Obama train on the 17th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you mean by dual use P42's, as they are diesel only. It's the P32's that are dual mode, third rail or diesel powered
I did not know that. Thanks, Alan.

Wayman mentioned a Marine chopper, and I would imagine there was a lot more air power than that, though out of sight and not talked about. Maybe fighters lurking high above, in case any bozos looked liked they might violate the airspace restrictions.
Almost certainly. And I suspect there were Coast Guard vessels in line with the train moving down the Delaware River as well, but we couldn't see the river as there's a very thin line of trees between the NEC and the shore.

I'm not sure what you mean by dual use P42's, as they are diesel only. It's the P32's that are dual mode, third rail or diesel powered
I did not know that. Thanks, Alan.

Wayman mentioned a Marine chopper, and I would imagine there was a lot more air power than that, though out of sight and not talked about. Maybe fighters lurking high above, in case any bozos looked liked they might violate the airspace restrictions.
Almost certainly. And I suspect there were Coast Guard vessels in line with the train moving down the Delaware River as well, but we couldn't see the river as there's a very thin line of trees between the NEC and the shore.
They also had Coast Guard vessels at all major water crossings like the Gunpowder River, and a notice was sent out a few days ago telling all shippers that there would be no movements allowed on the water during a five or six hour window without prior authorization. And you needed a pretty powerful reason to even get authorization.

I just checked the Edgewood rollby, and there were nine Amfleet I's, the third, fifth, seventh, and eighth were cafes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was all corridor traffic suspended between PHL and WAS?
All I know is that all corridor traffic between here and the bathroom was suspended while the train was being shown, and during speeches. As a regular commuter to the bathroom I was willing to endure the temporary inconvenience.

I just checked the Edgewood rollby, and there were nine Amfleet I's, the third, fifth, seventh, and eighth were cafes.
Sigh. My eyes, my memory, or both are failing me today :blink:

I can see it now...

"I'd like to order a veggie burger."

"I'm sorry, sir, we're all out. Try two cars down."

[two cars down]

[two cars down]

[two cars down]

"Here you go. Would you like anything to drink with that?"

"Sure, I'll have an apple juice."

"I'm sorry, sir, we're all out. Try two cars up."

[two cars up]

"Hi, I got my veggie burger, but they were out of apple juice. Do you have any?"

"I'm sorry, sir, we're all out. Try two cars up."

etc. :lol:

Just as an FYI, the lead P42 unit was number 44, since Obama will be the 44nd President. The second P42 was number 120, meant to represent the date of his inauguration; 1/20.

And yes, corridor traffic at least southbound was suspended or delayed. I believe that limited northbound traffic was allowed. Additionally the station at Wilmington was closed for several hours for travel.

One video of the inspection train, Obama's train, and the chase train can be found

on Youtube.

Not that I would ever doubt a thing that Alan says, but, I thought I heard that he's the 44th President?

Not that I would ever doubt a thing that Alan says, but, I thought I heard that he's the 44th President?
I was just about to say. Beat me to it, stlouielady.
Duh! :blink: :eek:

Sorry, you should be glad that you doubted me. It's just been too long a day out riding with the gang on the OTOL fest. Indeed Obama will be the 44th President and the engine chosen was #44, not 42. Guess I was on a roll with the P42, being #42.

Once I correct my original post, I'm going to sleep.

LOL!! I was starting to doubt what I heard earlier. You can delete my earlier post, and this one too, if you'd like (especially since the earlier one doesn't make much sense now)...

It's just been too long a day out riding with the gang on the OTOL fest.
Excuses, excuses. :D

Get a good night's rest, Alan. I understand that Sunday you're gonna have to deal with that little rat Long Train Runnin'.

EDIT: Alan amended his post to say that Barack Obama will be the "44nd" president. The spelling, grammar, punctuation, usage, and style police are ever-present. Haul him away. HAHA!!

Great pictures. And great info in all the posts. Thanks, everyone. I'm stiff from sitting in front of the TV all day yesterday watching. They didn't show the lead train and rear train, so until now, I didn't know they existed.

Try 2 P42s,9 amfleets, and the Georgia 300
Whoops, you're right. Here's the full parade consist:

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

[fifteen minutes]

Black helicopter

[five minutes]

P42 44

P42 120

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Georgia 300

[one minute]

large Marine helicopter

[fifteen minutes]

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach

Beech Grove

Both Amcafes in Obama's train had the new "Northeast ® Regional" logo in the center of the car.

Unfortunately, we'd already started walking back across the bridge to the parking lot when the tail train came through (with Beech Grove), so I didn't get any photos of it. It's possible one of the four coaches in the tail train was an Amcafe; all I'm sure of is that it was four Amfleets and BG, since we were further away by that point and it was going by at speed and I was mostly thinking "ooh, Beech Grove!" while my friends were saying "what the heck is that?!" :)
P42 #54

P42 #100

HERITAGE Dorm

Metroliner Coach (Pan on top)

P42 #44

P42 #120

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Georgia 300

P42 #71

P42 #77

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Beach Grove

I surprised not to see 9800.

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

[fifteen minutes]

Black helicopter

[five minutes]

P42 44

P42 120

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Georgia 300

[one minute]

large Marine helicopter

[fifteen minutes]

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach

Beech Grove

Both Amcafes in Obama's train had the new "Northeast ® Regional" logo in the center of the car.

