod or another advisor or two plus several aides (Herbie and Marvin, if they're still working for him, perhaps); and Obama and Biden and their wives will circulate into the family guests car (which will have another 5 or 6 SS agents), and a few press photographers will be allowed in there; they may or may not allow any press into GA 300 or whatever observation they're using. (I do hold out hope for PA 120...) At least, that's my guess based on how similar events ran during the campaign.

Believe it or not, early in the campaign (through April at least) Obama's motorcade drivers were not SS agents--they were local volunteers! The SS ran background checks, of course, but locals were chosen because they knew the area roads better than any SS agent would. Generally, SUV 1 had local driver, Herbie (motorcade manager), Obama, Reggie, and a couple more SS agents; SUV 2 had local driver, Marvin (scheduling manager), Axelrod, and several SS agents. Not always exactly that "consist", but that was how it was for the events I helped with. I'm sure it's not that way now!

Last edited by a moderator:
This train is running between PHL and WAS, there is absolutely no need for this train to be hauled by electrics.
Isn't there some benefit to minimizing the amount of diesel exhaust the President-elect is exposed to going through the Baltimore tunnels?
I suspect his recent pork and beef sausage on a steamed hot dog bun, topped with mustard, onions and chili sauce was a greater risk to his health than the diesel exhaust from one short trip through the Baltimore tunnels.

The amount of diesel exhaust that gets into the train through the Baltimore tunnels is minimal at best. Diesels run through these tunnels multiple times a day with MARC Commuters and none of them are screaming about long term health effects. Those guys do it five days a week too.

This train is running between PHL and WAS, there is absolutely no need for this train to be hauled by electrics.
Isn't there some benefit to minimizing the amount of diesel exhaust the President-elect is exposed to going through the Baltimore tunnels?
the Obama camp is emphisizing the enviiorenment and the inaugaral parade is to use mostly hybrids and electrics so I would suspect that there will be electrics pulling the train with maybe a backup P42 in the consist just in case, of course the pilot train could be diesel since they would be nearby to cover for breakdowns. etc.

as for the consist, I would really hope for all Amtrak if for no other reason than the principal of the thing, the BEECH GROVE would be a nice private car for the tail end. fix up some nice amcans for the rest of the train maybe even a viewliner or two for the private rooms aboard. what ever is chosen I would suspect it is already hidden away somewhere, maybe Bear maybe Wilmington being gone over with a fine tooth comb.

(has anyone seen the Corridor clipper or Beech Grove in the past week or so. they are often at the East End of Wash Union Station.)

Bob

When Prince Charles came over he had electrics, but that's because his train was headed to New York where you HAVE to have an electric to get in there. Diesels have regularly run on the corridor south of Philly, and there's no reason why this train would need to be any different.
Prince Charles' train used electrics because the security concerns weren't high enough to warrant diesels. Had he been King, I'm pretty sure that they would have used diesel to pull his train. While it is frowned upon and they try to avoid it at all costs under normal circumstances, there is no reason that diesels can't operate into Penn if need be. Assuming that they fit through the tunnels, which some diesels don't.

But I've no doubt that Amtrak could free up a P32-ACDM or two and in a pinch, they could use a P42 into Penn.

When Prince Charles came over he had electrics, but that's because his train was headed to New York where you HAVE to have an electric to get in there. Diesels have regularly run on the corridor south of Philly, and there's no reason why this train would need to be any different.
Prince Charles' train used electrics because the security concerns weren't high enough to warrant diesels. Had he been King, I'm pretty sure that they would have used diesel to pull his train. While it is frowned upon and they try to avoid it at all costs under normal circumstances, there is no reason that diesels can't operate into Penn if need be. Assuming that they fit through the tunnels, which some diesels don't.

But I've no doubt that Amtrak could free up a P32-ACDM or two and in a pinch, they could use a P42 into Penn.
I love how in the UK, there is a beautifully restored steam engine that's been fitted with ATC so it can pull the royal train on the main line for special occasions. (They also have two diesels specifically devoted to the royal train and in royal colors for less special trips.) It's nice how they still do things "properly" over there (ie, by train :) ), but then, it would be totally silly to have a royal airplane to fly the short distances within the UK.

I love how in the UK, there is a beautifully restored steam engine that's been fitted with ATC so it can pull the royal train on the main line for special occasions. (They also have two diesels specifically devoted to the royal train and in royal colors for less special trips.) It's nice how they still do things "properly" over there (ie, by train :) ), but then, it would be totally silly to have a royal airplane to fly the short distances within the UK.

like king george (bush) used to fly from Andrews to Norfolk couple days ago????

wonder if the 747 ever even got to cruise altitude.

Bob

Has anyone heard anything additional about the Obama train trip from Phila to DC on Jan 17th.
big announcement then silence.

Bob

Does anybody know what equipment is going to be used? cars,engines, electric or diesel in case the power is cut? I can understand if it's being kept secret... :)

just heard that the shindig in Baltimore is scheduled for 4 PM

much later than I expected especially since these events are NEVER on time

Bob

My buddie at Amtrak says that he is under the impression that pictures will be allowed! Which is good! I asked him about a schedule. Which I will hopefully get for everyone tommorow.

Thanks,

Stephen

Has anyone heard anything additional about the Obama train trip from Phila to DC on Jan 17th.

Bob

Does anybody know what equipment is going to be used? cars,engines, electric or diesel in case the power is cut? I can understand if it's being kept secret... :)

Bob
Dang, good chance it'll be dark before they get to Odenton! :(

Bob

Another question(s)?! Any idea if there is some sort of schedule for Obama's trip??? Is CNN going to cover it??? I would like to watch it. as this is going to be a historic time in our history!!! :)

Bob

Bob
Dang, good chance it'll be dark before they get to Odenton! :(
dern good chance it'll be dark before they get to Baltimore, I plan on going North, maybe Perryville,

can't imagine how they would prevent photography. would help if we knew the track and schedule.

wonder which radio freq the RR will use, and if they'll call CTEC to let them know where they are??

Bob

I'm not so sure he's pro-amtrak. Haven't heard anything about plans for high-speed rail since the campaign, and if not now, then when?

Well if you notice he's very vague in a lot of things. A large part of that is he doesn't want to shift focus away from the policy as a whole to the particulars. I have no doubt in my mind, just take a look at the Joe Series of Dolls.

would help if we knew the track and schedule. wonder which radio freq the RR will use, and if they'll call CTEC to let them know where they are??
I can't imagine why they'd call CTEC to let them know where they are, since CTEC can see where they are at all times. And I rather suspect that if any radio calls were made, that they have to be made on the normal channel, as I'm not sure that the CTEC can handle other frequencies. You can't have a dispatcher on two different frequencies if you want them to be able to talk to everyone. And if something were to go wrong, you want everyone driving a train in that stretch of tracks to know instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back