Oh Canada! or from Halifax to Vancouver....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobnjulie

Lead Service Attendant
Warning! It's going to be long.... I'm still working on it!

[SIZE=12pt]Canada Via Rail Trip Report[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So it was supposed to be a bucket list trip…. and it was more challenging and more wonderful than I could have imagined.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I always overbook and realized that when traveling with seniors that perhaps less is more. I learned to modify near the end and still ended up with a wonderful, priceless trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We woke up at 2:50 am in order to reach the airport for our 6 am flight out of SFO so we immediately started our trip off on the wrong foot – physically. The United flight was actually quite nice – Directv at our individual seats worked well but ear buds do not work well with our seniors so I finally got smart and let them use our headphones so that they could listen to a movie. Lots of issues with channel and volume controls but with me standing on the seat and leaning over to help, finally got the “kids” settled down. One funny mishap… my mother accidentally changed the channel during a crucial scene – and completely forgetting about wearing headphones – caused a VERY loud fuss. More standing on a seat got the channel corrected… whew![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I had asked and they agreed to the earlier morning flight so that we could have a longer stopover in Newark so that I could have a quick visit with my friend and her wonderful children. It worked out wonderfully and was a highlight of our trip. Newark has a great air train network and has food outside of security so that we were able to sit down and have an extended meal…. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The second leg was shorter but seemed longer since we were all running on fumes. We finally arrived at Halifax around 11:30. The walk is VERY long to the terminal and I finally gave in and settled in a wheelchair. They wheeled my group straight to the front – no line standing- and we were out of customs in a very quick time. I was confused about when to return the wheelchair and they said “Return it when you’re done.” I was wheeled over to the Alt Hotel – which is attached to the airport and was able to keep it until the next morning. How wonderful and thoughtful! It truly is a great airport! We loved our stay at the Alt Hotel. Beautiful but too short of a stay. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We got to keep our luggage cart and used it to wheel our luggage to the MetroX stop. They need exact change for the bus so we may have overpaid for four but can’t even imagine how much it would have cost us for a cab. Again, well worth the money and the stop is very convenient. The bus ride was quick and smooth. Now for a bump in the road: the one bus we needed only ran on the hour and I wanted to stop at Tim Horton’s for breakfast. The Tim Horton’s I thought we were going to go to was in a mall that was closed on Sunday! Eek…. So began a trek through a very chilly and blustery Halifax in search of a Tim Horton’s – much harder than could be imagined. I was fearful that my little ducks would organize a mutiny…. Luckily we found one and filled our tummies with warm food and some hot joe [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]J[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] We ended up just finishing the walk to the Halifax Railroad station. We checked our bags and had our other bags held. The seniors opted out of any more touring and snuggled in to the business lounge for a cat nap. We walked out to the boardwalk and enjoyed reading some of the history of Halifax. It’s a beautiful city and we were sad that we couldn’t explore more but due to lack of sleep/jet lag, we headed back and crashed in the business lounge. I was looking at my little troop , cat napping and thought “It’s only the first day and I’ve already killed my family!” and started giggling. That sent me scurrying to enjoy the harpist and flautist who were the performers for the train. Lovely atmosphere and set us up perfectly for an exciting departure. My husband finally queued up and got us the 1:30 for lunch. My advice? Utilize the golf cart if you are in doubt of your mobility. It’s a hike out to the train. We were very pleased with our bedroom with shower but I immediately ran back to the Park Car to video our departure from Halifax. After an on-time departure, we dropped the top bunks down and settled two of our party in for naps and the other two hiked back to the Park Car to enjoy the scenery as well as riding in