Packing Light for 10 days & No Laundry Facilities

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
I'm getting ready to pack for a 10 day trip and because of back problems, I really have to pack light. I got a great price on a hotel bid on Priceline, but discovered they have no guest laundry facilities.

Do any of you have suggestions or ideas on how to pack the minimum for a 10 day trip? Eight of those days will be on the train.

Thanks,

Betty

Betty -

My "trick" (which I'm doing right now) is to pack 2 bags, a rolling suitcase and a carry on duffle bag type. Inside the duffle bag, also put another foldable duffle bag. Then check one bag.

Then each day, after you wear your clothes put those in your (empty) 2nd bag. Soon you'll have one bag of dirty clothes and an empty bag. At your destination/transfer point (in my case LAX), I retrieve my checked bag of clean clothes and put them in my empty bag. Then I take my dirty clothes, put them in the fooling suitcase and check that bag home!

Once again, I have only 2 carry on bags. One full of clean clothes and one empty! :excl:

Have fun!

I used gallon size ziplock bags for my summer trip last year (by plane :( ). I rolled up my underwear, t-shirts and shorts, put them in bags (I think I got 3 or 4 in each bag) zipped the bag part way and pushed the air out, zipped some more, etc.

There are websites that show how to pack efficiently. I used one of those methods on my Nov 2011 LD trip.

Switch from cotton clothes to those made with 100% nylon or polyester fabrics. These fast drying fabrics can be washed in the sink, wrung out, pressed between towels, and air dried in several hours . These nylon and polyester clothes will take up less space in your bags. Also, if you wash the undergarments and socks each night, you can cut down on what you pack for the trip.

Do a Web search for a laundromat near the hotel; depending on where it is I would imagine there will be one within a few blocks. That is what I always do on non-car travel in order to reduce my "budget" of clothes.

On my 30 day rail pass trip I did this to solve the laundry problem: Start out by packing old worn out clothes, especially undergarments, and I threw them away when done with them. Then I mailed a box of clean clothes ahead to pick up along the way. It worked well and I got rid of a bunch of ratty old things that had been taking up space in my closet!

Switch from cotton clothes to those made with 100% nylon or polyester fabrics. These fast drying fabrics can be washed in the sink, wrung out, pressed between towels, and air dried in several hours . These nylon and polyester clothes will take up less space in your bags. Also, if you wash the undergarments and socks each night, you can cut down on what you pack for the trip.
I'm a fan of quick-drying synthetics, but they do sometimes have issues. They can absolutely stink after a while because the odors aren't absorbed directly into the fabric (which is essentially plastic) and because bacteria grow right on the surface. Some come with anti-odor treatments - usually nano silver which reduces microbial growth. I once bought a used polyester fleece jacket super cheap at REI (must have been a return), but whoever previously owned must have had the worst BO known to mankind. It took several washings and lots of spot treatments before the stink was out of the underarms. Otherwise it was in impeccable condition.

Many of the special weaves for synthetics have a tendency to snag - especially Under Armour Heat Gear and some of the fancy stuff from Nike. Before I buy a shirt at a store I like to go over it to make sure that there are no snags. Once it does snag (can happen with almost anything, especially a cracked fingernail), it can look like a run on a nylon stocking.

Still - on any trip I take I always pack some item of cotton clothing, and I haven't worn synthetic underwear in a while.

There are also cotton-poly blends that sort of bridge the gap. They dry faster than 100% cotton, generally pack as light as 100% synthetics, and don't tend to stink as much.

I'm a fan of quick-drying synthetics, but they do sometimes have issues. They can absolutely stink after a while because the odors aren't absorbed directly into the fabric (which is essentially plastic) and because bacteria grow right on the surface. Some come with anti-odor treatments - usually nano silver which reduces microbial growth. I once bought a used polyester fleece jacket super cheap at REI (must have been a return), but whoever previously owned must have had the worst BO known to mankind. It took several washings and lots of spot treatments before the stink was out of the underarms. Otherwise it was in impeccable condition.

