ORD to Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to travel on the Blue Line for work. Seeing people with suitcases is No Big Deal, even during rush hour. Everyone knows that line goes to O'Hare, and everyone expects to see luggage.

The polite travelers either put their suitcase on their lap, if possible, or tuck it as far out of the way as possible. Sometimes, though, people have a large suitcase, and there's simply nowhere to put it. In that case, people just stand next to it like it's another person taking up space. If someone has their suitcase on a seat, you simply ask if they can please move it so you can sit down.

I see no point to discouraging someone to use the Blue Line, especially since it's only $5 to ride from O'Hare to the Loop. I'd much rather tuck my suitcase next to me just like everyone else than do the hop-skip-jump to the Metra, especially considering Metra's schedule. If you aren't traveling during "rush hour", you wait anywhere from 2-4 hours for the next train. The Blue Line departs every 4-10 minutes and is easily accessed from Terminal 2.

If you don't want to haul luggage up the stairs at Clinton, you do what I mentioned in my first post: get off at Jackson, which is an accessible station, and hop on the #151 bus on Adams St. Easy peasy.
I got off at Jackson and walked. It's a bit of a walk, maybe 5-6 blocks??, but it was doable for me with what I had.
Yeah, it's not a bad walk at all, but some people who don't want to carry a suitcase up a flight of stairs don't want to drag it 5-6 blocks either. ;) I'm trying to please everyone, I suppose.
I'd rather roll it 5-6 blocks than carry it up the stairs knowing the stairs could be long. But, yeah, the bus is definitely an option. I used it, with your instructions, to go from Union Station to the Hostel with my bags.

The advantage of the METRA is that it arrives at Union Station, so you are already at the station. At ORD you just take the People Mover from your Terminal to the end, board the shuttle bus, get dropped at the METRA station, board the train.

The advantage of the METRA is that it arrives at Union Station, so you are already at the station. At ORD you just take the People Mover from your Terminal to the end, board the shuttle bus, get dropped at the METRA station, board the train.
Right, but as stated, the times vary wildly. During rush hour, you're golden. If your flight arrives during non-peak periods, you can wait 2-4 hours for the next Metra train.

I'd much rather hop on the L and walk a couple blocks to Union Station than sit around at O'Hare for 2-4 hours. :p

I've walked it alone, at night, many times, with and without luggage. There's quite a bit of pedestrian traffic and vehicle traffic in that area, especially during "waking hours" (7 a.m. to 10 p.m.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing the opposite, In February I am taking Amtrak from HBG - PBG - CHI Union Station, walking south the 300 yards to the Clinton Station (Under the Freeway) taking the ORD Blue Line Train till Cumberland, and then walking the 1/4 mile to my Hotel. I am also dragging 1 large Suitcase, wearing 1 backpack, and using a cain... so this should be fun... its safe enough, the walk to and from the Clinton entrance to Union Station is quick and should pose no problems.

Best wishes and above all else, have fun. There are a lot of You tune videos of taking the Blue Line day and night to and from ORD, you can see many people with backpacks, large bags, suitcases of all sizes in these videos on board with no problems. it seems people with large suitcases try and sit in the corners of the train cabs, to keep out of the way of others.

Let us know how it goes... I will be posting my trip in Feb, and just hope its not too full of snow, like this last one. Had 24" in the front yard and 28" in the back...

Admiral

USN

There's an assumption being made by some that climbing stairs and lugging suitcases is doable by all. Unfortunately, it's not. I'm not even sure if the CTA has any stations that have an elevator or escalator. I've been out of the area for 15 years. I used to live in Blue Island, so up the stairs to the LaSalle St. station was my route. Can't do that anymore, unfortunately.

There's an assumption being made by some that climbing stairs and lugging suitcases is doable by all. Unfortunately, it's not. I'm not even sure if the CTA has any stations that have an elevator or escalator. I've been out of the area for 15 years. I used to live in Blue Island, so up the stairs to the LaSalle St. station was my route. Can't do that anymore, unfortunately.
As was mentioned a couple of times, the Jackson station has an elevator. This is the one I used thanks to the advice of AUers.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jackson/@41.8787066,-87.6294324,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xb7bf5ad59aa7af70

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_cta/accessibleservices.aspx#blue

I've mentioned the accessible station at Jackson at least twice.

Not really. When you come out of the Clinton station you have to take steps up to the street level. You will be on Clinton Street. Just walk about two to three blocks north and you will be at Union Station. If you walk the wrong direction you will pass a Holiday Inn on the left. Turn around and go back the other way.

I have found for this 74 year old, I would check on Super Shuttle from the airport to Union Station.

There are escalators and/or elevators at many CTA stations including both O'Hare and the Jackson stops. And the 5-6 block walk is not hard at all. I have done it, and I use a walker AND had luggage!

So when you get off at Clinton, are the signs directing you to union station?
No. Nor at the Clinton or Jackson station. Not in English, Spanish, nor in Polish, Russian, Arabic or Hindi, or Greek.

But if you haven't got your Google map handy, you can ask anybody you see at either station how to get to Union Station. English works best, but there's a good chance that any of the mentioned languages might work. The area around Union Station is, as Sarah and others have said -- is -- relatively safe, and polyglot. It's Chicago.

Don't be scared, ask for help.