a dome car! My mother disobeyed direct orders to not try to get down off the top bunk and had a bit of a tumble. Safety warning for newbies: Always come down facing the ladder. It’s the only safe and secure way to come down. She was well enough to walk down to lunch – which was yummy! After lunch, I got to have my share of naptime while my husband bonded with other passengers in the dome car. We let the “kids” continue sleeping while I walked the train after I woke up. Dinner was another enjoyable meal and then we all went to the dome car to try and spot moose. No wildlife but spectacular scenery and a lovely crowd. Bed and sleep were just wonderful. A side note about dinner: I had the soup and roll for dinner since I’d heard great things about it and was told to enjoy it since they were changing suppliers! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I woke up early and showered and headed for the wifi lounge to finalize our plans for Montreal when I realized that we were backing up! I started taking pictures and then realized I should be in the dome car so off I boogied about 8 cars to the dome car and dang if I didn’t get the engineer working with the other in backing up. Really a cool moment – even as the video will testify to how breathless I was! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A bit of a giggle! The dreaded omelet was on the menu and I forgot to warn my little ducks! I, of course, ordered the French toast which was yummy! My mother –ever so blunt – was very loud about wondering what the heck she was being served. Our delightful server responded that it was an omelet – but one that had been run over by a steam roller! I giggled over that line for a while! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We arrived on time in to Montreal and first checked in with the business lounge. They told us that we could use the lounge but that we would have to pay the $6 for checking our luggage for the day. We shed our load and off we went. We walked down just a few blocks and caught the Hop On Hop Off Tour of Montreal. I’d wanted to see Notre Dame and so we hopped off at that stop. It was a real hike up the hill and ended any more walking since our seniors were struggling. The church is so beautiful. I would have liked to have lingered some more but since the walking was taking much longer than anticipated, I moved us back to the bus stop in a timely manner. Since it started raining, we ended up in a closed coach but still managed to take plenty of pictures. Lots of beautiful sights and pretty extensive for a two hour tour. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We walked back to the lounge, grabbed McDonald’s, reclaimed our luggage and set our seniors in the lounge while we explored the station. Really interesting all the different shops – especially the food areas! Back together in the lounge, we again had a bit of a rest before our departure to Toronto. We decided to pay extra for business class and would highly recommend it! Wonderful service, great food. They couldn’t do enough for us. We got in to Toronto and were shocked to find out that there was no place to store our luggage! We had two redcaps: one pushed me in a wheelchair and one went to claim our luggage. We all met at the cab stand and had a delightful driver. Could he take us to our hotel so we could drop our luggage and then take us to Rogers Center so we could watch the Blue Jays game? No problems… no worries. A real gem! He took us to our hotel, waited for us to get the luggage in our hotel and then dropped us very close to our gate. I asked him about safety walking around Toronto and again no worries – no problems. We ran inside with our tickets in hand only to find that 2 hours in to the game, they were in the bottom of the 8th! We just stood and watched the final 3 outs and found out that the Toronto pitcher had a complete game shut out! Looks like SF Giants fans bring luck to the home teams! We were at least able to walk around the inside while trying to find the correct gate to exit and enjoy talking to the very friendly folks who work there. It’s a shame since it was a perfect night for baseball with the dome wide open! We ended up walking to our hotel – Hotel Victoria. It was a hike but since we’d been sitting all day and it was such a lovely night, I thought it was a nice night cap![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We’d planned on a late morning start which everyone enjoyed – except for yours truly – whose sleep was rudely interrupted by a 6 am alarm – which went off again 6 minutes later! After finally unplugging the stupid thing, dreamland was a thing of the past. Late breakfast at Tony Horton’s…[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Canada Via Rail Trip Report[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So it was supposed to be a bucket list trip…. and it was more challenging and more wonderful than I could have imagined.