Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakPa1234

Train Attendant
I was thinking of taking this train from Philly to Pittsburgh over the weekend, staying overnight and coming back the next day mainly for the train ride (I've already seen Pittsburgh and its sights). Is it worth it? I assume the train is turned around in Pittsburgh? Will I look like a nut if I come back the next day on the same train (with the same crew)? That is does the same crew come back from Pittsburgh?

Not at all! Take our "little" Heartland Flyer which runs between Oklahoma City and Ft. Worth. Many of its pax are day trippers, going to FTW, spending about 4 hours wandering around downtown shopping and eating (or drinking) and coming right back that evening. Trust me, I know all the Conductors and lounge attendants :)

I was thinking of taking this train from Philly to Pittsburgh over the weekend, staying overnight and coming back the next day mainly for the train ride (I've already seen Pittsburgh and its sights). Is it worth it? I assume the train is turned around in Pittsburgh? Will I look like a nut if I come back the next day on the same train (with the same crew)? That is does the same crew come back from Pittsburgh?
I think it is definitely worth it. You'll ride the Pennsylvania Railroad's "Broad Way" main line with scenery including the venerable Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia (clever name), the farms of Lancaster County, the Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers, the Allegheny Mountains, and the industrial approach to Pittsburgh. Highlights are the Rockville Bridge crossing of the Susquehanna and, of course, Horseshoe Curve as you climb toward the Allegheny summit. And for train watching, The Norfolk Southern's line west of Harrisburg is big-time railroading at its best.

By all means, take the ride. It is one of Amtrak's most overlooked scenic trips. And consider going Business Class at least one way. It uses a former Metroliner Club Car with 2-1 seating. It's a great way to stretch out and enjoy the view.

As for appearing a "nut", try this on for size. Two years ago an airline had an early year promotion offering triple preferred miles for each round trip taken in January. So, I flew from PHL to Manchester NH (for $40), said goodbye to the crew as I got off, sat in the boarding lounge for 30 minutes, and then said hello to the same crew as I boarded the flight back to PHL. They did give me an odd look. I did that two weekends in a row. With an overnight in Pittsburgh, even if the same crew is on the train back, it won't seem all that strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will I look like a nut if I come back the next day on the same train (with the same crew)?
If you do, then so do we who go to CHI for a train ride and pizza, go to CA by train to ride a train in CA and then return without staying in CA, fly from Boston to Albany (about 150 miles) via SAN and LAX with the express purpose to take a train between the two (like I did 20 years ago), etc...! :p

I think it is definitely worth it. You'll ride the Pennsylvania Railroad's "Broad Way" main line with scenery including the venerable Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia (clever name), the farms of Lancaster County, the Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers, the Allegheny Mountains, and the industrial approach to Pittsburgh. Highlights are the Rockville Bridge crossing of the Susquehanna and, of course, Horseshoe Curve as you climb toward the Allegheny summit. And for train watching, The Norfolk Southern's line west of Harrisburg is big-time railroading at its best.

By all means, take the ride. It is one of Amtrak's most overlooked scenic trips. And consider going Business Class at least one way. It uses a former Metroliner Club Car with 2-1 seating. It's a great way to stretch out and enjoy the view.

As for appearing a "nut", try this on for size. Two years ago an airline had an early year promotion offering triple preferred miles for each round trip taken in January. So, I flew from PHL to Manchester NH (for $40), said goodbye to the crew as I got off, sat in the boarding lounge for 30 minutes, and then said hello to the same crew as I boarded the flight back to PHL. They did give me an odd look. I did that two weekends in a row. With an overnight in Pittsburgh, even if the same crew is on the train back, it won't seem all that strange.
Thanks, I just hate having to explain that I am a train buff. But I'll go anyway!

Last year I rode from Chicago to Carbondale and back. Same consist, some crew, business class both ways so I got to know the BC car attendant real well. He even tried to get it Ok'd for me to stay in the car while they "Y'd" the train for the return trip, but couldn't. He did put a reserved seat sign on my seat so it was waiting for me when I re-boarded. The two of us, when he wasn't serving others, had some great Amtrak conversation.

Go for it!!!

I was on the Pennsylvanian a couple of weeks ago from PGH to NWK. Aside from a 40 minute delay for freight outside of Harrisburg, it was a terrific ride.

I spoke to the crew before they got off in Harrisburg, and they lived near there. Apparently, they worked the westbound train the night before, and then did the return trip the next morning. Business class might be nice, at least one way. Be forwarned - the train was packed during out trip, and the on-board upgrade wasn't possible.

The sites on this ride are wonderful - DO IT.