Many of the special weaves for synthetics have a tendency to snag - especially Under Armour Heat Gear and some of the fancy stuff from Nike. Before I buy a shirt at a store I like to go over it to make sure that there are no snags. Once it does snag (can happen with almost anything, especially a cracked fingernail), it can look like a run on a nylon stocking.

Still - on any trip I take I always pack some item of cotton clothing, and I haven't worn synthetic underwear in a while.

There are also cotton-poly blends that sort of bridge the gap. They dry faster than 100% cotton, generally pack as light as 100% synthetics, and don't tend to stink as much.
Interesting viewpoint. I never had the problems you have had.

What are you using as a carry-on (size) and will you be carrying a tote too?

I'll do my best to come up with some ideas but I can do a better job if I know what you're going to use. :)

Also, is there any equipment or special, extra stuff that you're going to take?

It's obvious to me your goal is to pack light, not compact. It's the weight that matters to you. I agree with the poster who recommended washing undergarments in the sink -- it's worked for me, too.

Now this is just my style -- it may not work for you -- but I dress in layers, so I can take one off or put one on depending on the temperature. The top layers don't get smelly, the only danger of getting them dirty is if you spill something on them, or get the cuffs a little grubby. So, don't take a white shirt as the top layer. And make your bottom layers short-sleeved (not sleeveless), so they take all the perspiration. If they are lightweight, they won't take up much space in the laundry, and you may even be able to wash them in the sink, too. If you choose a color theme for everything, you can mix-and-match and it will feel like a fresh outfit. Choose items you can dress up or down by adding or subtracting jewelry.I also never put anything in the laundry bag unless I am sure I can't wear it again till after being washed. I hang it to "air out," then fold neatly "just in case" I need to wear it again.

My personal style is pretty t-shirts with a sporty overshirt, then a feece vest or zip-front jacket. I wear the jeans till they feel like I need to change them (after a few days, even if not visibly dirty, they are just not fresh). And with the fleece, a lightweight water-resistant jacket is enough for most winter climates, so again, it's a single multi-purpose item.

Some great ideas here! I love the idea of wearing undergarments that need to be tossed! :) I have a friend who does that.

I can pack for 10 days in a standard 21x14x9 roller bag, along with a large purse, or tote that I put over the handle of the roller bag.

It might bother some, but I don't mind wearing clothes twice when traveling, especially if there's not much physical activity and I'm not sweating. My sister in law thinks this is disgusting and refuses to wear anything twice; to each his own ;) . Here's what I do:

I choose a color that I can mix and match; for me it's always black or brown. I wear one pair of shoes that will match everything I pack, and I keep a pair of flip-flops in my bag. In the winter, for 10 days, I'd probably pack 4 pairs of jeans or slacks, and 5 blouses. I like blouses or cardigans you can change up by wearing different colored tanks or camisoles, since tanks and camisoles take up very little room, so I'll add 2-3 of those. It's easier in the summer because a skirt or dress, and a flat pair of sandals take up little space, and shorts or capris take up less room than slacks. I take clean underwear and trouser socks for each day, but only one extra bra; one pair of pj bottoms, and a longsleeve t-shirt to sleep in. I usually wear a coat with a zip-out liner, so I'm good to go in very cold, or just bit chilly temps.

Rolling clothes seems to work for some people, but I've found I can get more in one bag by laying everything, including undergarments, flat. I skimp on toiletries and make-up. Everything I need fits in my purse, or tote. For example, instead of the 2-3 creams or lotions I might use at home, I pack one travel size cream that can be used as a face moisturizer or body lotion. One lipstick, one eyeshadow, one pencil...you get the picture. I put vitamins, aspirin, prescription meds in one small travel bottle.

It's what you are comfortable with, but I find it is so much easier, and trips are more enjoyable, when I travel light. Hope you have a great trip!