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I always overbook and realized that when traveling with seniors that perhaps less is more. I learned to modify near the end and still ended up with a wonderful, priceless trip.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We woke up at 2:50 am in order to reach the airport for our 6 am flight out of SFO so we immediately started our trip off on the wrong foot – physically. The United flight was actually quite nice – Directv at our individual seats worked well but ear buds do not work well with our seniors so I finally got smart and let them use our headphones so that they could listen to a movie. Lots of issues with channel and volume controls but with me standing on the seat and leaning over to help, finally got the “kids” settled down. One funny mishap… my mother accidentally changed the channel during a crucial scene – and completely forgetting about wearing headphones – caused a VERY loud fuss. More standing on a seat got the channel corrected… whew![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I had asked and they agreed to the earlier morning flight so that we could have a longer stopover in Newark so that I could have a quick visit with my friend and her wonderful children. It worked out wonderfully and was a highlight of our trip. Newark has a great air train network and has food outside of security so that we were able to sit down and have an extended meal…. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The second leg was shorter but seemed longer since we were all running on fumes. We finally arrived at Halifax around 11:30. The walk is VERY long to the terminal and I finally gave in and settled in a wheelchair. They wheeled my group straight to the front – no line standing- and we were out of customs in a very quick time. I was confused about when to return the wheelchair and they said “Return it when you’re done.” I was wheeled over to the Alt Hotel – which is attached to the airport and was able to keep it until the next morning. How wonderful and thoughtful! It truly is a great airport! We loved our stay at the Alt Hotel. Beautiful but too short of a stay. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We got to keep our luggage cart and used it to wheel our luggage to the MetroX stop. They need exact change for the bus so we may have overpaid for four but can’t even imagine how much it would have cost us for a cab. Again, well worth the money and the stop is very convenient. The bus ride was quick and smooth. Now for a bump in the road: the one bus we needed only ran on the hour and I wanted to stop at Tim Horton’s for breakfast. The Tim Horton’s I thought we were going to go to was in a mall that was closed on Sunday! Eek…. So began a trek through a very chilly and blustery Halifax in search of a Tim Horton’s – much harder than could be imagined. I was fearful that my little ducks would organize a mutiny…. Luckily we found one and filled our tummies with warm food and some hot joe [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]J[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] We ended up just finishing the walk to the Halifax Railroad station. We checked our bags and had our other bags held. The seniors opted out of any more touring and snuggled in to the business lounge for a cat nap. We walked out to the boardwalk and enjoyed reading some of the history of Halifax. It’s a beautiful city and we were sad that we couldn’t explore more but due to lack of sleep/jet lag, we headed back and crashed in the business lounge. I was looking at my little troop , cat napping and thought “It’s only the first day and I’ve already killed my family!” and started giggling. That sent me scurrying to enjoy the harpist and flautist who were the performers for the train. Lovely atmosphere and set us up perfectly for an exciting departure. My husband finally queued up and got us the 1:30 for lunch. My advice? Utilize the golf cart if you are in doubt of your mobility. It’s a hike out to the train. We were very pleased with our bedroom with shower but I immediately ran back to the Park Car to video our departure from Halifax. After an on-time departure, we dropped the top bunks down and settled two of our party in for naps and the other two hiked back to the Park Car to enjoy the scenery as well as riding in a dome car! My mother disobeyed direct orders to not try to get down off the top bunk and had a bit of a tumble. Safety warning for newbies: Always come down facing the ladder. It’s the only safe and secure way to come down. She was well enough to walk down to lunch – which was yummy! After lunch, I got to have my share of naptime while my husband bonded with other passengers in the dome car. We let the “kids” continue sleeping while I walked the train after I woke up. Dinner was another enjoyable meal and then we all went to the dome car to try and spot moose. No wildlife but spectacular scenery and a lovely crowd. Bed and sleep were just wonderful. A side note about dinner: I had the soup and roll for dinner since I’d heard great things about it and was told to enjoy it since they were changing suppliers! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I woke up early and showered and headed for the wifi lounge to finalize our plans for Montreal when I realized that we were backing up! I started taking pictures and then realized I should be in the dome car so off I boogied about 8 cars to the dome car and dang if I didn’t get the engineer working with the other in backing up. Really a cool moment – even as the video will testify to how breathless I was! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]A bit of a giggle! The dreaded omelet was on the menu and I forgot to warn my little ducks! I, of course, ordered the French toast which was yummy! My mother –ever so blunt – was very loud about wondering what the heck she was being served. Our delightful server responded that it was an omelet – but one that had been run over by a steam roller! I giggled over that line for a while! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We arrived on time in to Montreal and first checked in with the business lounge. They told us that we could use the lounge but that we would have to pay the $6 for checking our luggage for the day. We shed our load and off we went. We walked down just a few blocks and caught the Hop On Hop Off Tour of Montreal. I’d wanted to see Notre Dame and so we hopped off at that stop. It was a real hike up the hill and ended any more walking since our seniors were struggling. The church is so beautiful. I would have liked to have lingered some more but since the walking was taking much longer than anticipated, I moved us back to the bus stop in a timely manner. Since it started raining, we ended up in a closed coach but still managed to take plenty of pictures. Lots of beautiful sights and pretty extensive for a two hour tour. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We walked back to the lounge, grabbed McDonald’s, reclaimed our luggage and set our seniors in the lounge while we explored the station. Really interesting all the different shops – especially the food areas! Back together in the lounge, we again had a bit of a rest before our departure to Toronto. We decided to pay extra for business class and would highly recommend it! Wonderful service, great food. They couldn’t do enough for us. We got in to Toronto and were shocked to find out that there was no place to store our luggage! We had two redcaps: one pushed me in a wheelchair and one went to claim our luggage. We all met at the cab stand and had a delightful driver. Could he take us to our hotel so we could drop our luggage and then take us to Rogers Center so we could watch the Blue Jays game? No problems… no worries. A real gem! He took us to our hotel, waited for us to get the luggage in our hotel and then dropped us very close to our gate. I asked him about safety walking around Toronto and again no worries – no problems. We ran inside with our tickets in hand only to find that 2 hours in to the game, they were in the bottom of the 8th! We just stood and watched the final 3 outs and found out that the Toronto pitcher had a complete game shut out! Looks like SF Giants fans bring luck to the home teams! We were at least able to walk around the inside while trying to find the correct gate to exit and enjoy talking to the very friendly folks who work there. It’s a shame since it was a perfect night for baseball with the dome wide open! We ended up walking to our hotel – Hotel Victoria. It was a hike but since we’d been sitting all day and it was such a lovely night, I thought it was a nice night cap![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We’d planned on a late morning start which everyone enjoyed – except for yours truly – whose sleep was rudely interrupted by a 6 am alarm – which went off again 6 minutes later! After finally unplugging the stupid thing, dreamland was a thing of the past. Late breakfast at Tim Horton’s…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]More later..... [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What an adventure, and still to come, the Loooooong trip across the shield, the praries and the rockies on a Budd equipped train!

