PHL - Was Regional Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John King

Train Attendant
Next Friday, we are booked on regional rail out of PHL arriving at WAS at 2:59 p.m. and catching the CL which departs at 4:05 p.m., a little over an hour later. Do you think that's enough time to make the connection? It's about a 2 hour trip out of PHL to WAS.

And just FYI, you're booked on the Northeast Regional. If you try to take "Regional Rail" from Philadelphia, you won't get further than Newark, Delaware.

Next Friday, we are booked on regional rail out of PHL arriving at WAS at 2:59 p.m. and catching the CL which departs at 4:05 p.m., a little over an hour later. Do you think that's enough time to make the connection? It's about a 2 hour trip out of PHL to WAS.
You mean a Regional or Northeast Regional, not Regional Rail. Regional Rail in PHL refers to Septa. I was confused reading your post.

A One hour connection at WAS is a little close IMO. And If you have a sleeper on the CL you can use Clubacela at PHL and WAS. Just show your Sleeper ticket. But I would consider moving your train to an earlier train to make sure you make your connection. You can either call 1800USARAIL or do it at the ticket office at PHL. Either way you would have to goto the ticket office at PHL if you have your tickets. You would need to exchange them. Give them your reservation number and your tickets and they will give you your new ones to DC. If you have sleeper tickets and didn't pick them up yet you can pick them up at CA.

Wow... In the time it took me to type my post three others posted! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Northeast Regional 125. I called this a.m. to change to an earlier train, #141, and the rep told me it would be an extra $40 to make the change - each. When i bought the 2 tix a month ago I think I paid $67 or so - for both. So an extra 80 is pretty steep. But I wouldn't think it was steep if I ended up missing my connection in WAS. Is there a place to check the historical on-time record for that train?

Yes, Northeast Regional 125. I called this a.m. to change to an earlier train, #141, and the rep told me it would be an extra $40 to make the change - each. When i bought the 2 tix a month ago I think I paid $67 or so - for both. So an extra 80 is pretty steep. But I wouldn't think it was steep if I ended up missing my connection in WAS. Is there a place to check the historical on-time record for that train?
I'm not sure.. Others are more then willing to correct me. But if you want to change trains there shouldn't be a charge for it.

I bought the tix from PHL to DAL - 3 trains, one reservation. i won't make that mistake again. And my sister has a different reservation as she decided to tag along after I made my plans. I think the agent was going to cancel out the original reservations and give me new ones. I'll call again and see if I have better luck with a different agent. Or, just get to PHL early and request the change. I don't have the tix in hand - I misplaced some from a previous trip for a few days and was a wreck when I discovered what a hassle it would be to get a refund - so now I wait until I get to the station to get the tix in hand. But hey are paid for.

I bought the tix from PHL to DAL - 3 trains, one reservation. i won't make that mistake again.
That's not a mistake, that's what gives you a guaranteed connection. If you had 3 separate reservations and one of your trains runs late enough that you miss a connection, there's a chance that you'll be stuck somewhere without a ride.
Not having all of your trains on one reservation wouldn't solve your current problem either.

I bought the tix from PHL to DAL - 3 trains, one reservation. i won't make that mistake again. And my sister has a different reservation as she decided to tag along after I made my plans. I think the agent was going to cancel out the original reservations and give me new ones. I'll call again and see if I have better luck with a different agent. Or, just get to PHL early and request the change.
I'm a little confused!
unsure.gif
What change do you have to make?
huh.gif
If one of you have a sleeper and want to add the other, all you have to do is call up and associate the 2 reservations together - to add the other person!

In fact, it may result in a refund, because when you have a sleeper, both "rail fares" are charged at the low bucket fare. Thus if either of you paid more than low bucket, a refund is due to you!
biggrin.gif

And unless it is an AGR award ticket (you said that you BOUGHT a ticket), it is less to buy 1 reservation then 3! Otherwise instead of the fare from PHL to DAL, it would be priced as

• PHL-WAS or PHL-PGH or PHL-NYP PLUS
  • WAS-CHI or PGH-CHI or NYP-CHI PLUS
  • CHI-DAL

I'm sure it would result in a higher fare!
rolleyes.gif

Is the guaranteed connection "understood"? That is, I did not request it and don't recall seeing it on the Amtrak website and it isn't stated on my reservation confirmation - but I read about it here. Does the guaranteed connection mean if I miss the CL because the NER 125 is late, they put me up for the night so I catch it the next day? Other than arriving later to my final destination - If all my connections are guaranteed then no need for me to worry - is there?