Assuming that the hotel has no laundry facilities; here is a trick that I have used in summer months. I pack light "wash and wear" clothing and a small bottle of detergent. When my shirts get soiled, I wash them by hand in the sink as soon as I get to my hotel, wring them out and hang them up over the curtain rod around the shower. Then I use a hair dryer to pre dry and leave them there overnight. If your clothing is of light fabric, they should be dry by morning. If you have a car and its summer hang them up inside. When parked in the sun, a cars interior will reach 120* in summer and tops dry quickly.

With wash and wear clothing you can pack light, as you can rotate 5 or 6 tops for a 10 day trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I would suggest that you think about throwing out dirty clothing at the furthest point on your trip, and just buy a few cheap garments to see you through on the way home, that way you can save up to 50% on weight. Similarly, toilet bag items can be bought at your destination, so you can just take small or almost empty items with you on the way out. Do pack early, and be ruthless, I find weight creeps in, and before you know it, the little case is too heavy!

I find rolling clothing up helps to pack more in a small space, but it don't make it lighter!

Ed :cool:

Interesting viewpoint. I never had the problems you have had.

http://www.discovery.com/area/skinnyon/skinnyon970801/skinnyon.html
Ah, the outdoor life! The sun on your face, the taste of a mountain stream, the powerful scent of the shirt you wore yesterday, lethal enough to level an acre of virgin forest ...

It's a double-edged sword, that high-performance long underwear/biking/running "poly-pro" stuff made from petrochemicals and magic. Some breeds are more double-edged than others. Some breeds could scare the edge off a Swiss Army Knife blade.

They have advantages keeping someone warm in cold conditions, especially when wet from sweat. There's an expression among hikers - "cotton kills". It's a bit of an overstatement, but gets the point across that cotton is a lousy fabric for cold weather survival because it insulates poorly, and extremely so when wet. However, backpackers tend to wear the same thing for days to save on packing clothes, and the clothing can smell rather ripe after a few days of sweat and body oils. The other issue with them for certain activities is that they melt when exposed to heat. A floating ember from a campfire can cause a hole in polyester or nylon.

I'll share a trick I've used a couple of times. Once I am ready to start home and have dirty clothes I wrap them around something heavy or fragile that I bought on the trip. I pack that into a priority mail flat rate box and mail it home.

There is no sense to carrying dirty clothes back home. The Post Office actually makes a small profit on packages.

Wheels on your luggage are your friend.

Hope that there is a laundromat within walking distance of your hotel.

Hi,I would suggest that you think about throwing out dirty clothing at the furthest point on your trip, and just buy a few cheap garments to see you through on the way home, that way you can save up to 50% on weight. Similarly, toilet bag items can be bought at your destination, so you can just take small or almost empty items with you on the way out. Do pack early, and be ruthless, I find weight creeps in, and before you know it, the little case is too heavy!

I find rolling clothing up helps to pack more in a small space, but it don't make it lighter!

Ed :cool:
When in boot camp for the Air Force, we were taught to roll all clothing we could as it fits in a smaller space. It was how your entire uniform issue would fit in the duffel bag. I use it to this day except where I can use compressing vacuum bags.

I too learned the technique of tightly rolling clothes to conserve spave. In my case it came from an Amtrak National Schedule circa mid 1980s.

Hi Betty, In addition to what others have said ...

I treat dirty-smelly and dirty-appearance differently. Underwear choices are things that are easier to pack, example soft cup instead of underwires, ankle socks instead of kneehighs. It all gets changed daily. I detest hand-washing so save it for emergencies.

Outer clothes I figure it doesn't matter if I wear the same thing everyday as I'll be seeing different people, and besides who cares what strangers think. I lean toward really busy prints so it doesn't look dirty and just sponge off spots if I spill something. I also pick things that can all be layered together instead of carrying, example leggings (double as long underwear or pajamas) plus reversible skirt, and on top a turtleneck plus a larger T-shirt plus a jacket or vest. Then strip down once on board. I like fabrics that are supposed to be wrinkled, like broomstick skirts, for anything that'll get packed. Others have talked about the high-tech fabrics and I have some, but also wear cotton.

