Obama train on the 17th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...like king george (bush) used to fly from Andrews to Norfolk couple days ago????
wonder if the 747 ever even got to cruise altitude.

Bob
Joe Biden will be right at home. Another free ride on Amtrak. Political slaps even! :p
Do we actually know that his rides were free? I've never actually heard either way.

as a fact he had a commuter ticket and paid the Acela upgrade when he rode them.

Bob

Has anyone heard anything additional about the Obama train trip from Phila to DC on Jan 17th.
big announcement then silence.

Bob
interesting,

the Amtrak website has all trains leaving Phila southbound marked as sold out on the 17th between 10:30AM - 4:30 PM

lets you go all the way thru the reservation process up to selecting a train.

a couple of them list 1 first class seat???? left

Bob

Crap - MARC station Odenton (between BWI and NCR) has signs up that there is no parking in any of the station lots on 1/17. Not a good sign for hanging out on the platform and getting some pictures.

Since there's no MARC service on the weekend, there's no "legit" reason to be there, so it'd be pretty easy to seal the entire joint off.

I know of some other places around here that have a view of the tracks, but if all the "casual viewing" spots are closed off, going to the hard to reach spots is sure to garner unwanted security attention. :(

(hello Mr. Secret Service, and Amtrak Special Agent Pat, nothing to see here, just want to see my new President on the way to Washington!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap - MARC station Odenton (between BWI and NCR) has signs up that there is no parking in any of the station lots on 1/17. Not a good sign for hanging out on the platform and getting some pictures.
Since there's no MARC service on the weekend, there's no "legit" reason to be there, so it'd be pretty easy to seal the entire joint off.

I know of some other places around here that have a view of the tracks, but if all the "casual viewing" spots are closed off, going to the hard to reach spots is sure to garner unwanted security attention. :(

(hello Mr. Secret Service, and Amtrak Special Agent Pat, nothing to see here, just want to see my new President on the way to Washington!)
looks like it is telephoto lens time.

SEPTA is saying only that parking lots on the Southbound side of the tracks will be closed.

Most of Odenton is on the Southbound side, wonder if that is the same or MARC is just doing thier normal overreacting..

Bob

I'm not sure why there would be a difference, both lots are equally close to the tracks (although the southbound side borders the tracks for longer).

Anywho, it's a "By order of AA County Police" sign, so I'm sure it's the SS pulling the strings on this one.

I'm not sure why there would be a difference, both lots are equally close to the tracks (although the southbound side borders the tracks for longer).
Anywho, it's a "By order of AA County Police" sign, so I'm sure it's the SS pulling the strings on this one.
yeah was considering going to Martin Airport station but haven't checked it out yet.

Bob

Really cool to watch the train on the tube, those engines done up in Amtrak livery are great to look at, and its good publicity. Obama waving from the car platform is cool too.

What a class act on the part of Obama and Biden to invite the Amtrak conductor and his wife to the Inaugural! Maybe a symbolic nod to the common folks, but could be very positive in the attitude toward rail. :rolleyes:
I am asking myself if Greg Weaver's comments were self-crafted or written by the Obama/Biden staffs or Amtrak. They were very polished. That is not to speak badly of the intelect of conducters. I was just taken by the political slant of the introduction. I hope that the Biden affinity for Amtrak leads to more capital investment (new equipment and infrastructure) for Amtrak.

VP-elect Joe Biden had the Amtrak conductor on his regular train, Greg Weaver (sorry if the name or spelling is incorrect), give the introduction at the Wilmington station. Pretty classy, and, yes, excellent publicity for Amtrak. Hopefully the good publicity will continue long after this train trip ends.

What's the exact consist of the train?

edit: nevermind.

"In addition to the Georgia 300, the train will consist of four Amtrak passenger cars, two of which will be food service cars, and two locomotives."

Hoping for some good pics.

I was just taken by the political slant of the introduction.
Like Petaluma I've been enjoying the TV coverage (watching since 7 a.m.). Mostly CNN, occasionally C-SPAN.

Didn't think the conductor's intro of Joe Biden at Wilmington was all that political, but also wondered who crafted it, and further if the guy had been instructed on the use of tele-prompters, which were on the stage. Thought he did a good job.

Sorry if this has been covered earlier (didn't wanna slog through all 60 posts so far), but why the P42s (dual use?) instead of electrics? Does the route take the train through any unelectrified territory? Amfleet cars look good, and I'l bet the Georgia, Obama's car, is pretty sweet inside. Wolf Blitzer labeled it a caboose at one point, and was called on it. HA! Nice Mars light.

While I understand the symbolism, and political imperative, of "slow rolls" and stopping for speeches, I think good symbolism also might have been a high-speed straight shot from Philly to D.C., with aerial coverage and press pool shots of the train jamming by.

"In addition to the Georgia 300, the train will consist of four Amtrak passenger cars, two of which will be food service cars, and two locomotives."

Actually, that was not the consist! Try 2 P42s, ten Amfleets (two of them cafes), and the Georgia 300.

The lead train was 2 P42s and two Amfleets. The tail train was 2 P42s, 4 Amfleets, and Beech Grove.