I bought the tix from PHL to DAL - 3 trains, one reservation. i won't make that mistake again. And my sister has a different reservation as she decided to tag along after I made my plans. I think the agent was going to cancel out the original reservations and give me new ones. I'll call again and see if I have better luck with a different agent. Or, just get to PHL early and request the change.
I'm a little confused!
unsure.gif
What change do you have to make?
huh.gif
If one of you have a sleeper and want to add the other, all you have to do is call up and associate the 2 reservations together - to add the other person!

In fact, it may result in a refund, because when you have a sleeper, both "rail fares" are charged at the low bucket fare. Thus if either of you paid more than low bucket, a refund is due to you!
biggrin.gif

And unless it is an AGR award ticket (you said that you BOUGHT a ticket), it is less to buy 1 reservation then 3! Otherwise instead of the fare from PHL to DAL, it would be priced as

• PHL-WAS or PHL-PGH or PHL-NYP PLUS
  • WAS-CHI or PGH-CHI or NYP-CHI PLUS
  • CHI-DAL

I'm sure it would result in a higher fare!
rolleyes.gif
I am considering changing my PHL-WAS to an earlier train so I don't miss the CL at 4:05. I have approximately a one hour layover in DC and was worried about missing the CL if my Northeast Regional is late. And you are correct - I made my reservation, and a week later we made a second reservation for my sister, and she will be sharing the room with me on the CL and the TE. By bought I mean I paid for it with a credit card. Can one make a reservation and not pay for it at the time the reservation is made?

Is the guaranteed connection "understood"? That is, I did not request it and don't recall seeing it on the Amtrak website and it isn't stated on my reservation confirmation - but I read about it here. Does the guaranteed connection mean if I miss the CL because the NER 125 is late, they put me up for the night so I catch it the next day? Other than arriving later to my final destination - If all my connections are guaranteed then no need for me to worry - is there?
Yes. If both legs are on the same reservation, then you're exactly right (if the difference is slight, they may either hold the CL for arriving passengers or put you on a bus to catch you up with the CL).

Yes. If both legs are on the same reservation, then you're exactly right (if the difference is slight, they may either hold the CL for arriving passengers or put you on a bus to catch you up with the CL).
That's the part of the guarantee I dislike, but it beats what the airlines offer. Also, if Amtrak chooses the next train a day later, and there is no sleeper space, you go COACH...........

As stated, just call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL and have the agent associate the 2 reservations and add her name to the room reservation. This way, you will both get all included meals and maybe (as stated) a refund!
cool.gif

If you book online, there is no way of not paying when you reserve. However, when you book via phone, you can defer payment. The agent will give you a "purchase by" date which they have to be paid for.

And if you input "FROM A" and "TO B" on the "regular" screen (not the multi city screen) and a choice comes up, that connection is guaranteed.

As stated, just call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL and have the agent associate the 2 reservations and add her name to the room reservation. This way, you will both get all included meals and maybe (as stated) a refund!
cool.gif

If you book online, there is no way of not paying when you reserve. However, when you book via phone, you can defer payment. The agent will give you a "purchase by" date which they have to be paid for.

And if you input "FROM A" and "TO B" on the "regular" screen (not the multi city screen) and a choice comes up, that connection is guaranteed.

so I am a little confused. I have a trip this summer with two different reservations. Should I call and have them associated or are they already guaranteed since they come up as an option in the From A to B scenario?

I have a trip this summer with two different reservations. Should I call and have them associated or are they already guaranteed since they come up as an option in the From A to B scenario?
Yes!

