Our Trip on #4

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to my sleeper attendant on the EB in September, she reckoned the disposable plates cost $1.50 each. I wonder how much of a 'saving' that is over 3 days of meals on the train?
Ever heard the expression, "Penny wise and pound (dollar) foolish?"
Oh yes! I work for a company that has that as its mission statement....... :rolleyes:

I'd be very interested to see just how much the savings is. After all there is the added expense of having to buy a new plate for every meal, and I understand that the amount of garbage has almost trippled. And Amtrak has to pay to have all that trash picked up and thrown away.
And then of course not having that second person in the kitchen hurts customer service, slows down overall service, and because of that means that less people actually get to eat in the dining car. Less people eating means less revenue. I for one can't imagine that the savings realized by cutting the second person is very much, if any, in the face of all that.
Talking to my sleeper attendant on the EB in September, she reckoned the disposible plates cost $1.50 each.

I wonder how much of a 'saving' that is over 3 days of meals on the train?
I thought the EB used real plates.

I'd be very interested to see just how much the savings is. After all there is the added expense of having to buy a new plate for every meal, and I understand that the amount of garbage has almost trippled. And Amtrak has to pay to have all that trash picked up and thrown away.
And then of course not having that second person in the kitchen hurts customer service, slows down overall service, and because of that means that less people actually get to eat in the dining car. Less people eating means less revenue. I for one can't imagine that the savings realized by cutting the second person is very much, if any, in the face of all that.
Talking to my sleeper attendant on the EB in September, she reckoned the disposible plates cost $1.50 each.

It does use real plates still.

It does use real plates still.
Did I say otherwise? :unsure:
Implied... EB attendant talking about the disposable plates, but understandable that she would know what's going on with other routes.

Last edited by a moderator:

The plates cost between 10 and 15 cents each.

I really enjoy reading all the travel reports, especially on the SWC. My husband and I will be taking #3 and #4 in May for our first trip to California from Ohio and we've reserved a roomette. We've only taken the train between Toledo and Chicago about 10 years ago and we are excited for our trip. If it is all we are hoping it to be, we will be doing much more traveling by Amtrak in the future and will bring friends and family along. I will post my thoughts when we return, some time in June. :rolleyes: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back