Unfortunately, we'd already started walking back across the bridge to the parking lot when the tail train came through (with Beech Grove), so I didn't get any photos of it. It's possible one of the four coaches in the tail train was an Amcafe; all I'm sure of is that it was four Amfleets and BG, since we were further away by that point and it was going by at speed and I was mostly thinking "ooh, Beech Grove!" while my friends were saying "what the heck is that?!" :)
P42 #54

P42 #100

HERITAGE Dorm

P42 #44

P42 #120

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Georgia 300

P42 #71

P42 #77

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Beach Grove

Are you sure that heritage dorm was actually a dorm? It looked a little more like the Pacific Command car

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

[fifteen minutes]

Black helicopter

[five minutes]

P42 44

P42 120

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Georgia 300

[one minute]

large Marine helicopter

[fifteen minutes]

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach

Beech Grove

P42 #54

P42 #100

HERITAGE Dorm

P42 #44

P42 #120

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Georgia 300

P42 #71

P42 #77

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Beach Grove

that was the order up north, I saw the train crossing the Susquehanna then drove ahead and caught it as it entered Baltimore

and it was as you say, although in the ten minutes or so i was in Harve de Grace after the train I did not see the follower train. Not sure how far back it was at that point.

when the train approached Baltimore, (Orangeville) the pilot train was not there and the trail train with Beech Grove was in the lead about 5 minutes before the Obama train.

also I saw no watercraft on the Suquehanna not civilian nor military. none. which I thought strange. police at both ends but on land. Also saw a third helecopter a White one with no markings.

Bob

PS a bit of trivia, the engine pulling #50 that Traveler and I got stuck on in Prince WV back in October was the #44

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

[fifteen minutes]

Black helicopter

[five minutes]

P42 44

P42 120

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amcafe

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach

Georgia 300

[one minute]

large Marine helicopter

[fifteen minutes]

P42

P42

Amfleet coach

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach (?)

Amfleet coach

Beech Grove

P42 #54

P42 #100

HERITAGE Dorm

P42 #44

P42 #120

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Cafe

Amfleet Coach

Georgia 300

P42 #71

P42 #77

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Coach

Amfleet Cafe

Beach Grove

Are you sure that heritage dorm was actually a dorm? It looked a little more like the Pacific Command car

Lets clear this up, the first train included the 10020, the Pacific Command. This was a former crewdorm for a few years before being turned into a Amtrak business car. The first train also included the 10002, the Corridor Clipper. The Corridoe Clipper (I think) was a former Metroliner (correct me if I'm wrong) was completely rebuilt. If I got that wrong, then it was an Amfleet I.

The Obama train included 3 cafe cars, including two with the Northeast Regional logos on them. Infact, I might have been in the same cafe car as Obama and Biden were in :eek: .The train also included 6 coaches. Wow, imagine if engine 44 (referring to access bob's post) broke down!

The third train included 4 coaches, a Northeast Regional painted cafe, and 10001, the Beech Grove.

cpamtfan-Peter

Lets clear this up, the first train included the 10020, the Pacific Command. This was a former crewdorm for a few years before being turned into a Amtrak business car. The first train also included the 10002, the Corridor Clipper. The Corridoe Clipper (I think) was a former Metroliner (correct me if I'm wrong) was completely rebuilt. If I got that wrong, then it was an Amfleet I.
The Obama train included 3 cafe cars, including two with the Northeast Regional logos on them. Infact, I might have been in the same cafe car as Obama and Biden were in :eek: .The train also included 6 coaches. Wow, imagine if engine 44 (referring to access bob's post) broke down!

The third train included 4 coaches, a Northeast Regional painted cafe, and 10001, the Beech Grove.

cpamtfan-Peter
Wonder if Obama and Biden wandered back to the cafe car for a quick bite to eat on the way to WAS?

And yes, corridor traffic at least southbound was suspended or delayed. I believe that limited northbound traffic was allowed. Additionally the station at Wilmington was closed for several hours for travel.
Even with all that, it sure took a very long time for Amtrak to go from Philly to DC. Even longer than with Amtrak's usual delays. :D

Based on the news coverage they definitely spent some time in the Cafe Car. These cars and motors have probably gone under extensive overhaul. I can almost guarantee all had brand new cushions and carpet, plus new paint jobs. It definitely appeared as though the 44 and 120 had just been released from BG with new paint jobs, not surprising at all. Also noteworthy was the fact that the 54 is one of the few P-42's out there that has a camera mounted in the cab. That definitely was not unintentional. You can also pretty much guarantee that all three trains were being run by Road Foremen and Trainmasters, and that all the crew members went through VERY thorough background checks. Heck even for me to go work the Super Bowl next month I had to authorize an FBI background check to get my credentials.

If there was any doubt about funding for Amtrak, how about the plug that Joe Biden has been working with the media. Brian Williams on NBC just made about a 30 second comment regarding Amtrak and Joe Biden along with increased funding at 11:40 AM. Talk about a large audience to make that comment with. Maybe we will see change...

If there was any doubt about funding for Amtrak, how about the plug that Joe Biden has been working with the media. Brian Williams on NBC just made about a 30 second comment regarding Amtrak and Joe Biden along with increased funding at 11:40 AM. Talk about a large audience to make that comment with. Maybe we will see change...
WBZ (1030 AM in Boston, though it can be heard for quite some distance, especially at night) mentioned whitehouse.gov a minute or two ago, and one of the things on the front page is mention of the whistlestop tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back