ORD to Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as a local fellow, I find it befuddling that anyone thinks much about using Clinton to access Union Station, at all. I'll admit, I did it once in the last year. And once about twenty years ago (just to see what it was like over there on what was then considered the "wrong side of the tracks." There was a neat hot dog stand on an empty lot that is now a high rise or something.) But, while I've used Clinton numerous times to access Greyhound (so I know what a ***** it is with luggage....shoot that station is a ***** without luggage) I almost always opt for Jackson/Adams (or even walking or busing down Madison) to take 'a the train (as Lawrence Welk put it.)

I'd like to take the Metra train to O'Hare sometime (just for the joy ride) but, having gone through the trouble of transferring to that station to go north from there, would never bother with the trouble of taking it downtown after getting off a plane, especially with the Blue Line so easily accessible (if a healthy walk from the terminals.)

Last edited by a moderator:
<edit, and PS>

AND, if you ask me, it's WAY past time to get better accessibility at the Clinton station on the Blue line. "City that works" OK. But really, getting a decent elevator at Clinton on the Blue Line -- what -- a few dozen million? Chicago needs the tourists. So fix it!
I'd just note that Chicago/CTA has made far more progress in terms of accessibility than New York/MTA. And that there are over 15 CTA stations busier than Clinton that are not yet accessible either. Just looking at the Blue Line, the Division/Milwaukee subway station is more than twice as busy as Clinton/Congress.
Point taken. CTA budget, etc. I'm an infrequent visitor to Chi-town, years ago had many friends there - all left or died, no clue about local politics etc.

Never boarded at Jackson, so no clue. Mostly me and kids and friends that used to live there like the CTA and the city. As much as anyone can like a city.

Yes, the ADA s an "unfunded mandate" for public transit of all kinds, and public buildings, and -- . Good to do, but whose money, and when?

Yup. Me, can walk and travel light, I take Clinton, but there's plenty alternatives.

I'd like to take the Metra train to O'Hare sometime (just for the joy ride) but, having gone through the trouble of transferring to that station to go north from there, would never bother with the trouble of taking it downtown after getting off a plane, especially with the Blue Line so easily accessible (if a healthy walk from the terminals.)
Agreed. You just can't beat the Blue Line for convenience, cost and frequency.

IF the People-Mover was extended to the vicinity of the Metra station (eliminating the need to transfer to a bus shuttle) and IF the trains ran more often throughout the day, then PERHAPS the extra cost could be overlooked. At present, it's a trifecta in favor of the Blue Line.

Yeah I agree. I have at times thought of taking METRA, but it really is not a serious usable service due to its infrequency and random schedules even when it runs.
Departing Chicago Monday through Friday on any of the westbound long distance trains, there is a pretty decent METRA option out of O'Hare. An inbound North Central local departs O'Hare Transfer at 11:58am and gets to Union Station at 12:35pm. That lines up pretty well with #3 (3:00pm), #5 (2:00pm), #7 (2:15pm), and #21 (1:45pm).

I used it last summer after flying into ORD from PHL and traveling onward on the Builder. I arrived ORD at about 9am, killed some time in the AA lounge, had a early lunch and then made the easy people mover/bus trip to the METRA station. The train delivered me directly to Union Station with better seating, room for luggage and far, far fewer stops than the Blue Line. The fare - $5.25 - is only 25 cents more than taking the Blue Line (thanks to the CTA O'Hare 2x surcharge).

It certainly does not work on weekends or if the Amtrak times do not line up with the handful of METRA trains, but the times do mesh, it's a pretty slick transfer. I have a similar trip this summer and will use METRA again.

I have used it the opposite way after trips to Chicago. The Spirit flight I often take back to MSP leaves around 7:40 pm. The 4:58 METRA from Union Station is so much more pleasant than the Blue Line that I don't mind paying the extra couple bucks for it.

Honestly, if it ran on weekends as well I'd almost always take it over the Blue Line. Not that the Blue Line is bad, mind you. But the METRA is nice enough that I'll take the extra bit of inconvenience getting there from ORD.

Regarding Metra trains and one's ability to lug luggage, I would note for those utterly unfamiliar with Metra that its trains (other than the Electric Line) are not level boarding but several steps up from the platform. While every non-Electric train has cars with accessibility lifts, I wouldn't count on a conductor deploying the lift for luggage alone; I know they won't deploy the lift for bicycles.

