Philly to SF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this site, so many useful tips. I am traveling from Philadelphia to San Francisco for the first time on June 30th. Philly to DC, DC to Chicago and Chicago to SF. I am so psyched and can't wait until the 30th!

I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this site, so many useful tips. I am traveling from Philadelphia to San Francisco for the first time on June 30th. Philly to DC, DC to Chicago and Chicago to SF. I am so psyched and can't wait until the 30th!
Be sure to let us know how the trip went when you get back. Enjoy!

Welcome!
hi.gif

I am traveling from Philadelphia to San Francisco for the first time on June 30th.
Be sure to sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) before your trip!
wink.gif
If you would like a referral (that gives you a higher sign-up bonus), I'll be glad to refer you! Just send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address. (Don't post it online!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have one roomette from Chicago to Denver and then they are making me switch to another from Denver to SF. I just got off the phone with Amtrak to see if they could keep me in the same place for the whole trip. The operator suggested that I talk to the room attendant and that they probably would not make me switch. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to not have to transfer my stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If you talk to your Car attendant, I'm almost sure they can help you, unless you were placed in the CHI-DEN sleeper, and all other rooms are sold!

Because you have a roomette, I assume you are spending big $$! I really want to stress that you should join AGR! Being you live around Philly, you can get a free trip anywhere from Montreal, Niagara Falls, Portland (ME), Washington and beyond from just this one trip!
wink.gif
I strongly suggest that you do sign up for AGR!

PM me with your email address before June 30. There is currently a promotion where if you are referred, you get a 1,500 point sign up bonus. You can also sign up yourself, but you only get a 500 point sign up bonus!
wink.gif

I will have one roomette from Chicago to Denver and then they are making me switch to another from Denver to SF. I just got off the phone with Amtrak to see if they could keep me in the same place for the whole trip. The operator suggested that I talk to the room attendant and that they probably would not make me switch. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to not have to transfer my stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
As the-traveler said, talk with your Sleeping car attendant soon as you board in CHI, the conductors change every few hours, once you have some info from the SCA they can be your co-conspiriter in getting you situated BEFORE Denver since you arrive in the early AM! ;) Dont forget to get to the Sightseer Lounge also before you leave the Denver Station so you are assured of a seat for the spectacular scenery West of Denver, :cool: it gets crowded fast! :excl:

I'm not familiar with Philly but I've had some great times touring SF. Add me to the list of jealous folks who hope to live vicariously through your trip report. *hint* *hint* ;)

Received a call from Amtrak regarding my room change in Denver. What a nice surprise! They are able to accommodate me and I will not have to change rooms.

I'm packing today and have my Amtrak survival pack...duct tape, flash light, binder clips.

First train trip + 2 weeks in San Francisco = ONE WONDERFUL VACATION!!

I wrote a diary so when I get my self together I will certainly post a trip report. Great time and great people!

As an alternative you could catch the Cardinal at Philadelphia and ride it all the way to Chicagos Union Station. One less connection to make. Enjoy the trip. Sounds like lots of fun lies ahead. SF is a nice city but its a "wide open city". Almost anything goes there. The food, historic sites and attractions are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back