I write this after helping a monoglot Spanish speaker navigate public transit near MSP -- we had no common words, but he showed me his Metro trip-plan in Spanish on his I-phone and I confirmed that the (spanish language) plan seemed good to get where he was going. He got on the right bus.

Chicagoans are no less helpful, they are not all gangsters, ask directions from anybody, maybe half will be helpful. :)

Maybe I'm completely mistaken, but I thought that there was signage of some sort on the mezzanine level pointing up the stairs in one direction (north) for Union Station.

Maybe I'm completely mistaken, but I thought that there was signage of some sort on the mezzanine level pointing up the stairs in one direction (north) for Union Station.
There is one wayfaring sign when going up the stairs. Unfortunately, that's about it for signage to Union Station.

There is one wayfaring sign when going up the stairs. Unfortunately, that's about it for signage to Union Station.
It's on the mezzanine level. This is a picture from SubwayNut's website:

clinton4.jpg

More pictures and info here: http://subwaynut.com/chicago/blue_line/clinton/

I love Sarah! She always gets to the heart of the matter!

The 151 bus will state a destination of Union Station on its digital sign board. If there are arrival time signs at your stop, it will also indicate the same.

You can buy a Ventra pass at the turnstiles; the machines accept cash and credit. It will cost $5 to travel from O'Hare to Union Station.

The trip will take about 45-50 minutes. Get off at Clinton and walk a couple blocks north to Union Station.

Clinton is not an accessible station, so if stairs are an issue, you'll want to get off at Jackson instead and hop on the #151 bus on Adams. That bus will take you straight to Union Station.
It's 99 steps up from Clinton to street level... don't ask me how I know that. Try doing that lugging an 8 year old.. and luggage. Next time I'm waiting for Metra, if I can find the ORD Metra station

You can buy a Ventra pass at the turnstiles; the machines accept cash and credit. It will cost $5 to travel from O'Hare to Union Station.

The trip will take about 45-50 minutes. Get off at Clinton and walk a couple blocks north to Union Station.

Clinton is not an accessible station, so if stairs are an issue, you'll want to get off at Jackson instead and hop on the #151 bus on Adams. That bus will take you straight to Union Station.
It's 99 steps up from Clinton to street level... don't ask me how I know that. Try doing that lugging an 8 year old.. and luggage. Next time I'm waiting for Metra, if I can find the ORD Metra station
I like how you assume I've never traveled to Chicago with kids.

Like I said in the post you quoted, you can get off at Jackson, which has an elevator. Then you're mere steps from a bus, which drops you off mere steps from the Amtrak station.

Or, you can wrangle a bored 8-year old for 2-4 hours if you land at O'Hare during Metra's "non-rush" period. You're also going to have to deal with shuttles.

If that works better for you and your kid, that's fine. I just feel it's in everyone's best interest to know Metra doesn't run nearly as often as the Blue Line. Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck at O'Hare for four hours, let alone with a kid.

I like how you assume I've never traveled to Chicago with kids.

Like I said in the post you quoted, you can get off at Jackson, which has an elevator. Then you're mere steps from a bus, which drops you off mere steps from the Amtrak station.

Or, you can wrangle a bored 8-year old for 2-4 hours if you land at O'Hare during Metra's "non-rush" period. You're also going to have to deal with shuttles.

If that works better for you and your kid, that's fine. I just feel it's in everyone's best interest to know Metra doesn't run nearly as often as the Blue Line. Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck at O'Hare for four hours, let alone with a kid.
Me, I take the Blue Line since it got to O'Hare, my kids have also when over 14years and on their own (and when under 10yrs and with me) . The frequent service wins for us. It's so much more frequent and cheaper. And like Sarah says there is an elevator at Jackson (which we never used).

BUT, if you have a bunch of luggage, or mobility problems, the infrequent Metra service might work well. Dunno. Never done it. Or a taxi. All depends on what you need.

<edit, and PS>

AND, if you ask me, it's WAY past time to get better accessibility at the Clinton station on the Blue line. "City that works" OK. But really, getting a decent elevator at Clinton on the Blue Line -- what -- a few dozen million? Chicago needs the tourists. So fix it!

<edit, and PS>

AND, if you ask me, it's WAY past time to get better accessibility at the Clinton station on the Blue line. "City that works" OK. But really, getting a decent elevator at Clinton on the Blue Line -- what -- a few dozen million? Chicago needs the tourists. So fix it!
I'd just note that Chicago/CTA has made far more progress in terms of accessibility than New York/MTA. And that there are over 15 CTA stations busier than Clinton that are not yet accessible either. Just looking at the Blue Line, the Division/Milwaukee subway station is more than twice as busy as Clinton/Congress.

Same here.

I have mobility issues, and the first time I had to get from Union Station to O'Hare, I did use the Clinton station. Luckily, I had fellow AU members with me at the time who assisted me getting my luggage and walker down the steps. Since then, I've used the Jackson station (and yes, I've used the elevator) and walked to/from Union Station - with luggage also. The walk is safe, easy and not bad at all.

Same here.

I have mobility issues, and the first time I had to get from Union Station to O'Hare, I did use the Clinton station. Luckily, I had fellow AU members with me at the time who assisted me getting my luggage and walker down the steps. Since then, I've used the Jackson station (and yes, I've used the elevator) and walked to/from Union Station - with luggage also. The walk is safe, easy and not bad at all.
That's good to know. Thanks for the good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back