Overseas Traveller - E-Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are travelling from Vancouver to San Franiscoin September. We have a bus Vancouver to Seattle, then Coast Starlight to Emeryville and then bus into San Franisco. When I booked they told me that I could not get an e-ticket but could pick up the tickets in Vancouver.

I later e-mailed Amtrak and asked why I could not receive an e-ticket and the answer was because of the two bus trips involved.

I find that odd. Does anyone have a better answer. :(

To take the e-Tickets Conductors have been equipped with scanners that allow them to "lift" the ticket. However not all of the buses have consistent drivers to be trained or be responsible for the device so they continue to use the regular old tickets. The only disadvantage per se of the old tickets is that they do have value, so you don't want to lose them. Keep them in a safe place and you should have no issue. Happy travels!

Unfortunately, Amtrak's system isn't capable of splitting a reservation so you could eticket the legs that are eligible,while still getting paper tickets where necessary.

Many thanks for the replies. Looks like I will have to go down to the railway station in Vancouver the day after we fly in. Pick up the tickets and do a little train spotting.

Train spotting is always fun. The trains from Vancouver to Seattle are a very nice ride. However, neither of them connect with the CS, so you would have to overnight in Seattle -- which can be much fun in its own right.

We are on the bus at 0530 hrs to connect with the CS after we have done the Rocky Mountaineer tour. We will check out the sleepers on Amtrak. No sleepers any more in NZ.

Plan to ride the Explorer from Hamilton to Wellington in September. And hoping the Kingston Flyer will be restored to service by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

You will be very lucky if the Kingston Flyer service has been restored by then. You will enjoy the Explorer with the new (or should I say re-built) carriages with the large windows.

All the Amtrak California bus drivers are equipped with iPhone-based scanners. Even if the scanner is malfunctioning (or battery dies) they can take the phone out and enter the res# manually. It sounds like your front-end bus trip is what's preventing the e-Ticket.

I heard that even the YARTS drivers going to/from Yosemite can take Amtrak e-Tickets now.

Picking up tickets at the station is usually easy if you have the reservation.

Most staions have machines where you can type in your code and the have it print out your tickets.

You can also go to the ticket desk and have the ticket clerk do it for you.

It's very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back