Hope Timmy's doesn't sue the people running Tony's in Toronto! LOL

Can't wait for the next chapter!

[SIZE=12pt]Feathers ruffled and smoothed over family stuff and overtiredness, we bid adieu to Hotel Victoria and rolled our luggage to Union Station. Free baggage hold was great as was the business lounge where we popped in for a few minutes to orientate ourselves then we walked up the block and caught the Hop On Hop Off tour by City Sightseeing. Let me add that Toronto was boiling hot. I was not prepared for how hot it was. We sat on the top of the double decker bus for a bit but when we arrived back at the starting point, my husband ran and got a cold water and we retreated to the lower level. It was a really extensive tour and had great guides. I took note of the many other places I’d like to return to but that is for another day. In the meantime, we hopped back off at the Union Station stop, and the kind crew at the baggage area allowed us to rummage through our luggage so we could change. A quick pit stop at the business lounge and off we went to the Skywalk to the CN Tower. I really enjoyed the Skywalk and could imagine how amazing it would be in winter. Ah fantasy! I’d made reservations for 4:30 for dinner at the 360 Restaurant on top of the CN Tower. It was beautiful, a lovey special treat to help with a belated celebration of my husband’s birthday and our 10th anniversary. My mother and step-dad really enjoyed watching the planes land and one fellow was practicing landings…. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After dinner and wonderful dessert, we took the elevator down to the viewing level. My husband walked on the glass floor, as did I but he was much braver. A couple of seconds were more than enough for me ;) We also went outside to get blown to bits! A lovely time! We went back down, parked the seniors and went across the street to foam a bit at the engines and roundhouse. A quick walk back on the Skywalk brought us back to Union Station to retrieve our carry-on bags and a delayed Canadian. Mass organized chaos finally had everyone loaded (with some drama) and the train moved out around 11:53 pm….. Farewell Toronto! We’ll be back![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I sent my husband to investigate the Park Car but was too tired so after waking up at 6 a.m. (grrrrrr) walked back to the Park Car to investigate myself. It was nice but felt so modern…. I didn’t like the couches. It felt like it lost a lot of seating. On the other hand, as a reward for getting up out of bed, I did spot a moose! I ran back to tell my husband but he was more interested in sleeping, so I retreated to our closer dome until we were ready for showers and breakfast. I loved the water…. So much water to see, to look at. As a Californian in the midst of a drought, I can tell you it’s a real joy to see. We actually maintained our two hour delay without any more loss of time. We saw a work train and also the 4 oil tankers that were off on the right hand side. I tried to take a nap after lunch but couldn’t sleep so I took a tour of all the domes. It was quite a trek but fun and really enjoyable seeing them in their different guises. I got off on one stop but the only dome that was not freezing was the Park Car so I sat in there often the first day and mostly just shivered the day away. We encountered rain off and on…. But a lovely first day and wonderful sunset.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Another early morning rise for me and ready for the Winnipeg Day Tour. Unfortunately since we’d held the two hour delay, the tour was going to be cut short. Since we’d already done 2 tours on buses, I made the decision to move to Plan B…. a quick shopping trip to The Forks and a visit to the Railway Museum. I bought a beautiful pair of mukluks from Teeka’s and gloves. Love them and they were quite the hit on the train! The stairs leading up to the museum looked daunting but were actually not too steep and our party managed to climb up and enjoy the exhibits (at a very quick pace!).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The train departed on time and we waited for our 1:30 lunch. After lunch, I finally settled down for a nice, long nap! The rest of the day was spent staring at the beautiful prairie and enjoying the lecture from our great activities car person, Holly. Time after dinner was spent in the warm(er) Park Car watching yet another amazing sunset and to a nice warm bed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I was missing wifi and found out that Edmonton had it… oh no! Yep, another very early morning found me awake well before the train pulled in but I was able to disembark and get some pictures uploaded. The station was not impressive but had the wifi password posted so all was good. Edmonton is not really worth getting up for otherwise. I was able to get back to our car and found a surprise! The Panorama Car had been added. I tried to lay back down and sent my husband to investigate. Since it was brunch day, I decided to indulge in just pastries and peanut butter from the activities car and stake out a seat in the Panoramic Car since the seats were more comfortable and I wasn’t in the mood to battle for seats in the dome car. Rail work delayed us – roughly two hours. I was worried that we would miss all the sights but my fears were for naught. As we discovered the first river, I began to get really happy. The first mountain was so impressive and then the delights kept coming and coming. It was the perfect last full day. I would rank it even higher than the Zephyr segment between Colorado and Salt Lake….. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The final day was arrival day with one last mountain sighting as we followed a river to Vancouver. We arrived in Vancouver early, paid $6 to store our luggage and away we went. Since I had planned on a late arrival in to Vancouver, I hadn’t planned anything. A quick search on a very slow wifi decided it for us: away to the top of Vancouver Lookout and a search some of my new addiction: Two teddy bear peanut butter! The SkyTrain was very easy to find – thanks to a fellow Amtrak United member! And actually quite easy to use. We did manage to get completely turned around at the Waterfront stop but found the Vancouver Lookout. Again another warm day so the air conditioning felt wonderful! I asked about grocery stores and was pointed to one four blocks away so I arranged to meet up with my group at a brew pub and away I went! It was almost perfect except that in my excited state, I left with no debit card or cash! A scramble found $10 Canadian and $30 US so I figured I could beg! I ended up being able to use my US dollars and they even gave me a good exchange rate so I was able to buy an additional jar of my peanut butter![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We found each other and had lunch and then one last thing on my list: Timbits! I bought 3 and then we returned to the station, reclaimed our luggage and took the SkyTrain to Vancouver Airport. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It was a great trip and one I would highly recommend. We will be return so watch out Canada![/SIZE]