Of course, there's more room for luggage on a Metra car than an L car, and I dare say most people can get their luggage up and down a few stairs. But it's something to keep in mind.

Regarding rush hour and the Blue Line, from O'Hare to Clinton you are going against rush hour traffic. The car probably won't begin to fill up until a couple of stations before Clinton.

As I read the schedule, between the hours of 8 AM and 6 AM the NEXT morning, there are exactly 4 scheduled departures from the Metra "Ohare Transfer" to CUS, plus half a dozen more between 6-8 AM; and it takes bus shuttles to get to the Metra Station. This doesn't seem like much of an "option" to me, but it's good to know about. By contrast, Blue Line trains leave every couple of minutes and you can walk to the train from your terminal. My suggestion--arrange luggage (and children!) to make this feasible; if you can't, maybe cab it.

Anyway, Point 12 of Phase 1 of the CUS Renovation Master Plan includes new direct passenger access from the Clinton Blue Line station to CUS. Hooray. Whether this contemplates an underground passage or something else is unknown to me.

So when you get off at Clinton, are the signs directing you to union station?
No. Nor at the Clinton or Jackson station. Not in English, Spanish, nor in Polish, Russian, Arabic or Hindi, or Greek.

But if you haven't got your Google map handy, you can ask anybody you see at either station how to get to Union Station. English works best, but there's a good chance that any of the mentioned languages might work. The area around Union Station is, as Sarah and others have said -- is -- relatively safe, and polyglot. It's Chicago.

Don't be scared, ask for help.

I write this after helping a monoglot Spanish speaker navigate public transit near MSP -- we had no common words, but he showed me his Metro trip-plan in Spanish on his I-phone and I confirmed that the (spanish language) plan seemed good to get where he was going. He got on the right bus.

Chicagoans are no less helpful, they are not all gangsters, ask directions from anybody, maybe half will be helpful. :)
Thanks for the advice
Can you answer another question? Someone said there is a CVS across the street from Union Station. Is it really right across the street?

Regarding rush hour and the Blue Line, from O'Hare to Clinton you are going against rush hour traffic. The car probably won't begin to fill up until a couple of stations before Clinton.
If you get on the last couple of cars (the first couple you come to on the platform at O'Hare) they can fill up. Instead, walk down the platform a couple of cars further, where you'll likely have more space in the middle of the train.

Honestly, it is possible to take luggage on the blue line without using a luggage rack, many folk do it. Yes it can get in the way, yes it might be better if there were places to store luggage, but we are all humans, we can manage... trust me!

The London Underground serves all Heathrow terminals, no London Underground trains have luggage racks yet millions of passengers use the Tube, with their suitcases, to access Heathrow...

Chill !

Ed. :cool:
Ah yes, I remember doing that in the 1980s in the days before roller bags. And I had paced way too much. It's the Picadilly Line, isn't it? I rode it to Victoria Station, where you could book hotels at the tourist info center. Then I hopped another Underground line to where my hotel was located. Worked ok, but I wasn't riding in rush hour.

So on the Empire Builder do I need a two prong or three prong extension cord for the electrical outlet in a roomette?

Here's a photo of the Metra "station" -- https://www.google.com/maps/@41.994887,-87.8807631,3a,75y,75h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA9HUUNb9K9jg5lHykmoO8w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Here's the wikipedia entry on the Metra Ohare Transfer in it's entirety:

O'Hare Transfer is a commuter railroad station along Metra's North Central Service that serves Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. The station is 18.6 miles (29.9 km) away from Union Station, the southern terminus of the line. The station is located at the dead end of Zemke Boulevard east of Mannheim Road(US 12/US 45) outside the northeast corner of Economy Parking Lot F. Owing to the limited frequency offered by the North Central Service, the station is not currently a significant means of access for travelers to O'Hare. However, a single outbound North Central Service train operates daily nonstop service from Union Station to the O'Hare Transfer station with a scheduled 27-minute travel time.

Outside of the Heritage service to Joliet on the CN, this line probably has the worst service in the whole system. Okay if you're a commuter, very sketchy if your going to/from O'Hare. Since the mayor wants to establish express service to the airport, this is obviously the best option. The infrastructure is already in place.

So on the Empire Builder do I need a two prong or three prong extension cord for the electrical outlet in a roomette?
The roomettes have a three-prong outlet.
Thanks Sarah! Ready for the EB tomorrow! Everyone on this thread had been really helpful and provided a lot of great info. I appreciate the time you all have taken to answer this first timer's questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back