PDX to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve

Train Attendant
Hello everyone, I am taking the Cascades from PDX to Seattle in December and have a couple questions about the PDX station.

I have taken the Surfliner countless times so I know all the Amtrak basics. But it sounds like some of the procedures are a little different on the Cascades route. For example; I have seen it mentioned a couple times that when you arrive at the station you need to check in to get a seat assignment. Is this true even if you already have a coach ticket? If this is the case, I am assuming they will try their best to seat me and my girlfriend next to each other...

Also, will we be allowed to wait on the platform for the train to arrive or will there be a line to wait in (like San Diego)?

I scanned the forum to see if this has already been discussed and couldn't find anything so forgive me if it has. Feel free to offer any other tips.

Thank you.

In PDX, yes you do go to the desk by the gate to get your seating assignment prior to boarding. Be sure to give then both tickets, and they will seat you both together.

You can NOT go out to the platform until the train is announced.

As The Traveler noted there is a desk by the track gates (opposite side of the waiting room from the ticket counters) where the conductor will check you in and make assignments. If you are business class (or sleeper on the CS) you should be in the First Class lounge and they will assist you there.

Depending on whatever they decided to do that day you may get a seat assignment, or just a car assignment. Car assignments tend to be based on destination (if they can fill a Seattle or Tacoma car then they do not have to open that car at intermediate stops). Seat assignments will range from on a less than full train "pick your own" to being assisted by the assistant conductor/car attendant (or pre-assigned).

Portland is a single level station with occasionally "live" tracks that have to be crossed. I presume it is a safety concern for the policy to keep pedestrians away until the track crossings are clear.

You line up and get seat assignments on the Cascades at Vancouver, BC, Seattle and Portland. At other stations you usually are directed to find seats in designated cars. Sometimes, particularly on the trains between Vancouver, BC and Seattle, the conductors will have already assigned you a seat and will hand you a seat check with a seat sticker on it as you board at the intermediate stations.

At Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, BC you are not allowed on the platform until boarding is opened. At many intermediate stations, Everett and Bellingham come immediately to mind, there are gates that restrict access to the boarding platform that are only opened when the train's arrival is imminent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back