One Day Trip on Empire Service Buffalo - Syracuse - Buffalo, 5/5/07

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
Took a one day trip with my mom (mother’s day gift to her) and spent the day in Syracuse. Business Class both ways. Honestly, I really like it. Since you’re at the front of the cafe car there is virtually no people traffic, it’s quiet (people-wise), but louder in that you can hear the engine more. Also, it’s nice to have the cafe right at your seat. I believe that they had the curtain up both ways which helps to block out the sounds of the microwave and the coolers closing. One thing to note, the food service attendant mentioned that it was against health code to mix your cream and sugar in the coffee at the counter. I wasn't going to anyways, but he saw me grab the cream and sugar and let me know. As a side note, the coffee now is really good. Its green mountain brand and it may not be Starbucks strong, but man, it was just good, smooth coffee.

Pretty uneventful ride, about 10 mins late out of Buffalo, but probably about 25 mins late into Syracuse. On the return was about the same, except we were about 30 mins late out of SYR and ~45 mins late into Buffalo. The Syracuse station is pretty new and while done on a budget (read-not fancy) it’s much nicer than either of the Buffalo stations. The high level platforms are nice too, but there is a big gap that the crew warns you about stepping over. They should have a lightweight board that they could throw over the gap.

Mike S.

Took a one day trip with my mom (mother’s day gift to her) and spent the day in Syracuse. Business Class both ways. Honestly, I really like it. Since you’re at the front of the cafe car there is virtually no people traffic, it’s quiet (people-wise), but louder in that you can hear the engine more. Also, it’s nice to have the cafe right at your seat. I believe that they had the curtain up both ways which helps to block out the sounds of the microwave and the coolers closing. One thing to note, the food service attendant mentioned that it was against health code to mix your cream and sugar in the coffee at the counter. I wasn't going to anyways, but he saw me grab the cream and sugar and let me know. As a side note, the coffee now is really good. Its green mountain brand and it may not be Starbucks strong, but man, it was just good, smooth coffee.
Pretty uneventful ride, about 10 mins late out of Buffalo, but probably about 25 mins late into Syracuse. On the return was about the same, except we were about 30 mins late out of SYR and ~45 mins late into Buffalo. The Syracuse station is pretty new and while done on a budget (read-not fancy) it’s much nicer than either of the Buffalo stations. The high level platforms are nice too, but there is a big gap that the crew warns you about stepping over. They should have a lightweight board that they could throw over the gap.

Mike S.
Thanks for the report.
How big is that gap? As a retired insurance adjuster, those things are a claim waiting to happen!

Its not huge, but not small either. A small foot could easily slip in there. Probably on the order of what the LIRR has where all those people keep getting hurt. That being said, I would think that the gap is better than a non-highlevel platform where you need to walk down from the train. Those stairs are surprisingly steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back