Pere Marquette and baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arubafanatic

Train Attendant
I am transferring to the Pere Marquette from the Texas Eagle and my checked bag is a large 30 inch or so piece of luggage that's too heavy and big for the overhead. Can I take this on the Pere Marquette. How can I handle the bag?

I am transferring to the Pere Marquette from the Texas Eagle and my checked bag is a large 30 inch or so piece of luggage that's too heavy and big for the overhead. Can I take this on the Pere Marquette. How can I handle the bag?
Call Amtrak for the straight scoop.

I would recommend getting a Red Cap at CUS to assist you (if necessary). I am not specifically familiar with the PM but most cars have space at the end of the car (either a luggage rack or a space with no seats) to place large bags.

Call Amtrak for the straight scoop.
And you'll probably get three different answers, sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a luggage area at one end of each car where you should be able to store your bag. Although you would be surprised at just what the overheads can hold, especially in terms of weight.

If you're positive that the bag doesn't weight more than 50 lbs and doesn't majorly exceed the carry on demensions, then consider asking a redcap for help as that will get you out to the train earlier and guarantee that you get first dibs on the luggage areas at the end of the cars. But if you over the 50 lbs mark, or way out on the demensions, then don't ask a redcap as they not only may refuse to help, they might warn a gate agent that you're in violation of the carry-on code.

If you're positive that the bag doesn't weight more than 50 lbs and doesn't majorly exceed the carry on demensions, then consider asking a redcap for help
But if OP has the bag checked on the TE, then it is within the weight and size limits!
Quite right. Missed that part somehow. ;)
Unless it was checked as overweight... Some stations (NYP, WAS, SEA) won't look at you if you're at 51 pounds... but I happen to know PDX and sometimes CHI will take a 60 pound bag, putting a special marker on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back