Outbound Marketing Group ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Anybody ever hear of these people ? Supposidly each train's revenue manager will release a block of rooms less than a week in advance to the Outbound Marketing Group, who will then call already ticketed coach passengers at random to offer them a sleeper at a discount.

Anybody know about this ? Anybody ever get a call from them ?

Joe P.

Joe,

I've never heard of the group, "Outbound Marketing", however I've heard many stories from various people having been called by Amtrak or someone purporting to be from Amtrak, offering them a heavily discounted room.

This seems to happen most when sleeper sales are under normal targets for a particular train. Amtrak doesn't actually holdout sleepers for this, it only happens when sales are down. Better to get some monies for the sleepers, than run them empty.

On my first ever long-distance train ride, back in April 2001, I was booked in coach on the Capitol Limited (and Heritage sleeper on the Three Rivers). Someone from Amtrak called and offered a sleeper upgrade on the Cap. for $100, which I accepted.

Last year I took a trip from Syr to Bos and "got the call", accepted, a upgrade to sleeper for $100. Over kill but interesting.

A co-worker and her husband "got the call" before a recent trip to Chi.

Guest said:
Last year I took a trip from Syr to Bos and "got the call", accepted, a upgrade to sleeper for $100. Over kill but interesting.
A co-worker and her husband "got the call" before a recent trip to Chi.
Blast forgot to sign in.

The outbound telemarketing group has produced very good incremental revenue for those trains with sleepers and it is a very tightly controlled inventory - with revenue management and marketing suggesting routes and open & closed periods.

There is also some discussion about creating a sleeper wait list, which would be automated and turned over to the outbound telemarketing group for the calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back