My photos from Claymont, Delaware:

Four friends and I went down there for the "slow roll-by", went through well-organized security checkpoints, and assembled with a crowd of maybe a 1000 people along the lengthy platform there. As we were on the pedestrian bridge over I-95, the lead train came through. It was about twenty minutes until the presidential train arrived. A lady near us got a phone call from a friend of hers in Chester when the train passed, so we had a very good estimate of when it would get to Claymont. The train rolled by at maybe 5 miles per hour while Barack, Michelle, and David Plouffe (campaign manager; at least, I'm pretty sure it was him) waved from the platform of the Georgia 300. An extremely well-organized event, with ample parking, efficient security, tremendous viewing space with great sight lines, and (best of all) no wind so no wind chill!

I'll post some more photos (the super zoom ones) later tonight.

Actually, that was not the consist! Try 2 P42s, ten Amfleets (two of them cafes), and the Georgia 300.

The lead train was 2 P42s and two Amfleets. The tail train was 2 P42s, 4 Amfleets, and Beech Grove.

Four friends and I went down there for the "slow roll-by", went through well-organized security checkpoints, and assembled with a crowd of maybe a 1000 people along the lengthy platform there. As we were on the pedestrian bridge over I-95, the lead train came through. It was about twenty minutes until the presidential train arrived. A lady near us got a phone call from a friend of hers in Chester when the train passed, so we had a very good estimate of when it would get to Claymont. The train rolled by at maybe 5 miles per hour while Barack, Michelle, and David Plouffe (campaign manager; at least, I'm pretty sure it was him) waved from the platform of the Georgia 300. An extremely well-organized event, with ample parking, efficient security, tremendous viewing space with great sight lines, and (best of all) no wind so no wind chill!

Thanks for the consist info and great pictures under trying conditions!!! :)

Thanks for the pics and report, wayman! Very cool.

So SIX P42s in all? Talk about overwhelming force... On the other hand, kinda makes you wonder how many were expected to break down. :D

Well the Obama Express has finally arrived at Washington D.C. at 7:00 P.M. eastern time. I tracked this train through the news for 8 hours straight.

Try 2 P42s,9 amfleets, and the Georgia 300

Pretty Good Article on the whole journey (though the video does make the "caboose" faux pas):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28705848/

Interesting photos in the featured "Slideshow" include Obama sitting in an Amfleet Cafe Car chatting it up with fellow riders. Also like the quote from the rider on the packed Crescent coming into Washington DC.

Sorry if this has been covered earlier (didn't wanna slog through all 60 posts so far), but why the P42s (dual use?) instead of electrics? Does the route take the train through any unelectrified territory? Amfleet cars look good, and I'l bet the Georgia, Obama's car, is pretty sweet inside. Wolf Blitzer labeled it a caboose at one point, and was called on it. HA! Nice Mars light.
I'm not sure what you mean by dual use P42's, as they are diesel only. It's the P32's that are dual mode, third rail or diesel powered.

As to your main question though, that's a security thing. While the planned train route did not include any segments without overhead power, the secret service nonetheless wants that flexibility should something go wrong. Additionally, the SS doesn't want to be tied to a power source that could be cut off leaving the President-elect as basically a sitting duck. Having diesel power on the head end ensures that they can keep going should someone try to sabotage the power system. And I'm betting those diesel's fuel tanks were full to the max upon leaving Philly so as to allow maximum range.

Additionally I'm betting that they had agents not only in Amtrak's CTEC dispatch offices in Philly, but also in CSX and NS dispatch centers just in case they needed to divert off the NEC in an emergency situation, as well as an armored car or two that paced the train more or less, again to provide an emergency escape route just in case of a threat.

Additionally I'm betting that they had agents not only in Amtrak's CTEC dispatch offices in Philly, but also in CSX and NS dispatch centers just in case they needed to divert off the NEC in an emergency situation, as well as an armored car or two that paced the train more or less, again to provide an emergency escape route just in case of a threat.
They also had a large Marine helicopter flying fairly close behind the train, presumably so in case of absolute emergency they could hover over Georgia 300, drop a couple Marines down on a rope, grab Obama from the train, and whisk him away by air.

Try 2 P42s,9 amfleets, and the Georgia 300
Whoops, you're right. Here's the full parade consist:

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

[fifteen minutes]

Black helicopter

[five minutes]

P42 44

P42 120

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Georgia 300

[one minute]

large Marine helicopter

[fifteen minutes]

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach

Beech Grove

Both Amcafes in Obama's train had the new "Northeast ® Regional" logo in the center of the car.

Unfortunately, we'd already started walking back across the bridge to the parking lot when the tail train came through (with Beech Grove), so I didn't get any photos of it. It's possible one of the four coaches in the tail train was an Amcafe; all I'm sure of is that it was four Amfleets and BG, since we were further away by that point and it was going by at speed and I was mostly thinking "ooh, Beech Grove!" while my friends were saying "what the heck is that?!" :)

I'm not sure what you mean by dual use P42's, as they are diesel only. It's the P32's that are dual mode, third rail or diesel powered
I did not know that. Thanks, Alan.

Wayman mentioned a Marine chopper, and I would imagine there was a lot more air power than that, though out of sight and not talked about. Maybe fighters lurking high above, in case any bozos looked liked they might violate the airspace restrictions.

Aloha

From a comment from my sister who lives in the DC area, I would be there was 2 more helicopters not very far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back