I don't know where you traveling from and to, but using NYP-LAX, you may have tickets for

1. NYP-CHI
  2. CHI-LAX

So ticket #1 says your trip ends in CHI, and trip #2 says your trip begins in CHI. If your trip from NYP is so late that you miss your connection, Amtrak will do nothing for you because you are ending your reservation in CHI!
ohmy.gif
However, if you associate the reservations, and the connection is missed, it is Amtrak's responsibility!
smile.gif

Thank you. I will be on the Cardinal from Virginia to Chicago and then EB from Chi to WGL. I will call and have those associated, then.

I tried to call and do that and was told that it was unnecessary. Since the connection (mine was SWC to CL) is guaranteed, it didn't matter if they were on the same reservation or not.

Not sure that I believe it, and didn't have a chance to test it (thankfully).

As I understand the policy, as long as you have tickets in hand for a guaranteed connection, it doesn't matter if they're on the same reservation or not. The key is, though, that you have to have your tickets. "I was going to buy my connecting ticket once I got to..." doesn't cut it.

However, there is a very real advantage to having your connections on one PNR. When a train is running late, station folks will get a list of connecting passengers from Arrow, which will include their connecting train and final destination. The decision on whether or not to hold a train for connections is very much dependent on the number of people making the connection. If you're not on the list, they may not even think to hold your connection.

I'm not sure.. Others are more then willing to correct me. But if you want to change trains there shouldn't be a charge for it.
Of course there is a possibility that there is a change in pricing if you are changing NER trains/reservations. If the earlier train is at a higher bucket when you make the change, you pay the higher bucket fare at the time.

However, I have personally traveled on earlier NER trains than the one I have been ticketed on and the conductor has just said "oh, caught an earlier train, I see" and it hasnt' been a big deal. But there is no guarantee that your experience would be the same as mine. Whenever I have done this, its only been between BOS - PVD and that is a very short distance that is rarely sold out.

However, I have personally traveled on earlier NER trains than the one I have been ticketed on and the conductor has just said "oh, caught an earlier train, I see" and it hasnt' been a big deal. But there is no guarantee that your experience would be the same as mine. Whenever I have done this, its only been between BOS - PVD and that is a very short distance that is rarely sold out.
Like amamba, I have also done so. Only I had 2 tickets (BBY-PVD and PVD-KIN) and got the same "caught an earlier train" line. And when I said "I'm actually going to KIN", the conductor took both tickets - and there was no problem!
cool.gif

The only problem I see is that PHL has gate agents checking tickets. If possible, I might "invest" and buy a PHL-WAS ticket (separately), use that to get past the gate agent and then use the other one on the train!
ph34r.gif
Then later, request a voucher for that ticket!
biggrin.gif
(Remember that unused tickets are good for 1 year, so I wouldn't request a voucher until near the end of that period - if you had not used it yet!
tongue.gif
)

Like amamba, I have also done so. Only I had 2 tickets (BBY-PVD and PVD-KIN) and got the same "caught an earlier train" line. And when I said "I'm actually going to KIN", the conductor took both tickets - and there was no problem!
cool.gif

The only problem I see is that PHL has gate agents checking tickets. If possible, I might "invest" and buy a PHL-WAS ticket (separately), use that to get past the gate agent and then use the other one on the train!
ph34r.gif
Then later, request a voucher for that ticket!
biggrin.gif
(Remember that unused tickets are good for 1 year, so I wouldn't request a voucher until near the end of that period - if you had not used it yet!
tongue.gif
)
Good point about the gate agents. I encountered one in PHL one time that was a nightmare. I went to PHL for the day from WAS, and while at a Phillies game, Amtrak called me with an automated call to say that my SB NER back to WAS had been cancelled, that they had rebooked me on the next SB NER, and that I could use my ticket form my cancelled train on my new train. When it was time to go down to the platform, with the train approaching PHL, the gate agent looked at my ticket and told me my ticket was not good and I would be thrown off at WIL. I ran to the ticket window, rudely butted in line and was able to get a supervisor to tell me the gate agent was wrong. I barely made the train.

Now the gate agent never actually told me I couldn't board, but she sure tried to keep me off the train, and caused a lot of unnecessary stress and havoc for me.

Point is: The gate agents in PHL can sometimes be power tripping jerks and another "hurdle" to jump over. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back