Online Reservation Form VS Calling an Amtrak Agent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to book a multi-city, one-way trip from Denver to Newark, NJ (stop over at Chicago and DC) this summer. I am traveling with my 10 year old niece (her first train) and am looking to book a roomette for both the Den - Chi and Chi - Was stretch. I read many of the topics on here and it seems that there are a lot of things to think about - buckets, room assignment, etc. My question is, in terms of an overall best deal (not just monetarily but experience wise as well), does it make a difference if I just use Amtrak's online reservation form or if I call an Amtrak agent? Thanks in advance.

No difference whatsoever. There really isn't that much to think about (we may tend to obsess about some of the details), just book as early as you can to get the best price.

The only advantage of speaking with an agent vs reserving online is that online a computer assigns you "the next room in the bucket". So the next room could be on the lower level, when you prefer the upper level. You can't ask the computer for a specific room.

Also if you are reserving 2 or more rooms, the computer does not automatically assign (say) room 5 & 6. The next 2 rooms in that bucket may be (for example) room 4 in one car and room 13 in the next car!

True, you can call an agent later to see if you can change rooms. But if you did talk to an agent first, you would not have to call later.

But if you did book with an agent, it would not show up in "Your account" on the website. To cancel, you would have to call - you can't do it online!

There are also certain combinations of discounts and Thruway bus segments that can't be booked online. For example, I wanted Winslow, AZ to Santa Fe, NM with a AAA discount, but the Lamy-Santa Fe bus segment doesn't take the discount, so the online engine tells you to call an agent. They can apparently apply the discount by segment, which you can't do online -- it's all or nothing.

I'm looking to book a multi-city, one-way trip from Denver to Newark, NJ (stop over at Chicago and DC) this summer. I am traveling with my 10 year old niece (her first train) and am looking to book a roomette for both the Den - Chi and Chi - Was stretch. I read many of the topics on here and it seems that there are a lot of things to think about - buckets, room assignment, etc. My question is, in terms of an overall best deal (not just monetarily but experience wise as well), does it make a difference if I just use Amtrak's online reservation form or if I call an Amtrak agent? Thanks in advance.
I've observed folks express compelling reasons for booking by speaking with an agent on the phone. I haven't seen anyone sharing a compelling reasons for booking on line. Personally, I don't think that it appearing in "MY ACCOUNT" is a compelling reason to book on line.

Does anyone have a compelling reason to book on line that they're willing to share? <_<

Does anyone have a compelling reason to book on line that they're willing to share? <_<
I don't know that it is compelling, but the phone agents don't always send a confirmation e-mail when they say they did, and the e-mail (when it does get sent accurately) doesn't have a bar code on it like the e-mail confirmation online purchasers get. The missing bar code is probably smart for hand-input e-mails as I wouldn't want that sent to someone else who might pick up and use my ticket.

I've observed folks express compelling reasons for booking by speaking with an agent on the phone. I haven't seen anyone sharing a compelling reasons for booking on line. Personally, I don't think that it appearing in "MY ACCOUNT" is a compelling reason to book on line.

Try the cost of an international phone call :huh: .

And booking online is so easy to cancel or change.

This offer:

At 25% off, it’s travel made simply affordable. From now until March 31, 2010, when you travel aboard the Pacific Surfliner and San Joaquin trains, you’ll enjoy all the amenities of Amtrak California for an additional 25% off our already low fares. Travel to San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Yosemite, Fresno, Los Angeles, Sacramento or any of our other convenient destinations and receive 25% off, just for traveling. It’s that easy. To book your next trip, visit Amtrak.com, remember to reference discount code V611 to receive the 25% discount. This is an exclusive internet only special offer, 3 days advance reservations required. Blackouts apply on the following dates: February 12, 2010 and February 15, 2010. Offer not combinable.

I always book online whenever I can for a few reasons.

1) It is faster and easier than getting an agent on the phone. And with Select Plus status I avoid Julie and go right to an agent when I call, yet doing it online is still faster.

2) I find half the time when I do have to use an agent, they make a mistake.

3) It's easier to cancel.

4) I'm guaranteed getting the barcode to print my tickets with.

5) It costs Amtrak less money.

I think you need to book by phone if you want to pick up the tickets from a station that's not the start of the journey.

I wanted to get a ticket from Yosemite Lodge to Seattle (bus; San Joaquin; Coast Starlight) but you can't book that on-line as there's no machine in Yosemite to pick it up from. What I wanted to do was pick the ticket up from Merced on the way out, but you can't do that on-line. I believe from reading the forum you can do this by calling an agent. In the end I just booked the ticket from Merced and paid the bus driver on the day so it all worked out fine. I probably could've called in and got the bus added or something; but TBH that didn't occur to me.

People from outside the US (and inside it for that matter) - I believe you can call 'Julie' free with Skype; even if you don't have any skype credit. You'll need a headset on your PC of course.

Generally I'd rather book on-line - I don't know if you can book by phone 24/7; but you can online (which is handy for us in different time zones) and the tickets get stored on the 'my reservations' bit on the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer booking online, but sometimes I need to call an agent when the computer does not offer me the connection I want when traveling from Miami to Boston. I have started taking Roomettes for that trip and the northbound journey makes me connect (via online booking) in Washington, DC. I prefer to take the sleeper all the way to New York Penn and then change there to catch a regional train to Boston. No problem...when I call an agent they are able to route me with a change in NYP instead of WAS. On the southbound journey, the computer automatically routes me through NYP with a change of trains there so I just book it online.

I just checked and both of my reservations (one via online, one via agent) have the barcode on the reservation summary.