Have a great trip!

I tend to wear all black most of the time, so it looks like I am wearing the same thing every day, even when I am not. The advantage to wearing black is that stains are usually not obvious. The disadvantage to black is, in summer months, it attracts heat when I am outdoors.

Thank you all for so many good ideas. Alice, I like your reversible skirts. They always look nice. Joanie, I don't know what suitcases I'll be taking. I like Dave's ideas of bags inside bags, if I could figure out a way to do this with what I have. In the past I always rolled my clothes, but my for my last several trips I have used those space bags. I have three left, the others have broken, but they help to save space and I think the clothes come out looking more wrinkle free than rolling. Betty (ie Delaware Betty) I'll roll whatever doesn't fit in the space bags. Penny, I have different colors tops, but plan to wear black pants - I don't have any jeans. Oregon Pioneer, I'm thinking of wearing short sleeved tee shirts over long sleeved shirts. Synthetics - yes! I have some. I'll definitely wear them this trip.

I really don't want to spend any part of my two days off the train in a Laundromat, but I like the idea of mailing the dirty clothes home for the ones that aren't easily washed in the hotel sink.

Again, thanks every one. I hope others can come up with more ideas.

I really don't want to spend any part of my two days off the train in a Laundromat, but I like the idea of mailing the dirty clothes home for the ones that aren't easily washed in the hotel sink.
Betty,

Several years ago on a very long OTOL fest, there was no time for us to spend time in a laundromat and our hotel didn't have anything either. Well they had valet service, but that was real pricey. Instead we found a place to drop off our clothes. We came back the next day to find everything fluffed & folded for us. It cost a bit more than doing it ourselves, but it was well worth the extra cost so as to miss part of the fest.

Hi Betty,

You can do it!

Coincidentally, I've been reviewing how to pack light on websites and from memory, to practice packing for an 11-day tour (my first organized tour) this fall. So, I'm certainly not an expert, but below are some things to consider. When my husband and I traveled, I had to handle all our luggage and his chair, so I quickly became better at packing. I'm still not an extremely light packer, but it's amazing what can be painlessly left at home with a little bit of planning.

There are many websites with packing tips; it's almost a cottage industry. Google and check some of them out and find what works for your situation.

For ten days, you should be able to pack lightly enough without wearing your old ratty clothes to throw away or mailing clothes to yourself, unless you just want to, although those are options. Dark pants can easily be worn two or three times, so four should be plenty, and you might get by with three. I like to take knits, and there are some stylish ones that don't look like grandma pants. They don't weigh a lot, don't wrinkle as much as woven pants, and can be more easily hand washed and dried if it came to that (it probably won't). But any will do if you don't take the whole closet! Try to stay away from heavy ones, though. Lightweight cotton or blend tees, turtlenecks, or pullovers, along with a blouse or two, don't take much space so you can take more of them. A quilted vest, wool blend cardigan (warmer and lighter than cotton), or a jacket can be taken if needed, and can be carried instead of packed if space is tight. If weather is iffy, take a few items for layering, and maybe one of the little synthetic tank top undies for warmth. For cold weather, I have a few fleece pullovers that are almost too toasty warm, and they weigh almost nothing (got them at Landsend on sale). For most kinds of trips, the shoes you wear and a pair of flip-flops for the train shower and to use as slippers, should do. Couple of sleep tees or gowns (one if you shower at night), daily undies--or wash a few out in the shower or sink, a few bras, socks, little travel size toiletries.