Glad you enjoyed the report and photos! People look at me like I'm crazy but a) I really love pictures to capture an experience and b) love being able to share tidbits to help others that follow! You will have a wonderful time just dress in layers!

Great trip report... reminded me of my own ride on the Canadian a few years back. Didn't see any moose, but did see a small bear which was quite a thrill, as we don't have them in the UK.

It is raining here in Nottingham today, so drought hit California sounds a good exchange, but just for a visit... !

Thanks again,

Ed :cool:

Hi Ed!

I did get to see a bear along the tracks! The engineer spotted it and I was walking and heard an employee's walkie talkie so I looked and there he was! Pretty cool that the engineer does that!

It's dreary here today and just had my very quick navy shower..... and miss my veggie garden.

Another great report from Beautiful Canada! And great pics too! As many times as I've been there and ridden the Canadian, I wish I was leaving tomorrow!

Next time consider riding the Starlight and Cascades to Vancouver, then take the train East to Toronto in the Winter! ( cheaper, not as crowded,some different scenery in daylight, and a Winter Wonderland!)

When I rode last Feb. as a Birthday present to myself ( the Big 70!), we saw lots of Moose and Mountain Goats grazing on the tracks during the layover in Jasper!

Hope y'all get some of our rain, the forecast shows storms from the Pacific heading your way this week!

Lovely photos and delightful trip report--thanks! I love Tim Horton's coffee--I got to try it when they expanded into New England and was sad when they left. :( I don't understand the omelet. If they can make gorgeous/delicious food in general on Canadian trains, why can't they make a good omelet?

Oh, yes, besides the food, the trains and the scenery looked pretty good, too! A bucket list trip for the older folks as well, and all the effort you put into it was worthwhile. :)

Glad everyone is enjoying the virtual trip! Timekeeping was perfect too since it looks it's a mess right now!

We were really happy with the food overall, even on the Ocean. I had the trout on the Canadian and it was really fishy... but they were really great and I had the portabella mushroom as a replacement but that "omelette" - so sad! Perhaps if they sold it as 2 flattened eggs? The name implies yummy fillings.... hence the major disappointment.

Now we learn you played the Eva Marie Saint roll on the Canadian with your hubby as Cary Grant! "How's the Trout? Very trouty, but quite good!". LOL

People in the Maritimes aren't really Canadians, they're "Newfies" and eat differently, hence the eggs posing as an omelette!

But they do have a "Timmy's" in every town! Smiles

People in the Maritimes aren't really Canadians, they're "Newfies" and eat differently, hence the eggs posing as an omelette!
Hi Jim......I’m going to have to correct you on this one. Newfoundlanders (Newfies) are not Maritimers.

Newfoundland* is one of the Atlantic Provinces......but not one of the Maritime Provinces which are New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

(*Newfoundland is officially the Province of Newfoundland & Labrador and wasn’t even part of Canada until 1949 but they're all Canadians now)

I’m a Maritimer and like to think I eat the same a most other Canadians. I’ve had a very good omelette in VIA Business Class (also heated on-board)......don’t know why the Ocean’s has to be so different.

Guess my poor attempt @ humour didn't make it, so apologies to the Newfies and the Maritimers are in order!

My late wife, a Canadian from Thunderbay, and everyone I know in Canada,tells Newfie Jokes, they're the Poles,Aggies, etc. of Canada!

Back