My friend and I have just about started a weekend ritual where we hop on the morning Silver Meteor out of Deerfield and ride 3 hours north to Winter Haven, FL. We're back home by 6PM the same day! By now, I know I'm familiar with pretty much every crewmember there is on 97 and 98. If you wanna make sure they think you're not a nut, just give them another excuse like, "I'm just gettin outta town for a day to see a buddy of mine." And to this day, I'm still not regarded by anyone at Amtrak as a "train buff".

In my late teens, I used to take the ride from Greensburg to Altoona and back. My memories of the schedules are a bit hazy, but I seem to recall I would take the Pennsylvanian out (this was after the demise of the National Limited), arrive at Altoona about 10:00a, and have a couple hours to hang around while waiting for the return trip in the afternoon.

I second the notion of taking Business Class at least one way. Come to Pittsburgh, have a late dinner on Mount Washington, get some sleep, and ride back. Sounds like a nice trip to me.

I rode the Pennsylvanian over the weekend. I was in for a surprise on the way back to Philly as they had problems with the Amtrak Genesis loco and had to have a NS loco pull us to Harrisburg.

I have some technical questions if anyone can help me:

1. When they have to borrow a NS loco (or any freight railroad loco) who drives? The Amtrak engineer or a NS engineer?

2. Where do they wye the train in Pittsburgh? I saw one wye but it was about 3-5 miles out of Pittsburgh.

3. Where do they wye the Amtrak diesel locos when they disconnect them in Philly? Obviously they have to be turned around to go back to Pittsburgh.

4. I was unimpressed with the Keystone corridor. It seemed to be a much rougher ride than the NS track on the Pittsburgh line. Granted I know there are a lot of interlockings on this line. I thought Amtrak just sunk a lot of money into this line?

Thanks

I'm taking an Amtrak trip from NYP to SEA then flying back to JFK (redeye flight) after spending a day in Seattle.

A nice 5 day trip!

1. When they have to borrow a NS loco (or any freight railroad loco) who drives? The Amtrak engineer or a NS engineer?
This was a subject of some discussion a couple of months ago when someone reported a similar thing happening on one of the western routes (the Southwest Chief into ABQ, I think). I think we settled that it's an Amtrak engineer who operates the controls. You might be able to find this discussion if you search...

Most Amtrak LD crew are pretty used to railfans. I wouldn't worry about it.
I don't know about that - I got some strange looks from the conductor when I rode Amtrak from Dallas to Fort Worth. He told me that I should take the TRE instead. I said that Amtrak uses different track and I would take the TRE back. Cocked his head and punched my ticket.

Don't get me wrong. We still confuse the heck outta some of them. But they're used to us, I think.

This was a subject of some discussion a couple of months ago when someone reported a similar thing happening on one of the western routes (the Southwest Chief into ABQ, I think). I think we settled that it's an Amtrak engineer who operates the controls. You might be able to find this discussion if you search...
But I think there also was an implication that there isn't any clear rule that mandates one or the other; and there are some passenger train vs freight train handling differences that would favor the Amtrak engineer, yet the freight engineer would be the one actually formally qualified to operate the locomotive.

The trip to Johnstown Pa. from Newark N.J. is certainly worth it because the train stops in Johnstown. If I fly, it has to be to Pittsburgh which is over an hour from my destination and my family would have to make this trip both ways when I depart.

What is not worth it is getting on at the second stop (Newark) and have a bathroom filled to the top with trash and an ungodly stench. Someone is not doing their job at the first stop(NYC) to clean up the bathrooms. I was amused by the sign on the door "For business class only". Was this why I paid $25.00 extra each way? I am bringing this to your attention because it takes away from the benefit of convenience. On the return trip it was the same senerio, the train

originated in Pittsburgh, two stops before Johnstown. Next time on Amtrak I would like to use the facilities without holding my breath.

I am bringing this to your attention because it takes away from the benefit of convenience. On the return trip it was the same senerio, the trainoriginated in Pittsburgh, two stops before Johnstown. Next time on Amtrak I would like to use the facilities without holding my breath.
Evelyn,

Just to be clear, this site is not owned by Amtrak nor is it endorsed by Amtrak. With a few exceptions, none of the people who post here work for Amtrak and the few who do work for Amtrak would not be in any position to fix the above issue. I do thank you for telling everyone about the problem as it will help other travelers to make an informed choice, but again there is nothing that we can do about it.

It would be best if you could take a few minutes and either call Amtrak and asked to speak with a customer service rep to make them aware of the problem or to write a letter to Amtrak.

