Pennsylvanian/CL vs NER/CL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
Alright so I am trying to book tix on March 31 to head to Chicago.

So I have two choices, Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh and then CL from there OR NER to DC and the CL from there.

Why is Pennsylvanian option more expensive?

I don't know. Unless you really want to ride the Pennsylvanian, the routing via fc is better IMHO. You have a better connecting station. And dinner in the diner on the capitol limited. And you can be fast asleep by the time you roll through Pittsburg.

I would agree. There is a long wait in PGH for the westbound CL and if the CL is running late, an even longer wait. The Pennsylvanian is a nice scenic ride in the summer when it stays light later, but this time of year I would go with the NER and CL for the reasons previously stated.

roll through Pittsburg.
Uh, "Pittsburgh".

I would otherwise agree. Also, the connection in Pittsburgh can be a killer -- 4 hours in a waiting room from 8 pm to midnight is undesirable to me, as opposed to Union Station in Washington, with restaurants, and the Club Acela if you are traveling in a sleeper.

My station is Harrisburg, and I don't think I would do the Pennsylvanian to Capitol Limited connection again -- I'd go east to catch a Northeast Regional Train in Philadelphia to Washington.

One could guess the Penny Pricing is so high because it's always sold out.. BC isn't sold out often anymore as it's now a full 60 Seat BC car. Last time I rode 42 on a Points Run I did BC from PAO-PHL. Yeah silly that I did that but I figured for an extra $3 why not. It wasn't full but it was about 3/4 full.

roll through Pittsburg.
Uh, "Pittsburgh".

I would otherwise agree. Also, the connection in Pittsburgh can be a killer -- 4 hours in a waiting room from 8 pm to midnight is undesirable to me, as opposed to Union Station in Washington, with restaurants, and the Club Acela if you are traveling in a sleeper.

My station is Harrisburg, and I don't think I would do the Pennsylvanian to Capitol Limited connection again -- I'd go east to catch a Northeast Regional Train in Philadelphia to Washington.
I wouldnt mind 4 hour wait if anything notable in Pittsburgh is nearby. Primati Bros sandwich shop?

Any time, I personally would chose NER/CL.

I'd rather wait in WAS, get dinner on the CL (as opposed to Amfood on the Pennsy), and sleep thru PGH. Thee calling times at PGH are no fun to connect (midnight and 5 AM), and PGH is not the most interesting station in which to connect.

I had wanted to see Horseshoe Curve, so I purposely took the CL/Pennsy connection. Between the 5 AM detraining and the 7 AM departure, I fell alsleep on the train. While walking to the Amcafe for breakfast, I happened to look out the window and realized we were 1/2 way around Horseshoe Curve!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why they couln't adjust the times on these two trains to make a much shorter layover.

I am not sure why they couln't adjust the times on these two trains to make a much shorter layover.
One issue is getting the freight railroads to agree. Also, if the layover time is shortened, trains will have to be held for late-arriving connecting passengers more often.

4 hours? that all? I had to wait at Union station/Chicago for an 8 hour connection to Bloomington (under 2 hours trip) with a 18 month old baby. I walked around the "Loop" and got pictures then ate in the station.

I did the Pennsylvanian to PGH connecting to the Capitol Limited to CHI one time!!

Enjoyed seeing Horseshoe Curve, but the wait in Pittsburgh was quire boring. If I

cannot get on the Lake Shore Limited, I go to WAS to get the Capitol Limited.

I just did the CL eastbound yesterday and I have to say I don't think I would enjoy a train trip nearly as much without the bigger windows, additional leg room, and SSL, that you only get on trains with Superliner consists (so not the Pennsylvanian).

But I'm still doing the Pennsy westbound on the 17th anyway because I want to see different scenery. I'm planning on just ordering a Domino's pizza for delivery to the Amtrak station at PGH and then selling off my left-over slices.
mosking.gif

I just did the CL eastbound yesterday and I have to say I don't think I would enjoy a train trip nearly as much without the bigger windows, additional leg room, and SSL, that you only get on trains with Superliner consists (so not the Pennsylvanian).

But I'm still doing the Pennsy westbound on the 17th anyway because I want to see different scenery. I'm planning on just ordering a Domino's pizza for delivery to the Amtrak station at PGH and then selling off my left-over slices.
mosking.gif
How much do you plan to sell the left-over pizza pieces?

Do you give a discount if the pizza is cold?

I hope you have a good trip!!

Even though we drove, we had 4 hours to kill when we took the CL from PGH to CHI two years ago. We chose not to sit in the station and wait but went across the river to station square to the Monongahela incline. At the top, (a few blocks walk) there are restaurants, a coffee shop, ice cream shop and a liquor store. There are also observation decks where you can get a great view of Pittsburgh at night. At station square there is a restaurant and mall in the old P. & L.E. RR station and freight house. Station square is accessible via cab or by using a commuter line a couple of blocks from the station

station square

Last edited by a moderator:

mosking.gif
Better be careful, the homeless will fight over the leftovers!!! haha!

Our train station isnt bad, would be nice to have a lounge, but with only 2 routes there, probably useless to do that.

Even though we drove, we had 4 hours to kill when we took the CL from PGH to CHI two years ago. We chose not to sit in the station and wait but went across the river to station square to the Monongahela incline. At the top, (a few blocks walk) there are restaurants, a coffee shop, ice cream shop and a liquor store. There are also observation decks where you can get a great view of Pittsburgh at night. At station square there is a restaurant and mall in the old P. & L.E. RR station and freight house. Station square is accessible via cab or by using a commuter line a couple of blocks from the station

station square
Commuter line? Pittsbugh has no commuter rail!

station square
Commuter line? Pittsbugh has no commuter rail!
Though not a commuter line, Pittsburgh does have a pretty big light rail system. Perhaps he meant that?

The Pittsburgh station is now very simplistic - the original (big) station building is now an apartment building, while the current station occupies only a small portion of the bottom of the original building. The only food in the current station exists in the form of vending machines. If you're going to choose the Pittsburgh option, I recommend that you do your research on things to do in Pittsburgh that night, and time yourself very closely on your activities during the layover period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back