Official 2012-13 Blackout Dates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TML

Service Attendant
This seems to have slipped below my radar, but I just found out that Amtrak has posted its official list of 2012-13 blackout dates on March 30, 2011:

February 17, 2012

February 20, 2012

April 5-6, 2012

April 9, 2012

May 25, 2012

August 31, 2012

September 3, 2012

October 5, 2012

November 20-21, 2012

November 24-26, 2012

December 20-23, 2012

December 26-30, 2012

January 2, 2013

I noticed several things:

-It amazes me that they're still blacking out only the front ends of Memorial Day & Columbus Day weekends.

-Instead of Easter Sunday, Maundy Thursday is now blacked out instead.

-Because July 4th falls on a Wednesday in 2012, there are no blackout dates associated with that particular holiday.

What's October 5, 2012?
huh.gif
That's usually around the time of The Gathering, right!
huh.gif
ohmy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Amtrak Blue. I was about to call Amtrak to change my CS leg from AGR to Paid.

That definately would have been a Wrong Turn!!

Thank you, Amtrak Blue. I was about to call Amtrak to change my CS leg from AGR to Paid.

That definately would have been a Wrong Turn!!
:hi: You're quite welcomed. I'd hate for anyone to make a wrong turn (especially if it costs $$). :eek:

But Penny may still make a wrong turn!
laugh.gif
That's why a bunch of us are riding up from LAX to SEA on the CS with her - just to make sure she gets on (and stays on) the right train!
mosking.gif

Thanks - Sometimes I need a little help from my friends. :lol:

BTW - a good way to avoid blackout dates is to become Select Plus!!!

BTW - a good way to avoid blackout dates is to become Select Plus!!!
True, Select+ does offer "rulebusters" - but they are DOUBLE the regular rate of redemption! (Thus a 3 zone bedroom award would be 100K, not 50K!
ohmy.gif
Too much for my blood!)
:eek: WOW, I had no idea the points were doubled. Thanks Dave for setting me straight. I guess Select Plus is not as great as I thought it was - but it is still pretty good.

Didn't realize that rule busters applied to LD sleeper travel either. Last check, they were only good for coach and Acela (J and F, go figure).

Edit - whoa...that's an old thread I bumped up. Oops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize that rule busters applied to LD sleeper travel either. Last check, they were only good for coach and Acela (J and F, go figure).
They don't. There is no such thing as a rule buster for sleepers. They are blacked out no matter what one's status.

They don't. There is no such thing as a rule buster for sleepers. They are blacked out no matter what one's status.
I don't believe there are Rule Buster awards for Acela, Special Route, or trips covering more than one zone either.

I just checked--rule busters are available for one-zone coach and business, NE zone coach and business, and Acela business and first.

I just checked--rule busters are available for one-zone coach and business, NE zone coach and business, and Acela business and first.
Are the Acela Rule Busters only available by phone? They do not show as a choice on the AGR website, while the others are shown.
At least for me, you need to log in and hit the Redeem tab to see them. When not logged in as a S+ member, I don't see them either.

Are the Acela Rule Busters only available by phone? They do not show as a choice on the AGR website, while the others are shown.
At least for me, you need to log in and hit the Redeem tab to see them. When not logged in as a S+ member, I don't see them either.
Poking around the AGR website, I did find the Acela Rule Buster awards, plus Rule Busters for two and three zone coach awards and two zone business class awards. Of course, I'm AGR Dirt (and will always be), so it is all a moot point for me.

Back