What is not worth it is getting on at the second stop (Newark) and have a bathroom filled to the top with trash and an ungodly stench.
I have to sympathize with you. The bathrooms in BC should not be in that bad of condition at any time during a trip, and as you noted, especially not at the beginning of the run.

I have never found the BC bathrooms to be in anything but good condition even at the end of a run. However, that doesn't excuse or minimize what you found on the Pennsylvania.

I agree with Alan. I would call or email Amtrak and let them know. Make it clear, as you did in your posting here, that you paid extra for BC, and with the deplorable condition of the BC bathroom, you certainly didn't find the up-scale conditions on-board you rightfully expected.

I ride this train a few times per year between PCJ and PGH. Some tips:

1. Pay the extra $$$ for business class. You get Metroliner 2-1 seating in comfy leather seats and an AC outlet at your seat for your laptop/DVD player. etc. If you travel on a bitterly cold day, the water tank in the cafe car may have frozen up, leaving you without coffee! :blink:
  2. There are plenty of things to see and do around the Pittsburgh station. The station is a modified Amshack inside the old PRR station, which has been remodeled into office space and luxury apartments. Although the old waiting room is off limits, take a peek through the windows, or try and ask the security guard to show you around. Pittsburgh's famed Strip District is directly behind the station and contains the excellent Heinz History Center, a wealth of interesting food stores like Pennsylvania Macaroni and eateries like Lidia's Restaurant or De Luca's. The Andy Warhol Museum is a 10-minute walk across the Andy Warhol Bridge.
  3. OTP of the train is pretty decent. According to this site, the average delay for the past 4 weeks for WB trains has been 12 minutes.
  4. If you decide to spend an evening in Pittsburgh, Priceline will get you insane discounts on 4-star hotels within a short walk of the station. On my past two trips to Pgh, I stayed at the Renaissance for $59/night and the Westin (across the street from the station) for $79/night.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to PM me with any additional questions!

... Priceline will get you insane discounts on 4-star hotels within a short walk of the station.
My experience with Priceline has been quite different that yours. To make it worse, Priceline's CS motto seems to be "any problems are your tough luck", "we have your money and there are never any refunds".

I did the Priceline thing when I had to go to FL unexpectedly last winter. Like you, I did tried for a 4 star hotel. Well, what I got wasn't. The hotel really had two sections. Their 4 star section with free WiFi, free continental breakfast, free newspaper, etc. Then there is the 1 or 2 star "economy" section, with nothing. I got dumped into the "economy" section.

I could have gotten a better room than what I was given, at the hotel just across the street, for less money just by walking in (no "bid" stuff, no website discounts). :eek:

Yea, it was my fault. Or so Priceline later told me. Just because I "bid" for a 4 star hotel, doesn't mean I "bid" for a 4 star room. As far as Priceline is concerned, if the hotel wants to put a Priceline customer in the janitor's closet in the basement, that is perfectly fine with Priceline. :rolleyes:

BTW, on Priceline's feedback website, I put a total accounting of what happened. It was reviewed by Priceline, approved, and posted. After a week, though, it got deleted. I found out that hotels have absolute veto power over any and all feedback, and my hotel veto'ed my feedback. Obviously, this hotel doesn't want any new customers to know about their "bait and switch" scheme.

And Priceline keeps sending them new suckers, ah, new customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride this train a few times per year between PCJ and PGH. Some tips:

1. Pay the extra $$$ for business class. You get Metroliner 2-1 seating in comfy leather seats and an AC outlet at your seat for your laptop/DVD player. etc. If you travel on a bitterly cold day, the water tank in the cafe car may have frozen up, leaving you without coffee! :blink:
  2. There are plenty of things to see and do around the Pittsburgh station. The station is a modified Amshack inside the old PRR station, which has been remodeled into office space and luxury apartments. Although the old waiting room is off limits, take a peek through the windows, or try and ask the security guard to show you around. Pittsburgh's famed Strip District is directly behind the station and contains the excellent Heinz History Center, a wealth of interesting food stores like Pennsylvania Macaroni and eateries like Lidia's Restaurant or De Luca's. The Andy Warhol Museum is a 10-minute walk across the Andy Warhol Bridge.
  3. OTP of the train is pretty decent. According to this site, the average delay for the past 4 weeks for WB trains has been 12 minutes.
  4. If you decide to spend an evening in Pittsburgh, Priceline will get you insane discounts on 4-star hotels within a short walk of the station. On my past two trips to Pgh, I stayed at the Renaissance for $59/night and the Westin (across the street from the station) for $79/night.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to PM me with any additional questions!
I already took the trip, but thanks for the info! So where do they "wye" the train in Pittsburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back