Palmetto Vs. Carolinian Vs. Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
Do the onboard accommodations (i.e. the seat types, etc.) differ between the Carolinian and/or the Palmetto and the "boilerplate" Regionals? I know the Palmetto used to have 2-1 seating in BC, for example, but does it still? And does BC on the Palmetto include more than just the lone half-can of soda?

Do the onboard accommodations (i.e. the seat types, etc.) differ between the Carolinian and/or the Palmetto and the "boilerplate" Regionals? Sadly, not any more. I know the Palmetto used to have 2-1 seating in BC, for example, but does it still? Not when I rode two weeks ago. And does BC on the Palmetto include more than just the lone half-can of soda? They had newspapers too........

Do the onboard accommodations (i.e. the seat types, etc.) differ between the Carolinian and/or the Palmetto and the "boilerplate" Regionals? Sadly, not any more. I know the Palmetto used to have 2-1 seating in BC, for example, but does it still? Not when I rode two weeks ago. And does BC on the Palmetto include more than just the lone half-can of soda? They had newspapers too........
Coach definitely wins, then.

The Carolinian runs with Amfleet Equipment (all I's I think), the Piedmont runs with state owned "heritage" equipment. So there is a difference between the two as far as the coaches go. I can't comment on the BC on either.

TVRM, he was asking about the Palmetto, not the Piedmont. The Palmetto bug still has Amfleet II coaches with Amfleet I cafe/BC AFAIK, but the Carolinian and Regionals are all Amfleet I all the time. The argument for BC (besides the can soda and newspaper) is that you are FAR less likely to have a seatmate in BC. So if you're traveling alone I'd highly recommend taking the BC option for a couple of bucks more. If you have a companion, you should be ok in coach, but the smell/noise factor is likelier to be higher. Also don't forget that both the Carolinian and Palmetto bug both have the checked baggage option, whereas 66/67 are the only Regional providing that service.

Anderson, I've had the opp to take the Carolinian, Palmetto, and Regionals more than I'd like the last thirty days, and I have to agree with the other poster, EVEN THOUGH THE BC 2-1 SEATING IS "GONE", I'd still spring for the BC, because these trains are running VERY, VERY FULL.

Battalion, the Palmetto and Penny have not had the Half Cafe/BC since October or September and now runs with the full BC.
My bad. Only train I get to see on a quasi regular basis these days is the Crescent. Not too much Amtrak variety in and around my fair city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back