I prefer booking online, but sometimes I need to call an agent when the computer does not offer me the connection I want when traveling from Miami to Boston. I have started taking Roomettes for that trip and the northbound journey makes me connect (via online booking) in Washington, DC. I prefer to take the sleeper all the way to New York Penn and then change there to catch a regional train to Boston. No problem...when I call an agent they are able to route me with a change in NYP instead of WAS. On the southbound journey, the computer automatically routes me through NYP with a change of trains there so I just book it online.
I just checked and both of my reservations (one via online, one via agent) have the barcode on the reservation summary.
For the issue mentioned in your post, just use the Multi-City function and you can force the northbound connection in NY, instead of the automatic connection in DC.

The one drawback to the Multi-City function can be that it is sometimes possible to book a connection that isn't guaranteed. But that is not the case in the above example. It's still a guaranteed connection.

I also always book online when I can.

1. I can see all of my trips in my account, and thus I can easily switch between tabs on my computer with the AGR site tomake sure I have gotten credit for my trips.

2. I can cancel trips with the click of a button.

3. I don't have to talk to anyone.

4. It's faster.

5. My email confirmation has the bar code.

The web is the way of the future - if only amtrak had a system where you could book AGR rewards witha sleeper on the internet or let you choose your bedroom/roomette assignment.

Talking to people on the phone is so very 20th century.

For trips in sleeping cars, I usually price it on the internet, but then book it over the phone. I am kind of picky about roomette choices (I don't like downstairs, and I don't like the trans-dorm), so I want to know what room I'll get before I book it.

If the website displayed what room I'd get, I'd do it all online.

Aloha

Gee, considered myself a modern progressive guy, but in talking to people I guess I am an Old Fogie. :D
Kids! :rolleyes: Guess I too am almost dead since the purpose of the telephone was to be able TO TALK WITH OTHER PEOPLE! What is the point of having a phone if you never use it except to text! Guess the next big injury plauge will be injured thumbs and fingers from all the people who dont know how to talk to others! :eek: How are they gonna get a job if they cant talk during the interview? :blink:

For trips in sleeping cars, I usually price it on the internet, but then book it over the phone. I am kind of picky about roomette choices (I don't like downstairs, and I don't like the trans-dorm), so I want to know what room I'll get before I book it.
If the website displayed what room I'd get, I'd do it all online.
You could always book it online then if you dislike the roomette assigned, call in to see if they will change it with no price change (I have done this many times).

Or you could cancel it online and then call in to book.

Aloha

Gee, considered myself a modern progressive guy, but in talking to people I guess I am an Old Fogie. :D
Kids! :rolleyes: Guess I too am almost dead since the purpose of the telephone was to be able TO TALK WITH OTHER PEOPLE! What is the point of having a phone if you never use it except to text! Guess the next big injury plauge will be injured thumbs and fingers from all the people who dont know how to talk to others! :eek: How are they gonna get a job if they cant talk during the interview? :blink:
I'm actually not a kid, but thanks. I am 30. My point is that there are many much faster ways to communicate other than talking on the phone. And certainly more effective ways to communicate - we are ALL using an internet message board to communicate just fine. Of course talking is still very important - my entire professional career is built around talking with people and building relationships. But I think you will find very many people in my age bracket that hate talking on the phone. I would consider myself right on the edge of gen x/gen y. But talking on the phone to complete a business transaction, such as purchasing an amtrak ticket, is not effecient nor the most effective means of communication in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

I'm actually not a kid, but thanks. I am 30. My point is that there are many much faster ways to communicate other than talking on the phone. And talking is very important - my entire professional career is built around talking with people and building relationships. But I think you will find very many people in my age bracket that hate talking on the phone. I would consider myself right on the edge of gen x/gen y.
Actually I was using a little humour mixed with sarcasm to make a point, nothing personal but seriously I feel sorry for people that say they hate talking on the phone with the exception of call center employees! I realize that high tech is wonderful etc. but one of the joys of train travel, and life, is talking with others and getting their stories! It's the essence of life to me but to each his own! ;)

For the issue mentioned in your post, just use the Multi-City function and you can force the northbound connection in NY, instead of the automatic connection in DC.

The one drawback to the Multi-City function can be that it is sometimes possible to book a connection that isn't guaranteed. But that is not the case in the above example. It's still a guaranteed connection.
Alan, thanks for clearing that up. Funny you mention it...getting a guaranteed connection was exactly my reason for calling and not doing a multi-city booking.

How do you know when an online multi-city booking will be guaranteed? Is it just applicable to travel on the NEC?

Chris

I'm not a youngster, nor am I an old fogie :p , and most of my jobs have been public contact (including some VERY public contact). I enjoy talking to people on the train (and even some AU members that I've met on the train :D ), but personally I would rather use the internet than talk on the phone.

I do have a cell phone (it's actually combined with others on a family plan) but I think the most I used one time was 200 minutes! Most months, it's more like 40-50 minutes a month!

I'm not a youngster, nor am I an old fogie :p , and most of my jobs have been public contact (including some VERY public contact). I enjoy talking to people on the train (and even some AU members that I've met on the train :D ), but personally I would rather use the internet than talk on the phone.
I agree. While I do enjoy talking on the phone when wanting to have an in depth conversation with someone, I always prefer the internet over the phone for ordering and booking things. Partly because it's faster, but mostly because the responsibility for any errors or mistakes lies completely with me. If I booked it online, and it's booked wrong, I know I'm the one to blame. On a trip/purchase with multiple options, I also find it very helpful to be able to have all my options displayed in front of me, rather than having them read to me.

I also tend to much prefer to conduct brief business by e-mail. I find having a written record very helpful for reference in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back