Yes, I know Rick Steves would throw over half of that out, but I'm not nearly that good. :)

I have a hard time forcing myself to go ahead and make up my mind what I'll wear during the trip, rather than taking extra clothes so I can "decide later." Guard against that. LOL

You should be able to get most of this in a 22" case or rolling duffle if the third dimension is generous. It's always good to also take a tote bag for items you need to keep handy, valuables, meds, snacks, etc. They make some little foldable ones that are feather weight, or any cloth or nylon tote. If you check your main bag, include a change of clothes in your tote. I guess the chance your suitcase will get lost is practically nil on a train, though, so that's not as important. (But put your name and cell or hotel number in every bag.) If your rolling suitcase (God bless the person who invented those!) doesn't already have a strap for this, use a strap or belt, loop it through the rolling case's handle (not the telescoping one, the one on top of the bag) and through your hand bag's handles, and let it hitch a ride on the rolling case. Use a small purse with a shoulder or crossbody strap so it leaves your hands free for other things. Weed out the things in your purse, but take a second credit card (another thread).

The packing method that works best for me is the fold lengthwise and stack, bundle method (I learned on line, not sure what it's really called). Fold pants once lengthwise, lay them on a table, stacking and alternating the direction. One pair waist to the R, next pair waist to the L, etc., then shirts folded once lengthwise and alternate, stacking. Then carefully, without bunching, fold one end of the whole stack over, smooth and press down, then keep folding over and smoothing down, to make the size rectangle to fit in a part of your suitcase. The stack can also be rolled, but I like making a rectangle or square bundle better. i don't know why, but this method takes up much, much less space than folding or rolling each item separately. It's almost magic. If it winds up too tall, take some things off and make a second bundle. (or weed out a few) Put undies in a gallon zip baggie and press the air out, roll misc items and tuck where there's space. That's just what works for me. I have gotten a week's worth of summer clothes for the two of us in our expanded 22" rolling case this way. And I could push him in his chair with one hand while pulling our suitcase, tote attached, with the other. Do what's necessary to make it easier for you, and don't stress about getting it perfect.

Don't plan on the worst-case scenario, don't take things you "might" need but aren't likely to. In a pinch, you can always buy something at your destination, just like the locals do. You are not going to Mars.

I've read this advice in several places: Take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you'll need! (No, I don't always follow it.)

Sorry so wordy, but I'm into this, too, right now. Have a wonderful trip!

Edit to add: If you need help boarding or getting off the train, by all means let someone know you need help, a little ahead of time. Amtrak employees were always very helpful to my mobility limited hubby and me. It is part of their job, but they always seemed happy to do it. We did give them a tip for any extra service.

Alan, I think I can avoid having to drop off my clothes. I weighed my suitcase empty and it is 8 lbs. After I packed it was 19 lbs. That doesn't include a tote I'm using with odds and ends such as pj's, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc. So my suitcase has 11 lbs. of clothes.

Crescent 2, thank you for so much good information. I have used the fold-stack-bundle method in the past, but have found that the space-saver bags I got at Walmart help a great deal for saving space and the clothes come out without very many wrinkles.

I had already finished packing when I read your post and I believe I did pretty well. I have never washed things out in the shower, but hey - why not? It's probably more sanitary washing things in the hotel sink. Another thought I got from your post was "don't pack things you 'might' need". Right now I have three things sitting on top of my suitcase that as an afterthought I had decided I was going to pack. These are things I "might" need. So back in the closet they go!

Joanie, those are great sites, thanks. I love Rick Steves, too. But I can only dream about packing as lightly as he suggests!

Betty, sounds like you should be giving the advice! :) Are the bags you mentioned the ones that you take the air out of? I've always been afraid they would stop working and I couldn't get everything back in! If they are, it's good to know they've worked well.

Strangely (or I thought it was very unusual not to say "pack light"), the tour company recommends taking enough clothes for the entire trip, and to not count on any laundry facilities. They said they'd probably be available, but would not be reasonably priced. They say "one large suitcase" (up to 28" and 48 pounds) and one non-luggage type, soft tote. They handle the larger bag for us. I just bought a large suitcase (27") because I didn't think I could bite the bullet enough to get by with my 22" one. Part of the trip will be in the mountains so some layers will be necessary. But the suitcase honestly looks HUGE to me. I'm still playing around with what I need to take.

Sounds like you are all set to go. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back